In time for the Q4 Challenge?

What's Hot
With the other guitar hardening off in the finishing shop (aka "wetroom", apparently), thought I'd try to squeeze another in before the end of the Q4 challenge.

Here's some wood

I've got a set of Tele pickups from Mr Oil City which are looking for a home, and an Ebony Tele neck from Mr GSP which is looking for a body.

'Cept I'm not a great fan of the slab-sided Tele body shape, so the vague notion is to tweak the shape a bit and add some top carving.

Finish will be clear (the Liberon French Polish again) because I bought wood I liked to the look of!  But I might gold grain fill it first.
Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Gorgeous blank Tony, that’s going to be lovely!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3102
    What a great idea! Good start..
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27978
    I did some guitar building, without making any sawdust!

TTony said:
     I'm not a great fan of the slab-sided Tele body shape, so the vague notion is to tweak the shape a bit and add some top carving.

Something like this ...

Need to work out why the carving on the lower horn isn't quite working, and move the neck mounting cavity and screw holes into the body a bit further.

Thought I'd rear mount the p'ups, hence the small slots for them.

In theory, I should be able to put a piece of timber on the CNC machine and just press GO.
    TeleIsh1.JPG 176.9K
    TeleIsh2.JPG 189.9K
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • M1ckM1ck Frets: 231
    edited November 2022
    TTony said:

Need to work out why the carving on the lower horn isn't quite working
    Looking at the model above it looks (to me) like you may have several radii around that edge! You may have to tweak it a bit to get it smooth! Is there a ‘blender’ or ‘smooth’ function in the software you are using to create the model? 
    3d packages don’t like curves that intersect themselves 
    Cheers @M1ck - I think you're probably correct.  I spent a while tweaking the carve shape/size and the path for the rails, and managed to resolve most of the initial problems.,

I can either put a few more hours into that, or get the sandpaper out afterwards!
  • M1ckM1ck Frets: 231
    Personally I would try and get it right! But that’s just me, I’ve done too many jobs I the past where where people aren’t prepared to meet anywhere in the mid ground, and tackle a minor issue such as that, even as a one off! Also if you get it right now it will almost certainly look better when it’s finished as the curve/radius/carve however you wish to describe it will be right.
    I don’t know what your using to generate your model but is there an option to set the path around the vertical side say 6mm down from the top face (or whatever distance you want) and use a variable radius? That way it ‘should’ all blend in there may also be a ‘smooth’ option which does what it’s says! 
    Done some more work on the sticky-outy lower horn bit, and that's a lot smoother now.

I'd originally used an "auto-close" for an open vector where I'd shaped the carve.  Deleted that section and added some more curves to join the open vector manually, and the sticky-out bit has gone.

The design side is an interesting challenge, but I fear I could end up spending more time getting to grips with that, than it would take me to build the guitar by hand.  I'm not going to be doing a production run, I'm really just trying to get far enough up the learning curve to make life a little easier, rather than making life a lot harder by trying to get to the top of the learning curve!
    Teleish4.JPG 168.6K
    Rather than trying my first full-cut on a piece of tasty timber, I thought using some mdf would be more sensible.

Can you see what it is yet??
    A couple of hours later - having watched it for most of those hours, I've worked out where I can improve the cutting efficiency, so it'll be quicker next time - and this came off the machine;

I tweaked the shape of the lower horn before I began.  Decided that the original shape was too bulky / bulbous.

The raised section between the carve and the top of the body is a me-mistake.  Probably two me-mistakes, one followed by another.  I think I left a small gap above the material (mistake #1) after I changed some dimensions just before cutting.  Hence the machine was surfacing off the excess.  But I didn't-trust-the-machine, so (mistake #2) I stopped that job when I thought it would be cutting into the carve area.  With hindisight, if I'd left it for another 5mins, it would probably have all ended happily.

No matter, that's why I used MDF instead of timber!

A few tweaks to the cutting paths/cutters will reduce the time by a good few minutes.

