Judith Durham RIP

What's Hot
ShrewsShrews Frets: 3056
Lead vocals with The Seekers.  Such a great voice, right up there with Whitney, Adele and Karen Carpenter for crystal clarity. 

http://https//youtu.be/wsIbfYEizLk

This song reminds me of being a small child and my mum singing it a lot. RIP Judith. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6166
    Oh that's such sad news. She was such an icon of the 1960s with her long dark hair, cool fashion sense and that wonderful rich voice. A real part of my childhood that I have very fond memories of.
    This footage is cracking stuff.
    RIP Judith, you were one of a kind.

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23098
    I have to be honest, I only found out today that The Seekers were Australian.  I'd always thought they were British.

@equalsql that's a great clip.  It's not really the kind of music I'd seek out (...that pun was unintentional, but I decided to leave it), but I'm a bit of a sucker for anything with harmony vocals.  Very nice.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14573
    A voice familiar to Fretboarders of a certain age. As much a part of the UK Folk Music scene furniture as Jacqui McShee and Maddy Prior. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6116
    Philly_Q said:
    I have to be honest, I only found out today that The Seekers were Australian.  I'd always thought they were British.
    Perhaps you were thinking of the New Seekers.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23098
    JezWynd said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Perhaps you were thinking of the New Seekers.
    I'm sure I was.  And by extension I just assumed the original Seekers were also British.
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5538
    edited August 2022
    A wonderful voice and a damn good singer. (Not quite the same things.)

Philly_Q said:

Nope Athol Guy (bandleader, front man and bass player) grew up just down the road from me. Later on he became our local MLC, representing the district in parliament for 9 years without in any way either distinguishing himself or disgracing himself. 

• ianian Frets: 17
    Back in the 70s, my brother and I used to listen to a recording of a Seekers show - their final show, on TV, if memory serves me - that my parents had made some years previously on a reel to reel tape recorder. The group were great, the songs were great and Judith's vocals were sublime. 20 years ago my brother got hold of a collection of perhaps everything that the Seekers recorded. RIP Judith.
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15990
    ah, shame. My first crush as it happens
    tae be or not tae be
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9740
    When The Seekers played in Bournemouth a few years ago I was lucky enough to be her driver. Very chatty, very normal, no airs and graces. I was able to sit in the audience for the first half of the show. I hadn’t realised until then just how many hits they’d had and how many were instantly recognisable. 
    RIP
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • AK99AK99 Frets: 1605
    Part of my childhood.  My wife sang the songs to our kids too - so they still love things like Morningtown Ride and the old protest standard We Shall not be Moved:

What an absolutely class voice - and great backing band.
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6732
    Amazing video. Here's the same song from their final concert. It's a bit "A Mighty Wind" but amazing...

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14375
    edited August 2022 tFB Trader
    Some of their songs were sounds I kind of heard when I was a young kid in the late 60's - Georgy Girl in particular - So in a simple kind of way I've always like it - The Carnival's Over is a huge anthem in Oz
    edited August 2022
     The Party's Over is a huge anthem in Oz
    Never heard of it. Maybe The Carnival is Over? Though I wouldn't call it "huge", one of a perhaps dozen big hits they had. Georgy Girl would probably be their best-remembered - maybe because we have all met one of her! 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14375
    tFB Trader
    Tannin said:
     The Party's Over is a huge anthem in Oz
    Never heard of it. Maybe The Carnival is Over? Though I wouldn't call it "huge", one of a perhaps dozen big hits they had. Georgy Girl would probably be their best-remembered - maybe because we have all met one of her! 
    Corrected

I thought the Aussies played this at the end of many functions, new year, parties etc - Kind of their Auld Lang Syne
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4046
    edited August 2022
    What a voice.
    So glad she made that music.
  • MoominpapaMoominpapa Frets: 1649
    One of the greatest voices in popular music: pure, sweet, powerful, and with an instantly recognizable timbre. RIP.
    In the news today, we hear that Tom Springfield died just a few days before Judith Durham did. London-born Tom, brother to singer Dusty Springfield, wrote many songs for the Seekers, among them huge hits in World of Our Own, The Carnival Is Over, I'll Never Find Another You, and Georgy Girl
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • M48M48 Frets: 1
    Tannin said:
    In the news today, we hear that Tom Springfield died just a few days before Judith Durham did. London-born Tom, brother to singer Dusty Springfield, wrote many songs for the Seekers, among them huge hits in World of Our Own, The Carnival Is Over, I'll Never Find Another You, and Georgy Girl
    The Seekers owed a lot to Tom Springfield because without his songwriting and production skills I very much doubt if they would have enjoyed the success they had.

He apparently retired in 1970 and was able to live off the royalties.

• prowlaprowla Frets: 4947
    Just one of the greatest singers and groups of the sixties.
    Those songs take me back to what was on the radio in my childhood.
  • An awesome lady