Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Christmas Gifts for Guitarists - Help wanted with article ideas

What's Hot

Comments

• stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7212

* Which I completely support, partly due to the existence of humans who think random guitar based gifts are a good idea.
    I was aiming for less 'random' and more actually useable and not sh*t.

As have received my fair share of keyring guitar toppers, coasters, t-shirts, and a plethora of guitar-shaped plastic shite over the last 40-plus years.

The aim is more recommendations for people who need some help choosing something decent (not ridiculously expensive/boutique/niche) and that will be value for money.

It would be like when a non-musical mate asks my advice on what to buy their 13-year-old kid as a Christmas present when the kid has shown an interest in learning the guitar, etc You know the kid may give up after 3 months if they buy them a piece of crap guitar, but the parent also don't want to lay out £500 plus on a new guitar and amp, etc 

Guitar Bomb & Nembrini Audio Summer Giveaway 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Remember folks "A Guitarist is for life, not just for Christmas" so give them something meaningful.

Like a bath, or a real job, etc   ;)
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24868
    stonevibe said:

* Which I completely support, partly due to the existence of humans who think random guitar based gifts are a good idea.
    I was aiming for less 'random' and more actually useable and not sh*t.

As have received my fair share of keyring guitar toppers, coasters, t-shirts, and a plethora of guitar-shaped plastic shite over the last 40-plus years.

The aim is more recommendations for people who need some help choosing something decent (not ridiculously expensive/boutique/niche) and that will be value for money.

It would be like when a non-musical mate asks my advice on what to buy their 13-year-old kid as a Christmas present when the kid has shown an interest in learning the guitar, etc You know the kid may give up after 3 months if they buy them a piece of crap guitar, but the parent also don't want to lay out £500 plus on a new guitar and amp, etc 

Lessons then.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Offset said:
    My daughter bought me this last Christmas because I'm always misplacing keys.

Before anyone asks - no, it hasn't :-)

I'll wait till they do a Plexi one
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    I think this is the thing, for me at least.

I do not want guitar based presents at all. Even strings. To me they are as dull as getting socks and pants for Xmas. It's a gift of a consumable necessity. It ranks lower than chocolate because it's not even a treat.

Even if it was a pedal, an amp, or £30K worth of custom shop instrument I would want to be the person making the decision and the selection. It's just too personal.....and a massive part of the hobby is the discovery process of new gear / sounds / inspiration. The build up from ignorance, to discovery, to interest, to lust, and then to acquisition.

It's all part of this wonderfully mad hobby we enjoy. I feel kind of empty without the process.

And then there is the potential embarrassment of selling a gift either because it just wasn't quite right, or the existing TS on the board is just fine, or whatever factor means it's not a keeper. If it isn't something worthy of being sold then it's a landfill item.

The best gift for any hobby where the well meaning gift giver has no clue is money. But money is still also the best gift even if the gift giver is a professional guitarist, because they will understand how personal gear choice is.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited November 2023

I do not want guitar based presents at all. Even strings. To me they are as dull as getting socks and pants for Xmas. It's a gift of a consumable necessity. It ranks lower than chocolate because it's not even a treat.

Even if it was a pedal, an amp, or £30K worth of custom shop instrument I would want to be the person making the decision and the selection. It's just too personal.....and a massive part of the hobby is the discovery process of new gear / sounds / inspiration. The build up from ignorance, to discovery, to interest, to lust, and then to acquisition.

It's all part of this wonderfully mad hobby we enjoy. I feel kind of empty without the process.

And then there is the potential embarrassment of selling a gift either because it just wasn't quite right, or the existing TS on the board is just fine, or whatever factor means it's not a keeper. If it isn't something worthy of being sold then it's a landfill item.

The best gift for any hobby where the well meaning gift giver has no clue is money. But money is still also the best gift even if the gift giver is a professional guitarist, because they will understand how personal gear choice is.

But we are old and know what we want. So articles like these aren't aimed at us.

I'm attempting to offer advice to people at the beginning of the journey, or who are relatively new to it. Plus, some suggestions for 'stocking fillers' that are actually useful (not guitar-shaped spatulas, etc).

The suggestion for lessons, I think is a great one (I'd actually already included it in my Gifts under $200 article).  Plus, the book suggestion I think has legs as well, as I know that I have a collection of guitar/amp/pedal-orientated coffee table books that I like to read now and again.

edited November 2023
    stonevibe said:

But we are old and know what we want. So articles like these aren't aimed at us.

I knew what I wanted when I was 15 as well. I didn't want a set of flatwounds, or Roland Jazz Chorus, or a Strat (no matter how much my parents thought they must be the best guitar in the world) - it wasn't what I wanted. To suggest that a teenager doesn't know is both wrong and a bit condescending. 

The fact that my choices then are not the same as they would be now is irrelevant.

I get that you have clicks to get, but the very first bit of advice should be: "Look at the receivers wish list"

That will at least contain things that the player would be happy to get as gifts.

edited November 2023
    stonevibe said:

I knew what I wanted when I was 15 as well. I didn't want a set of flatwounds, or Roland Jazz Chorus, or a Strat (no matter how much my parents thought they must be the best guitar in the world) - it wasn't what I wanted. To suggest that a teenager doesn't know is both wrong and a bit condescending. 

