Bugera 1960 INFINIUM anyone here tried these?

What's Hot
stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7349
Looking for a cheap amp head and saw these things.

Also read loads of stuff about heaters and fire etc...

So are they any better than the original non infinium model?

Or are they still dodgy?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Not me. You might have more luck asking on TGP.... :D

Seriously, though, from what I've read the burnout issues were confined to a design flaw in the original batch of 6262s.
    <space for hire>
  • Was just looking for a cheap single channel amp head. 

So these came up on my radar.

Just never tried any 'Bugera' stuff and their reputation was a little ahem a few years back.
  • Generally, reports are quite positive - mostly clones of classic circuits.

The original batches had issues, but ever since I've not heard a great deal of poor reports.

Thing is, though, you can get a peavey Windsor head cheap. Supposed to be reliable and quite well built, and sounds pretty fab.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74503
    I have also not seen any faulty Bugeras after the early ones with under-spec'ed heater connectors. They compare quite favourably to several more upmarket brands on that score…

I've even seen more of the newer Chinese-made Peaveys - Valve Kings rather than Windsors - which is disappointing given how bombproof the older ones were.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM;364767" said:
    I have also not seen any faulty Bugeras after the early ones with under-spec'ed heater connectors. They compare quite favourably to several more upmarket brands on that score…

I've even seen more of the newer Chinese-made Peaveys - Valve Kings rather than Windsors - which is disappointing given how bombproof the older ones were.
    Have you tried bugera amps? If so, how do they sound?

They do a Plexi type amp...
    The ones I've played sounded OK, but nothing very special as far as I could tell. I wasn't really paying that much attention though.

This is also not necessarily a criticism since I don't find many amps sound all that special, even supposedly highly-rated ones. If they work well enough, and if I can get a good sound out of them that's all I really notice. It's much more noticeable to me if I *can't* get a good sound out of something...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I just want a cheap amp head for gigging and these have a PPMV, so I could use it at smaller venues or I could just turn it down I suppose.
  • I've listened to some demos and I have to admit, they actually sound quite good.

Although the dual rec clone does sound not so amazing compared to the real deal, the cab could have a lot to do with that.
  • keithfkeithf Frets: 375

I've used a 333xl for pretty much 3 years, i have to say they're superb value for money, tonally great and very reliable,

the new tri rec on the other hand does seem to be a bit temperamental,2 ppl I know that have bought them have both had issues very early on.

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2462
    I'm still scared of the going on fire thing :))

I haven't tried them. Even when the peavey clones went on fire I don't think anyone complained about the tone, though.

There's a guy on TGP who does utterly killer clips of his, though. http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=1166067 (There are a bunch of clips throughout the thread... doesn't hurt the guy is an awesome player who nails (IMO) the van halen thing.)
    Pah. AC30s go on fire all the time, doesn't stop them being some of the best amps ever made.

:)

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    :))
  • ICBM;365061" said:
    Pah. AC30s go on fire all the time, doesn't stop them being some of the best amps ever made.

:)
    I'm waiting for a boutique built one that not only captures the tone, but the correct size and colour of flame to emerge from the back.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I might try and buy one at some point from Thomann, as for £250 it could be a cheap useable head.
  • Dave_Mc said:
    I'm still scared of the going on fire thing :))

I haven't tried them. Even when the peavey clones went on fire I don't think anyone complained about the tone, though.

There's a guy on TGP who does utterly killer clips of his, though. http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=1166067 (There are a bunch of clips throughout the thread... doesn't hurt the guy is an awesome player who nails (IMO) the van halen thing.)
    Firk. Nothing wrong with those tones, eh?

I have a soft spot for behringer - they enabled me to buy decent effects when I couldn't afford more expensive ones. OK, they copy classic designs but who doesn't these days? Plus I really liked the V-Amp stuff - preferred it to Pod.

I'd get one if I needed an amp.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 32405
    I have a soft spot for Behringer too, they helped kickstart the home studio revolution before home PCs were powerful enough to enable everyone to ditch the hardware.

I also come across their gear all the time in critical live situations in BBC studios, even the University Challenge announcer's mic goes through one of their preamps!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90fool;365387" said:
    I have a soft spot for Behringer too, they helped kickstart the home studio revolution before home PCs were powerful enough to enable everyone to ditch the hardware.

I also come across their gear all the time in critical live situations in BBC studios, even the University Challenge announcer's mic goes through one of their preamps!
    Wow awarded because that's a cool factoid.
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2755
    p90fool;365387" said:

Wow awarded because that's a cool factoid.
    A friend of mine is a BBC sound engineer and I can confirm that they do use the cheap Behringer mic pres. However, they are considered a disposable item.....
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2755
    re Buggera amps (they didn't waste money on market research there), I can't say I've seen that many in for repair.

I've had a few with the filament supply problem, and a couple with valve shorts that have caused considerable co-lateral damage.

I did advise a friend of mine that the guitarist in the band he was managing might me better off getting a better quality guitar amp than the Buggera he had, and low and behold it expired with much smoke at a gig.

Uri Behringer makes a big song and dance about the reliability of his products, however I would be interested to know how much Buggera/ Behringer kit simply gets trashed rather than repaired.
    Firk. Nothing wrong with those tones, eh?
    Yeah definitely.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom