Jeff Beck

What's Hot

Comments

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12430
    Even though I started the thread last night I’m still in shock over this. Of all of his era of Brit guitar players, Clapton, Page, Hank, etc etc I always thought Jeff would outlast them all. He always seemed younger, fitter, more tuned into modern life, his music never got stuck in a rut. Then I see he’s gone and I was gobsmacked. I even woke my wife up to tell her the news (she wasn’t impressed).
    I’ve seen him play live several times, but I wish it had been more. He was a gobsmacking player: nobody had his phrasing, technique, style and pure emotion in their playing, all instantly recognisable. His song writing was excellent too. A true legend and a complete one off. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3094
    I only saw him twice but the first time was from row 6 or something with Vinnie, Tal and Jason Rebello... the closest I've come to a religious experience. The guitar was truly a different instrument in his hands. 

RIP Jeff. You were the greatest.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • maharg101maharg101 Frets: 709
    R4 just played Beck's Bolero into the 0900 pips. I'm in pieces.
    This one goes to eleven

Trading feedback here
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14388
    tFB Trader
    The biggest regret IMO is that Jeff and Rod Stewart never got together to do a blues/soul cover album - They talked about it but it never happened - With what Rod has done with the American Song book albums and both did with People Get Ready then it would have been an album I'd have looked forward to hearing - It doesn't sum up or show Jeff Beck at his best, as we know via the likes of Guitar Workshop etc , but 12 tracks based on People Get Ready would be well worth listening to
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2431
    edited January 2023
    His loss is so tragic and so unexpected. Jeff was one of those rare ageless people, still having the demeanour and verve of a much younger man. Nothing about him said ‘elderly’. Always experimenting, always innovating.

He has been the guitar soundtrack to most of my life and the player I have most consistently enjoyed watching and listening to through the decades. Ask any of the top British and American guitarists who the player they most admire is and many will reply Jeff Beck.

Right from his days in the Yardbirds, when most of his contemporaries were reinventing the blues styles of the three Kings, Jeff was already forging his own path. His playing on tracks like ‘Shapes of Things’ and ‘Over, under, sideways, down’ was far removed from the blues and already exploring all those fractions of a tone that became his trademark.

A tremendous loss. A very good friend of mine who is of Jeff’s generation had Jeff in his band for a while in the very early 60s and they have remained firm friends ever since. He is going to be shattered by Jeff’s passing, as are so many others.

RIP Jeff and thanks for showing us just what can be achieved on the guitar. You set the bar high.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5073
    RIP Jeff, magical guitar player. I’ve had a few of his albums over the years and surprising how often when listening you find yourself saying ‘wait, what was that, what did he just do there? I went with a guitar-playing pal to see him in Bournemouth a few years ago and we were transfixed throughout. Another legend gone, sign of the times, very sad.
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28344
    I heard the news driving to the gym this morning, and I have to admit that I got a bit teary eyed. Such an iconic and amazing guitarist, like no other. I guess it's the hardest death for me since SRV. I shall play Live at Ronnie Scott's later today, such a brilliant album. I'll follow up with Guitar shop, an album that was very close to my heart when it came out.

Rest in peace Jeff, thanks for being amazing ....
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Wife just told me. Even though I’m not that familiar with his stuff, I’m well enough aware of how incredibly talented he was, and the regard he’s held in by fans and musicians alike.. I wouldn’t argue with any of the accolades… just an incredible talent..
    Even as someone who isn’t a fan, as such, I’m stunned.. 
    RIP JB
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1818
    edited January 2023
    Jeff's passing has actually hit me harder than Eddie - that was bad enough but this is another level - he was such a huge influence on me - Guitar Shop was probably my 1st album and it took off from there - people talk about BbB and the earlier stuff - for me he came alive in the 80's with Flash and There and Back and then just went stratospheric from there on - right up to the latest stuff.

Saw him quite a few times live (and with Jan H) and it was always an experience - mainly fighting the urge to give up after seeing him play.

For me, he pissed all over Page (messy), Clapton (Boring) and Blackmore (Twat) as a player - never really strayed from what he started out to do, kept his style, kept his head - just a complete and utter legend.

The more the day goes on and the more I delve into his albums (some I haven't visited for some time) the sadder I get that 1 of the true greats that influenced a lot of my other "guitar heroes" has gone and what will we be left with of a similar ilk - nothign really....sorry....

I just hope that the BBC don't highlight the legacy he has left with Hi Ho Silver Fucking Lining.....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • jdgmjdgm Frets: 852
    A legend passes.  One of my biggest heroes.  
    Yes it is sad, but he achieved a hell of a lot and leaves a truly magnificent legacy.
    R.I.P. Jeff, you were the MAN.
  • RedlesterRedlester Frets: 1072
    Kebabkid said:
    The great and sadly, late Mike Caswell showcasing Jeff Beck's style

It is alright showing how to play Two Rivers but those notes are not on my guitar - Not sure if the guitar is faulty or me (I suspect the latter) 
    @guitars4you @Kebabkid ;

Oh, the notes are in there alright! We all know the old line that goes something like this: "to get that tone/ play that song, you have to BE Jeff Beck (or whoever it is). 

