Truss rod won't budge. Any tips?

What's Hot
Bought a neck off the bay and stupidly didn't check the truss rod before leaving it too long to return.

Anyways... any tips for getting this to budge? The neck has never been used so I am a bit miffed as to why the rod is not turning.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• prowlaprowla Frets: 5119
    Do not use WD40!
  • prowla said:
    Do not use WD40!
    You'll be pleased to know I have resisted the can
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74494
    Deliberately backbow the neck using clamps and supports - that will relieve the tension on the rod. Then see if it moves - especially in the looser direction.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7343
    tFB Trader
    Heat is often a good way to free seized parts. Can you get a soldering iron tip onto the nut?
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17500
    A simple thing sonetimes missed.   Loosen before tightening 
  • It won't budge in any direction. I'll try the soldering iron and if that doesn't work I'll try some clamping. Should I put something under the middle of the neck and then clamp at the 1st and 21st frets down to a worktop? Or is there an easier way?
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 9018
    Depending on where the truss rod access is, it would probably be easier to place it fretboard side down with a block of something at either end, and with the truss rod access facing the edge of the desk/bench, and press the back of the neck down in the middle as you try to move the truss rod.  If you have somebody else to press down as you try the adjustment it would be easier.
  • BillDL said:
    Depending on where the truss rod access is, it would probably be easier to place it fretboard side down with a block of something at either end, and with the truss rod access facing the edge of the desk/bench, and press the back of the neck down in the middle as you try to move the truss rod.  If you have somebody else to press down as you try the adjustment it would be easier.
    Of course it would Bill. I am such a doof!!
    Indeed, but I am too much of a gentleman to say so  ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BillDL said:
    Indeed, but I am too much of a gentleman to say so  ;)
    :lol:
  • I assume it was bought used?  If it's new, and faulty, return periods don't count, surely?
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• I assume it was bought used?  If it's new, and faulty, return periods don't count, surely?
    Yes it was used/finished but never installed. I wonder why ?  :/
    Any luck so far getting the truss rod nut to turn?
  • Ah yes, the truss rod! Well I had a go at it at the weekend Bill. 2 blocks wrapped in cloth at either end of the fretboard and a clamp in the middle. I could still only move it under an 1/8 of a turn in either direction. I was thinking of getting a heavier duty g-clamp on it. The one I used was a squeeze mechanism, but I think it needs a good old fashioned threaded g-clamp. I'll get a heavy duty one off the old man. He's got all the tools ;)
    I suppose it depends whether you are willing to potentially scrap the neck.  Personally I would be quite worried if I had to use more pressure than offered by a squeeze clamp, but as long as you use a G clamp in tiny increments and listen out for any signs of wood beginning to crack you might be OK.  Two things to bear in mind is that if this is a rosewood fingerboard on a different wood neck you are trying to bend two different types of wood.  By bending the neck into a back bow you could potentially be widening the fret slots by a hair's width and it is possible for frets to loosen a tiny bit.  Just something extra to worry about while listening for creaking turning to cracking  :)
    Have you tried heat yet?
  • @WezV I did try a heat gun. The neck is in my shed but I might bring it in the house and stick it on my heated floor to "soften" it up a bit as the temp outside has dropped quite a bit lately. 

Thanks @BillDL didn't think of that. It will be a steady as she goes approach  :#
    Try a soldering iron on the truss rod, heat the metal directly
  • WezV said:
    Try a soldering iron on the truss rod, heat the metal directly
    Did try that but probably not for long enough. Might try again with a heavier tip.
  • An update for anyone that is interested. I couldn't get the rod to turn any more than 5mm, so I have strung it up and it appears to be ok. So I will leave this one for now and revisit next year... maybe ;)

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom