Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

When Did You Know You’d Found “The One”?

What's Hot
I bought my first SG Standard because I used it (in Coda Music when they still had a Luton branch) to try out a Boss chorus pedal.  The great thing was that, because they thought I was only interested in the pedal, they left me alone to play, rather than hanging around trying to “sell” the guitar to me.  I hated the pedal (sorry, Boss fans) but fell in love with the SG.  So I took the guitar and pedal back to the desk and the guy asked me what I thought. I said, “I don’t like the pedal, but I’ll take the guitar.”   He laughed and said, “Yeah, right!” and I said, “No, seriously, I’ll take the guitar” (getting my wallet out for dramatic effect)

Almost the easiest sale he ever made. 

I toyed with the idea of getting the one in Naturalburst, but that was £799 (2005) and the Heritage Cherry was £739, so I had the Cherry one. 

I realised it was “the one” because I always used to take three or four guitars to rehearsals and the SG was always one of them, and I then realised that if I wanted to play one of the others I’d better play it first, because once I strapped on the SG I wouldn’t want to put it down. 

So a couple of months later I went and treated myself to the one in Naturalburst.  No trying it out.  Just bought it. 

And THAT was the easiest sale he ever made. 
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31650
    About two months after buying my Les Paul goldtop in 2012 I realised that I didn't much enjoy playing anything else and that the LP always felt like home.

I do gig other guitars nowadays but the Goldtop (now refinished and refretted) still comes with me. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I absolutely have never found it.  I wish I had.
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28657
    I'd always admired the Ibanez Talman. One appeared at Machine head in a wetrd cream-to-blue burst, but I thought it might be worth investigating. I phoned and Jeff put it to one side. When I got there the chap at the counter said it was reserved for so done and I was quite sad until Lady BMcH pointed out that was me.

I think it took maybe 20 seconds to realise I wasn't leaving without it. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    Literally the second after I sold it 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • nero1701nero1701 Frets: 1474
    Mine was the 4th strat I bought (2nd Custom Shop), always seems t be the one in hand at a gig

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I have found several "The Ones". Foolishly, I have sold or traded some of them. 

Sporky said:
    a weird cream-to-blue burst 
    Cream centre to blue edge sounds very Danelectro.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • When I realised that, although I had it in my head that I often took out different guitars to gigs, it turns out the no1 has been to 99% of the gigs I’ve done since I bought it a year and a half ago. Also that it gets 99% of the playtime at all the gigs too.
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6720
    During lockdown my lovely wife (who was working online a lot, straight from the get-go) bought me my first Gretsch. 
    It's an Anniversary G6118T LIV. I've had other Gretsch guitars since but there's no topping it. Just slips into place and does exactly what I need it to. 

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12415
    My desire to buy guitars I don’t have seems to always overtake my need to hang on to guitars.  
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28657
    Sporky said:
    a weird cream-to-blue burst 
    Cream centre to blue edge sounds very Danelectro.
    It is a bit.

"[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14349
    tFB Trader
    I'm a U2 man - Still haven't found what I'm looking for

But the search is wonderful and never knew I had to get it down to just one - I have about 4 that I play regularly and enjoy - they are different so none can be better - So one will never work and I'm certainly not looking for the 'One'
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4942
    2nd bass I bought - a Rickenbacker 4001.
  • I don't have a "The One". I'm not allowed to cheat on my wife so I have a harem of guitars instead. 
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24848
    edited September 2023
    There were times when I only owned one electric guitar and inevitably that was ‘the one’ until I moved it on to finance the ‘next one’. I think when you play pretty much one instrument only, you have an emotional connection to it that is largely unrelated to its merits as a musical instrument. I think this is far better than having endless dissatisfaction with your guitar…
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2911
    Mines also an SG but didn't realise it was "the one" until quite recently, about 10 years into ownership. It was the best SG I played in the shop but when I brought it home I was always underwhelmed by the sustain and tone when compared to my LPs. Tried all sorts of pickups in it to get closer to that sound but about 2 years ago decided to just put it back to stock and appreciate it for what it is instead of trying to make it something it isn't. The thing that made me realise it was actually a great guitar was trying a load of others out in shops and coming away disappointed and thinking "it was nice, but my guitar at home is nicer". I also find it the comfiest guitar to play, nothing else disappears like an SG and I don't worry about anything digging in or being too heavy. 

I always wanted the naturalburst version but ended up with a cherry one. Mine is quite an orangey red which is aging nicely as it hangs by the window. You can see the original colour around the knobs where it's been in the shade.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28341
    I can always tell 'the one'. I get a similar reaction every time.
  • BigsbyBigsby Frets: 2962

Almost the easiest sale he ever made. 

I toyed with the idea of getting the one in Naturalburst, but that was £799 (2005) and the Heritage Cherry was £739, so I had the Cherry one. 

I realised it was “the one” because I always used to take three or four guitars to rehearsals and the SG was always one of them, and I then realised that if I wanted to play one of the others I’d better play it first, because once I strapped on the SG I wouldn’t want to put it down. 

So a couple of months later I went and treated myself to the one in Naturalburst.  No trying it out.  Just bought it. 

And THAT was the easiest sale he ever made. 
    Hang on, I'm confused... which one was 'The One' the heritage cherry one or the natural burst one? Or are they 'The Two'?

I tend to think of the phrase 'The One' to refer to one specific guitar, i.e. the 'one' SG/Strat/Tele/Les Paul/Etc. above all others, rather than the 'one' model you prefer to other models.
  • There were times when I only owned one electric guitar and inevitably that was ‘the one’ until I moved it on to finance the ‘next one’. I think when you play pretty much one instrument only, you have an emotional connection to it that is largely unrelated to its merits as a musical instrument. I think this is far better than having endless dissatisfaction with your guitar…
    I think there is something here.  The times I improved the most was when I focussed on just playing the one guitar be it nylon, acoustic or electric. 

I've found instead of constantly chopping and changing the the time is better spent playing one particular guitar and learning it's geometry as best as is possible. 

Unless the individual takes pleasure in playing a number of different guitars for small amounts.  We're all different, some guitarists aren't on the look out for 'the one'. 
  • Pd1020Pd1020 Frets: 4
    edited September 2023

I don't think I've found the “one” & I’m coming to terms that there isn’t “one” the older I get. It’s just whatever fits the mood at the time.