Wycombe High Jam + Gear fest - 18th November 23

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• With just a few of us, I reckon a gearfest is the way to go.  Do we have a venue?
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8020
    Gearfest appeals!
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7802
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilybobNeilybob Frets: 811
    With just a few of us, I reckon a gearfest is the way to go.  Do we have a venue?
    Gearfest sounds great. 

Gear fest and jam?

2-3 rooms

https://www.weststarstudio.com/

23 or 30 Sep

I'm bringing guitars and amps.

I guess jammers will sort their setlist and the rest of us bring gear.

• FlipFlip Frets: 68
    I would have thought that to be discussing choice of dates three weeks from the target period should tell you something. Successful events don't just happen at short notice and you're competing with guitar fairs, open mic nights, jam sessions etc and individual diaries around the country.

Add to that the target location that means many people travelling a couple of hundred miles and buying a night or two in a hotel, well I think it's all a bit optimistic.

Sorry to pour cold water on an idea but you should also remember that the guitar is an instrument not a style of music. A bagpipe convention for example might attract people who by definition would tend to favour a reasonably well-defined musical genre. On the other hand folk fans, classical enthusiasts, heavy metal players and jazzers - all guitarists - might well feel fairly remote from each other even though they all play the same type of instrument. 

I'm sure the organisers have an idea about this but asking if someone knows a drummer or a a bassist a month ahead of target date begs the question what sort of musicians are you looking for? Jazz kit drummer? Conga expert? Orchestral percussionist? Do you want readers or someone who's got a tambourine?

My suggestion would be that the organisers start work now on an event for 2024. Decide on the genre, the venue, and the music. Publish the music for the readers, the chords for the strummers and the sounds if possible for the ear players. Accept that the list of fretboarders interested in your event wont be universal but hope it includes enough to make the effort and expense worthwhile. 
  • No. This is a local meetup, for local people :)

Small is fine. It can be a trial run for something bigger later. If that's even desirable in the first place.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6819
    edited November 2023
    I just wanna have a go on other people's kit. We can muck about playing with some bloody backing tracks for all I care. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2799
    Flip said:
    I would have thought that to be discussing choice of dates three weeks from the target period should tell you something. Successful events don't just happen at short notice and you're competing with guitar fairs, open mic nights, jam sessions etc and individual diaries around the country.

Add to that the target location that means many people travelling a couple of hundred miles and buying a night or two in a hotel, well I think it's all a bit optimistic.

Sorry to pour cold water on an idea but you should also remember that the guitar is an instrument not a style of music. A bagpipe convention for example might attract people who by definition would tend to favour a reasonably well-defined musical genre. On the other hand folk fans, classical enthusiasts, heavy metal players and jazzers - all guitarists - might well feel fairly remote from each other even though they all play the same type of instrument. 

I'm sure the organisers have an idea about this but asking if someone knows a drummer or a a bassist a month ahead of target date begs the question what sort of musicians are you looking for? Jazz kit drummer? Conga expert? Orchestral percussionist? Do you want readers or someone who's got a tambourine?

My suggestion would be that the organisers start work now on an event for 2024. Decide on the genre, the venue, and the music. Publish the music for the readers, the chords for the strummers and the sounds if possible for the ear players. Accept that the list of fretboarders interested in your event wont be universal but hope it includes enough to make the effort and expense worthwhile. 
    All excellent points.
    I look forward to signing up for your event in due course :)  what dates and locations are you planning for 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FlipFlip Frets: 68
    No. This is a local meetup, for local people :)

Small is fine. It can be a trial run for something bigger later. If that's even desirable in the first place.
    Perhaps I missed it in an early post. I though Fretboard was national or even international so ignore my suggestion as you wish.
  • Flip said:
    No. This is a local meetup, for local people :)

Perhaps I missed it in an early post. I though Fretboard was national or even international so ignore my suggestion as you wish.
    That was mainly a joke in the vein of "local pub for local people" :) 
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2799
    Ok chaps, how many are we for this, and what’s it costing us.  I am certainly up for coming along

on previous meet ups I’ve sang and played (I think) Since You Been Gone / All Night Long (both Rainbow), Sweet Home Alabama, and played bass on Black Magic Woman and something else that I can’t recall. I’m sure I could re-work those out again.

any other suggestions for some things to strum along to

If we are going to play music and not just play with gear I fancy doing something Crowes that ISN'T Hard to Handle. Maybe Remedy or something off SHAMC?

Or I like the idea of a Hendrix jam track like Who Knows, Hear my Train or similar where everyone can have a bit of fun but it's also fun to sit back and play some rhythm and fills?

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • I thought it was going to be a gear fest now rather than a jam, no? That's what I told my boy so he may have made other plans.

I guess we need to confirm what it is and as Sev said, the cost etc. 
    I thought it was going to be a gear fest now rather than a jam, no? That's what I told my boy so he may have made other plans.

I guess we need to confirm what it is and as Sev said, the cost etc. 
    I honestly don't think we have enough time to setup a jam so definitely do a gear fest instead. 

Should I start a new thread for the gear fest? 
    Gearfest absolutely fine by me. 

Moved here instead because as they say third times a charm! Pffffft 

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/256772/high-wycombe-gearfest-18th-november-at-weststar-studios