Greatest Hit or Albums

What's Hot

Comments

• TanninTannin Frets: 6020
    Albums every time. An album is a connected, ordered set of songs with some sort of theme. (If it is just random tracks, well it's probably crap anyway.)

The only exception  is where the band themselves put a collection of odds and ends together, such as a few singles and an EP, and made a tasty dish out of the leftovers. Living in the Past is an example.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BlueStratBlueStrat Frets: 1018
    I have only a few greatest hits albums 
    queen (doesn’t everyone have this)
    bowie
    fleetwood mac 
    the eagles (I have no idea how I came to own this)
    Rolling Stones 
    Bands that I’m only vaguely interested in, except the eagles who I have no interest at all. 

I’d doubt I’d ever have a greatest hits album from a band that I was really into. 
    Just realised I have the Beatles hits cd but that was a Chrimbo prezzie 

greatest hits are a great way to be introduced to a band. Years ago I was given a greatest hits of both Hendrix and SRV and that sparked my interest in guitar music. 

After typing that I’ve remembered I also have Rory Gallagher greatest hits, but they’re absolute belters 
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 25006
    Interesting thread - though I might be about to make an uninteresting contribution…

The generally rule for me, is if I like a few singles, I’ll buy a ‘Best Of’. If I ‘really’ like someone, I’ll buy everything they’ve done.

There are some exceptions - notably Pink Floyd; I love Wish You Were Here, quite like Dark Side of the Moon and don’t like much else - especially The Wall (apart from Another Brick in the Wall and Comfortably Numb). A ‘Best Of’ to deal with the rest, would be fine.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 8078
    edited August 2022
    I really dislike Greatest Hits as a rule. Bob

Dylan's best of actually killed any thought of him for years until I listened to Love & Theft, blood on the tracks and Highway 61 Revisited.

Marley's greatest hits misses out a bunch of good stuff, better to buy Babylon by bus if only trying out one album.

So with that said certain Greatest hits that are ok, maybe because some of these artists make alot of filler on each album

Fleetwood Mac, The Stones, Queen, Simon & Garfunkel, The Doors & Enya

Oh yes, re Bowie the best of is decent enough but The Next Day, Ziggy stardust are standalone albums are worth listening to. 

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 13736
    Of course, given we are in the 21st century the answer is "playlists"... ;)
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GrangousierGrangousier Frets: 2797
    Well, regarding Steely Dan, I managed to combine the two - in the early days of the iTunes Store someone made the clerical error of classing Citizen Steely Dan (a boxed set of all their 1970s work, including FM and Here At the Western World) as a single album, so I managed to get a compilation of everything they'd done up to 1980 for £7.99. I already had the albums, but mostly on vinyl. 

The Wayne Shorter solo is on the title track on Aja, but it is astonishing, as CaseOfAce says - one take and done, too. 

Dirty Work is one of the songs that David Palmer sang on the first album, so it has a slightly different feel. I think the perfect version of that song would be Linda Ronstadt circa 1974, but sadly that's something that can only exist in my imagination. 

I love Steely Dan unreservedly, even the 2000s albums and Donald's solo albums, but I can see why they might annoy people. 

I've always gone for albums over compilations, with the exception of a few times when I really just wanted one song, and thought it was better to get that song and the other hits rather than that song and a bunch of unknown tracks. 

• PjonPjon Frets: 335
    I've bought plenty of 'Best Of' albums by the smaller bands that I like, just to support them in some way. Normally they aren't labelled as 'Best Of' though.
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 4159
    I had every Jam album and most of the singles when I was a kid. I strived to have everything in picture cover (vinyl) but never quite got there as a skint 12 year old. I had a couple of the old jukebox specials without the middle in them, in paper sleeves too; would never have turned my nose up at anything Jam related. I used to scour record fairs, Boots, WH Smiths, HMV, the local indie record shops (my favourites) for Damned stuff too, but The Jam came ahead of them for me back then.

When SNAP (greatest hits) was released, however I had to have it, even though I had everything on it repeatedly anyway and Santa delivered it to me in the Christmas of 1983. I just had to have everything related to them, if only to look at the artwork and sleeves (of which getting to see things lke lyrics first hand were a massive thing to me.