Yes, the pickup slots are deliberately that shape/size - pickups will be mounted from inside (which will be cavity-ed, also by the machine).
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I look forward to seeing this blossom, @TTony ;
  • Did the machine do all the cutting with one tiny bit small enough to drill the string-through holes or did you need to change bits part way through?
    @DartmoorHedgehog

I guess I *could* have done everything with one cutter, but one small enough to do the tiny holes would have taken a *very* long time to do the bulk removal.

Also, different cutters are optimised for different types of cutting.  Getting a smooth carved finish from a cutter designed to “drill” holes would be trickier.

So I group the tasks to do everything using cutter 1, then everything using cutter 2, then (etc).  It only takes maybe 5 mins to power down the cutter, change the bit, reset the zero point (depth) and restart the cutter.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • @TTony that's what I would have thought - but for some reason when I read your posts I got the idea it was all done in one. Not sure why... then I was thinking surely that would have to be a tiny bit to be able to make those holes, so the milling part must have taken a bazillion passes.  I've never used a CNC machine so wasn't sure how the software model of the guitar body relates to what you send to the machine - presumably you have to separate the tasks into milling and drilling jobs somehow - or does the machine software do that?
     I've never used a CNC machine so wasn't sure how the software model of the guitar body relates to what you send to the machine - presumably you have to separate the tasks into milling and drilling jobs somehow - or does the machine software do that?
    @DartmoorHedgehog ;

I'd never used one until a year or so ago.  The CNC machine part is quite simple - essentially just stick a cutter in a router and press GO.

The trickier part is the CAD software, designing what you want the CNC to cut.  Once you've designed it, and defined the type of cut you want the CNC to make (and told it what sort of cutter you're using), the software outputs a "toolpath" which is just a series of X/Y/Z co-ordinates, telling to the CNC router to go to X/Y and cut Z deep.  There can be thousands of lines of X/YZ co-ords to cut even a simple thing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    No pics today, but I've just cut the front and back on an MDF sacrificial sheet, to within about 1mm tolerance.

Cutt the carve on the top and the pickup slots, flipped the sheet over, and then cut the cavities in the rear.  

Basically, did a guitar body in ~2hrs with everything cut - neck pocket & screw holes, pickup slots & screw holes, string-thru holes, control knobs, and then some cavities and cavity cover recesses on the rear and finally cut the body shape out.

If I'm feeling brave tomorrow, I'll set it going on the body blank ...
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3102
    Excellent! Look forward to seeing it
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

Deep breath, and off we go ...

This is an exercise in learning how to use the CNC machine as much as building a guitar.  So, first challenge was to see if I could use the CNC to cut both the cavities on the back *and* everything on the front.

Here's the back underway

And the back, all done

It's quite a weighty piece of timber, hence the large control cavity.  I'm also going to mount the pickups from the back, hence the cavity for them too.

And finally, string through into a ferrule block.  I've part-CNC'd the string holes from the back.  The challenge is to see whether I can flip the body over and finish drilling those holes from the front.  

Why?  Really just a test of accuracy!
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Flip it back over, and start on the front/top

(And yes, the string-thru holes match up just about perfectly.  The holes are 3.175mm diameter, and I can fit a 2.5mm drill bit through from front to back.  Couldn't quite get the 3mm bit through, so I reckon I'm somewhere <0.5mm out.  Which I can live with.

The carve.

There are some things that CNC is really useful for.  

Accuracy is one.  Carving is another.  (Cavities, not so much - a router would have been far more efficient).

Starting to cut out the body.

Slight challenge with this in that my CNC doesn't quite have enough "Z" (height) movement to allow me to cut all the way through the blank, so I had to finish the cutout on the bandsaw, and will then tidy it up with a router.

It might just have worked if I'd clamped the body different - right onto the bed of the CNC - but then I'd probably have cut slightly into the bed, which (although it's "sacrifical" MDF) I didn't want to do.

Took about 3 hours all-in.  The rear cavities took way too long.  I could refine the carve to remove some of the tooling marks and make sanding a bit easier, but I didn't want to "cheat" too much!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom