Edwards Les Paul - opinions?

What's Hot
As per my previous thread, I’ve really fallen out of love with my Les Paul Traditionals neck. 

I’ve seen a 1990s Japanese Edwards Les Paul Custom (pre-serial) with upgraded pickups (Amber 59’s)  / wiring (Monty’s) and frets (SS) that I could do a straight swap for. 

I know it’s a bit of a hit on my part but it takes away the hassle of selling. 

Does anyone have any opinions on the Edwards?  

I will be able to try it as it’s local to me, but I’d be interested to know peoples thoughts. 

Or am I better biting the bullet and selling outright to fund something else?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7181
    "better biting the bullet and selling outright to fund something else" That's your answer
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23276
    I don't think value-wise an Edwards for an LP Traditional should be a straight swap.  I'm sure there are people currently trying to sell Edwards guitars for two or three grand, but they used to be pretty cheap guitars, although they are good quality.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2441
    Great as Edwards are, it's rare you see them go for more than a grand, more often the £750 mark. Given that a good LP Traditional will be what, £1400-1800, I'd strongly advise against a straight trade. I get taking a small hit to save hassle, but potentially half the value of your guitar is a bit much. 
    Tim
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • webrthomsonwebrthomson Frets: 1037
    Edwards are okay, had a gold top which was nice but a bit heavy. As above swap without cash to you is taking the piss... :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1482
    The Edwards will probably be a poly finish FWIW - Value wise probably on par with a Tribute or Studio, and then the nice upgrades on top. I can see how selling it to a shop and then buying the Edwards from a shop could work out roughly equal, but that's the shop taking profit at both ends. I would be reluctant to do this unless you fell in love with the Edwards, and even then know that it's a big value hit.
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4740
    Tell me about the LP Traditional......
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • floeighty2floeighty2 Frets: 160
    I asked the question ‘What do you think of Edward’s guitars’ to the guy who does all my set ups etc and he said about on par with a good Epiphone.  Perhaps his experience wasn’t the best with a couple of them, not sure, but you’ll be taking a hit on the Gibson.  As @rlw said, tell us about the LP…
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2751
    Is this the LP you're talking about?

NGD - 2014 Les Paul Traditional - Guitar Discussions on theFretBoard

Looks lovely!   
  • DodgeDodge Frets: 1452
    I'm sure I read somewhere that Edwards guitars are only set up in Japan.  Assembly and finish are done in China.
  • It’s a 2014 Traditional in Ice Tea. There’s a few dings and a couple of costmetic blemishes on the front which I realise would bring the price down. 

They seem to go for about £1400 mint and this one certainly isn’t so I don’t know how much I’d get for it. 

It is a beautiful instrument but I always just feel like I’m fighting it when I play. 
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1482
    I would sell it and use the cash to have your pick of LP types. Try a load and get one that you love.
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Not an Edwards fan I’m afraid. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23276
    edited August 2023
    Not an Edwards fan I’m afraid. 
    I've owned eight(?) of them over the years.  Some were really good, others less so... the most recent ones I bought were the least good, and then the prices started going up so they weren't such good value.  There were a couple I wish I'd kept - a Flying V and a "Jeff Beck" LP.
  • paganskinspaganskins Frets: 276
    I’ve a 335 alike, lacquer taste so a nitro top coat and unusually a solid maple carved top and back rather than pressed laminate. It’s really good, perfect late 50’s rounded neck profile. 
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6906
    I had the Jimmy Page model Edwards and it was an absolutely joyous thing to play. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2441
    It’s a 2014 Traditional in Ice Tea. There’s a few dings and a couple of costmetic blemishes on the front which I realise would bring the price down. 

They seem to go for about £1400 mint and this one certainly isn’t so I don’t know how much I’d get for it. 

It is a beautiful instrument but I always just feel like I’m fighting it when I play. 
    Of all the cosmetic blemishes to have, those are probably the most acceptable in that they're the scratchplate screw hole and the mark left by the rear scratchplate screw on the top. Buy a new scratchplate and they'll be perfectly masked!
    Tim
  • Philly_Q said:
    Not an Edwards fan I’m afraid. 
    I've owned eight(?) of them over the years.  Some were really good, others less so... the most recent ones I bought were the least good, and then the prices started going up so they weren't such good value.  There were a couple I wish I'd kept - a Flying V and a "Jeff Beck" LP.
    I’ve tried as many MIJ copies / lawsuit guitars as I could but just never found anything to match the real thing. Not to say it’s impossible, Just never happened for me. Could be psychological. Though one of my all time favourite guitars was a Japanese Gretsch. 
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24853
    2013 & 2014 Traditionals had no weight relief and are the only production Les Pauls to combine that with a genuinely 50s-style chunky neck. In other word a Reissue on the cheap.

Yours has a lovely top - there’s no way I’d consider the trade you have been offered.

To the right buyer, your guitar would be a very desirable instrument. 
  • PALPAL Frets: 543
    edited August 2023
    Rather than buy a copy of a Gibson Les Paul I would stick with a Gibson Les Paul if I had one.
      I have had some of the clones and they are good for the money but they are just not the real thing !
      A Gibson will always be more desirable and so will be the residuals price wise.
      The thing is any copy of a classic guitar will be more expensive because it looks like the real thing yet if you buy 
      something that is not a copy they are less expensive and will play and sound just as good.
      I do have a couple of Gibson Custom shop Les Paul guitars but the guitars which for me are more usable are
      a PRS DGT Mahogany & Hamer USA Studio and they were more than half the price of a Custom shop Les Paul.
      I have a Fender Tele & Esquire & Blade Strat but now use a Suhr Standard.
      Once you get your head around the fact that the headstock shape is different and the body shape is a bit 
      different you realize modern guitars have come a long way.
      I'm amazed when I see a listing where it says "killer top" or Plays like butter it's all snake oil really.
      My Gibson R8 is a plain top and my R9 is a flame top they sound the same not only that My USA Hamer which
      does have a flame top sound the same as the Gibson guitars ! Regarding plays like butter any modern guitar out 
      there can be made to play really well.
      If I never had my Gibson guitars I would buy a PRS I know a lot of people put them down but they are worth
     checking out it doesn't matter if it's a USA model or an SE they all play really well.
     I even bought  Gibson original series Les Paul & SG Junior although for me I kept the Les Paul as I preferred it but
     They are much better than the originals I use to own !
     It's not worth asking other people what they think of particular guitars because opinions will be different if you
     feel something is right for you go with it it might work it might not but it's the only way you will know for yourself !
     Playing something different worked for EVH & Brian May and I'm sure there are many others so just use what
     works for you. It's not what you play it's what you play with what you have !  Good luck.

Here is my non mainstream guitar.....

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7167
    I gave up on my traditional after about a year (mainly the neck, but I also wasn't enamoured with the classic 57s). Ended up with a standard with slim taper neck and I bloody love it.

As for Edwards, I'd rather they put their weird Blakes 7 type logo text on the LPs instead of the old fashioned archaic medieval type text. Other than that: yeah they're great!
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!