Anyway, I'm rambling. What was the question again?
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 14266
    edited August 2022
    OK then than so what's your favourite Greatest Hits album?

Fleetwood Mac's 1971 Greatest Hits takes some beating IMO Greatest Hits (1971 Fleetwood Mac album) - Wikipedia

The Damned's 1981 Another Great Record From The Damned The Best Of The Damned is good too

The Damned - Another Great Record From The Damned: The Best Of The Damned | Releases | Discogs

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25109

Can I count the Beatles Red and Blue albums?  I'm not a massive Beatles fan, but those two albums are brilliantly put together.

Status Quo's 12 Gold Bars - I don't even own it (my brother had a copy), but that's a great compilation of hits by a band whose albums I'm never likely to buy.
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12886

Fleetwood Mac's 1971 Greatest Hits takes some beating IMO Greatest Hits (1971 Fleetwood Mac album) - Wikipedia

The Damned's 1981 Another Great Record From The Damned The Best Of The Damned is good too

The Damned - Another Great Record From The Damned: The Best Of The Damned | Releases | Discogs
    The first greatest hits album I ever remember was the Jam, my brother got it on vinyl when he was 16 and I was 14 and we listened to that pretty relentlessly thats probably my favourite.

These days the byrds, beach boys and eagles are probably the greatest hits I listen to the most.
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6375
    The late 70s release of Steely Dan's Greatest Hits was/is a superb compilation of their material. Whoever chose the track list was a genius as it beautifully presented the growth of their music over that decade.
    Over 40 years later it's still my favourite greatest-hits album.
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    Here's a really bad greatest hits album.  The Best of Free: All Right Now (1991).  Remixed by Bob Clearmountain. 
    I don't normally notice much difference with remasters and remixes, but this one sounds really shit.

FREE - All Right Now Best of - Amazoncom Music
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • horsehorse Frets: 1648
    On one end of the spectrum I'd have a greatest hits / best of when I'm not bothered about owning the rest - Donovan for example (not Jason!). On the other end of the spectrum I'll sometimes buy the best of when I've already got the individual albums, sometimes from a collecting / completist angle, sometimes because it can be nice to hear some of the tracks in a different order.

I got the Nick Drake Way to Blue compilation before the individual albums, and in some ways it is still my favourite.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74495
    Philly_Q said:

Can I count the Beatles Red and Blue albums?  I'm not a massive Beatles fan, but those two albums are brilliantly put together.

Status Quo's 12 Gold Bars - I don't even own it (my brother had a copy), but that's a great compilation of hits by a band whose albums I'm never likely to buy.
    I think there's a pretty strong argument that the Red and Blue albums together are the best Best Of album ever made. If it's too much of a cheat to have two, I'd pick the Blue one.

12 Gold Bars is a great one too - and unlike many that are released relatively early in a band's career, it does cover all the great stuff - they really didn't do much that was very good after Whatever You Want, sadly.

I would also pick Elton John's Greatest Hits - the one with him in the white suit and hat in front of the piano (I know, that probably describes several of them!) - that covers pretty much all his really great songs.

I had all of these as a teenager and wore them out...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Prefer albums as that's how the artist intended it to be heard...and I'm old and nostalgic.

I mostly thought 'best of's were something that people with no idea bought at Christmas...used to depress me when you'd walk into HMV as December approached and all the 'new release' space was replaced by Meatloaf and Maria.

I've got this really odd CD with the best of Chic sharing a single disc with the best of Rose Royce...proper mid 90s bargain bin find!

However, there are 'guilty pleasure' exceptions: I love 'The Collection' by Ultravox ;)
  • horse said:
    I got the Nick Drake Way to Blue compilation before the individual albums, and in some ways it is still my favourite.
    I heard 'River Man' in the early 90s and I was straight out to buy the box set!
    edited August 2022
    OK, it took a while to go through my iTunes library, but here are all the artists which I *only* have best of/greatest hits/singles albums...

Air Supply
    Al Green
    Anastacia
    Andy Williams
    The Animals
    Aretha Franklin
    B-52s
    B.B. King
    Bananarama
    The Bangles
    Basement Jaxx
    The Beautiful South
    Bill Haley
    Billy Joel
    Billy Ocean
    Blancmange
    Blink-182
    The Bluebells
    Blur
    Bo Diddley
    Bread
    Brenda Lee
    Britney Spears
    Buddy Holly
    Canned Heat
    Carl Perkins
    Carly Simon
    Cher
    Chic
    Chuck Berry
    Creedence Clearwater Revival
    Culture Club
    The Cure
    Curtis Mayfield
    Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Tich
    Dead Can Dance
    Delerium
    Depeche Mode
    Diana Ross & The Supremes
    Dolly Parton
    Donna Summer
    The Drifters
    Dusty Springfield
    Earth Wind & Fire
    Eddy Grant
    Ella Fitzgerald
    Elmore James
    Elvis Costello
    Emerson Lake & Palmer
    En Vogue
    Etta James
    The Everly Brothers
    Feeder
    Freemasons
    Fun Boy Three
    Gerry Rafferty
    Glen Campbell
    Glen Miller
    Grace Jones
    Grandmaster Flash
    Hank Williams
    Heart
    Heaven 17
    House Of Love
    The Housemartins
    Howlin' Wolf
    The Human League
    Ian Dury & The Blockheads
    The Ink Spots
    INXS
    The Jam
    Japan
    Joan Armatrading
    Joe Jackson
    John Denver
    John Lee Hooker
    Kim Wilde
    The Kinks
    Leadbelly
    Leftfield
    Lightning Seeds
    Lionel Richie
    Little Richard
    Louis Armstrong
    Louis Jordan
    The Lovin' Spoonful
    Madness
    The Mamas & The Papas
    Marilyn Monroe
    The Monkees
    Mott The Hoople
    Neil Diamond
    Nik Kershaw
    Nina Simone
    The Only Ones
    Otis Redding
    Pat Benatar
    Paul Young
    Pete Seeger
    Pixies
    The Police
    The Rezillos
    Ricky Martin
    Robert Johnson
    Robert Palmer
    Sam Cooke
    Sash!
    Scott Walker/The Walker Brothers
    Siouxsie & The Banshees
    The Shadows
    The Shangri-Las
    Slade
    Smashing Pumpkins
    Sparks
    The Specials
    Steeleye Span
    The Stranglers
    The Style Council
    Suzanne Vega
    T. Rex
    Talulah Gosh
    The Temptations
    Thin Lizzy
    Tina Turner
    Tom Petty
    Visage
    Wet Wet Wet
    Whitney Houston
    Woody Guthrie

That's a vast amount of great (and some not quite so great!) music I would be missing out on by not having them.

... and OK, there's also undoubtedly some great music I'm missing by *not* having any original albums by them, but I'm not sure I have the time, space or money to fix that even for the artists whose album output is actually worth listening to.

(Update: bought a couple more albums at the weekend which changed the list slightly!)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Holy shit @ICBM that's quite a list!  It reminded me that I have a Pixies best-of and a Chic one.  It also popped into my head that I have the Best of Atlanta Rhythm Section, I'm not sure what inspired me to buy that.
    edited August 2022
    I've also got tons of other ones where the artist has one or two great albums which I've got, but only a scattering of other good songs, so I have the best-of to cover those without buying the whole catalogue - and a few where I have almost everything they've ever released, so if the best-of has a track or two that aren't on any original album I have to have it as well .

There are a few on that big list where I've owned some of the original albums, but in the end found I only liked the well-known tracks enough to keep, so ditched the albums and kept the best-of. And there are certainly some where I really should get the original albums - in some cases did have, on vinyl years ago - The Jam being the first one that jumps out at me from reading my list... so doing that was actually a worthwhile exercise!

I forgot to say too - I've always thought Bob Clearmountain was a mixing genius, but that Free album really is abysmal. I had it years ago, but thankfully I've now replaced everything on it with the full set of original albums (apart from Tons Of Sobs, which I seem to be missing) - and even then, you still need The Free Story for My Brother Jake and a couple of others.