And I only pick this example because, while Jeff was a one off, I think it's his musical spirit that I dearly hope will live on, and hopefully spark a few imaginations in young people who may get into him via this news. 

I love Jeff, have tried to play like him, and thanks to things like the Mike Casswell DVD have had fun trying to sound like Jeff and 'find those notes'! Tapping into that 'let's have a go' spirit is what I got from him most. 

But the funny thing is, although I don't play half as much guitar these days as I did, I still gravitate to Jeff's music and his spirit above all- a spirit of daring and of seizing the moment- just enjoying life and really expressing yourself in the most positive way that is true to you- and not being afraid to mix things up in search of answers. 

What's great about him is that a fairly long hiatus from the late 80s, he came right back in '99 with Who Else? and never really stopped. He really seemed to enjoy playing because he enjoyed life and living. And just look at the list of people he played with, guested with and did one-off things with. Truly a man who loved and respected others, and got it all back in return.

I will be blasting Who Else? later today, and although it probably won't inspire me to pick up the guitar right now, I'll latch onto that spirit of daring, enjoyment, and sheer joy. 

RIP Jeff. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Beck, Bogart, Appice will be rotating after work!
    Wer nicht für Freiheit sterben kann, der ist der Kette wert.
  • Oh Jeff, RIP...

"There was Jeff Beck, on Radio 1’s Roundtable, saying he “couldn’t believe it was a girl” playing guitar on their single Race With the Devil. "
  • thingthing Frets: 469
    Just watching bbc news tribute and yes, they’ve opened and finished with him playing Hi Ho Fucking Silver Lining…he must be throwing thunderbolts from above. 

Tried to listen to ‘Cos we’ve ended now as lovers’ a while ago and had to turn it off cos I was blubbing like a baby. 
    This is absurd.  You don’t know what you’re talking about.  It warrants combat.
  • MolemanMoleman Frets: 133
    edited January 2023
    Must admit to still feeling numb after reading the announcement of Jeff’s passing in The Guardian at about 10:20pm yesterday evening. Then saw the thread on this forum. Now I feel so fortunate to have had the experience of seeing JB perform about half a dozen times over the years since his Guitar Shop tour. The last time was back in May, 2022 at the Royal Albert Hall (with Johnny Depp as not-so-surprise, guest). 

Was also lucky enough to meet Jeff once at Waterloo Station. My ex-wife, having been to see JB with me a few times, was plucky enough to approach him for an autograph - whilst we were waiting in an adjacent queue for train tickets - Jeff was with his wife but was very cool and understated, quietly spoken and most gracious. The coolest thing was that no one else in the queue for the ticket booth knew who JB was!

Funnily enough, I gifted some JB albums to my brother (also a fan), ‘Blow by Blow’, ‘Wired’ and ‘Loudhailer’ (2016) for Christmas. My brother also saw JB play live in Las Vegas whilst on holiday back in November - thank goodness!

Trying to stay positive today….
  • CoolCatCoolCat Frets: 158
    A sad loss to the world of music.
    R. I. P.
    'Life is very short, and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friend' - Lennon & McCartney (We can work it out).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12430
    edited January 2023
    welshboyo said:b

I just hope that the BBC don't highlight the legacy he has left with Hi Ho Silver Fucking Lining.....
    Well it happened. And yeah it’s lazy journalism and not entirely unexpected from the Beeb. But sadly Hi Ho is what Mr & Mrs Joe Bloggs will know him for, rather than his work with the Yardbirds, his own bands and all his solo work. We forget that, as guitarists ourselves. Even worse I suspect a lot of younger people will only be vaguely aware of him as “that bloke who played with Johnny Depp”. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8760

… those notes are not on my guitar - Not sure if the guitar is faulty or me (I suspect the latter) 
     One of Jeff’s skills was in playing notes which don’t normally exist on the guitar. For example bending a note up, and simultaneously pressing the whammy bar to keep the note at its original pitch. Instant downtuned tone.

In the late 60’s there was a quote in a Melody Maker article about British guitarists: “On a good night Eric Clapton could be called the best, but Jeff Beck never has a bad night.” 
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • boogieman said:
    welshboyo said:b

Well it happened. And yeah it’s lazy journalism and not entirely unexpected from the Beeb. But sadly Hi Ho is what Mr & Mrs Joe Bloggs will know him for, rather than his work with the Yardbirds, his own bands and all his solo work. We forget that, as guitarists ourselves. Even worse I suspect a lot of younger people will only be vaguely aware of him as “that bloke who played with Johnny Depp”. 
    A lot of younger people think HipHop is music and admire Lizzo as role model.
    Wer nicht für Freiheit sterben kann, der ist der Kette wert.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1269
    Very few players of any instrument have ever combined sheer technical mastery of an instrument with innovation, musicality, and accessibility[1] over an extended career in the way JB did. Damn that’s a big hole he’s left behind… :-(

[1] Yeah, I know, he could get a bit “Out There” when he chose, but there are so many, many, many things he did which are just great tunes which anybody can enjoy…
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...