The fact that my choices then are not the same as they would be now is irrelevant.

I get that you have clicks to get, but the very first bit of advice should be: "Look at the receivers wish list"

That will at least contain things that the player would be happy to get as gifts.
    I had a very different experience to you then.

My best gift when I was a teenager was my dad giving me a Boss SD-1 overdrive pedal when I was about 13/14. He had gone into a guitar store and asked for advice on what pedal is best for a beginner. I had no idea he was getting me a pedal and I hadn't asked for one, or anything guitar-related. 

That set me up for life and I used that same pedal for about 20 years (until it exploded under my foot when the chassis gave out and collapsed) it sounded AMAZING when I got my first Marshall JCM800 half-stack a few short years later, which I used in my first proper band as 'my rig' for about 10 years.

We aren't all the same in our experiences with gifts I guess.
    How on earth did a Boss chassis collapse?

Unless you are the Hulk or Eddie Hall I can't comprehend that! 

How on earth did a Boss chassis collapse?

Unless you are the Hulk or Eddie Hall I can't comprehend that! 
    It gave out at the input and output sockets, cracked, and broke the circuit board. In its lifetime the switch broke multiple times, the LED top got sliced clean off and I must have resoldered the battery tag at least 20 times.

I had an old used charity shop briefcase with my pedals in it.

The Boss SD-1, which was my first ever pedal (thanks Dad)

A Dunlop wah I bought in Soho Soundhouse in Soho Square (also killed that one)

A Boss DD3 I bought from Electrohill in Palmer Green which I still own and use to this day.

And a crappy power supply bank I bought in Electrohill to power all three when I had run out of batteries.

This clueless 'f**knugget' teenager 

Look at the state of my bedroom... PMSL

• I'd like a nice bottle of single malt. That's probably not much help. 
    I'd like a nice bottle of single malt. That's probably not much help. 
    Me too, ideally something peaty 
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7377
    edited November 2023
    There's an article on my "blog" about this:

Guitarist's Ultimate Christmas Gifts

Default (GPT-3.5)

User
    Write a blog article about Xmas gifts for guitarists.

ChatGPT
    Title: "Strumming Up Joy: The Ultimate Christmas Gift Guide for Guitarists"

Introduction

The holiday season is upon us, and for those who march to the beat of a different strum, finding the perfect Christmas gift for the guitarist in your life is a harmonious mission. Whether they are an aspiring musician or a seasoned shredder, this gift guide will help you hit all the right notes. From essential gear to unique stocking stuffers, we've got you covered.

Guitars
    The heart of a guitarist's world is, of course, their guitar. If you're feeling particularly generous this Christmas, consider gifting them a new guitar. The options are vast, from classic acoustic models to sleek electric guitars. Fender, Gibson, and Taylor are some trusted brands to explore. For a more personalized touch, consider a custom-made guitar.

Amplifiers
    An amplifier can make a world of difference in a guitarist's sound. Tube amps, solid-state amps, and modeling amps offer a range of tones and effects. Research the guitarist's style and preferences to select the perfect amplifier. Brands like Marshall, Vox, and Orange are known for their quality amplifiers.

Pedals and Effects
    Guitar pedals and effects open up a world of sonic possibilities. Whether they crave distorted crunch, dreamy reverb, or ethereal delays, there's a pedal for everyone. Popular options include the Boss DS-1 Distortion, Electro-Harmonix Holy Grail Reverb, and Strymon Timeline Delay.

Guitar Accessories
    Small yet thoughtful gifts can also be a hit. Consider items like high-quality guitar straps, picks, capos, and a tuner. Look for personalized or unique designs to make these practical gifts stand out.

Guitar Lessons
    Learning is a lifelong journey, and guitarists always appreciate the gift of knowledge. Enroll them in online guitar lessons or gift them lessons with a skilled local instructor. There are many online platforms offering courses for beginners and advanced players.

Music Books and Sheet Music
    Sheet music and songbooks can be a valuable resource for guitarists. Choose books that cater to their musical interests, whether it's classic rock, blues, or classical compositions. For the tech-savvy guitarist, digital sheet music subscriptions are also a great idea.

Recording Equipment
    For guitarists interested in recording their music, a quality microphone, audio interface, and recording software can be a game-changer. Brands like Focusrite, Shure, and Presonus offer excellent options for home recording setups.

Custom Guitar Picks
    Personalized guitar picks with the guitarist's name, initials, or a unique design can make a great stocking stuffer. They're a small yet personal gift that will be appreciated every time they play.

Guitar-themed Merchandise
    From T-shirts to mugs, there's a plethora of guitar-themed merchandise available. Find items that reflect the guitarist's favorite music or brand, creating a sense of belonging to the guitar community.

Conclusion

Guitarists are a special breed of music enthusiasts, and they'll treasure any gift that enhances their passion. Whether it's a stunning new guitar, effects pedals to spark their creativity, or small yet thoughtful accessories, your Christmas gift will surely hit the right chord. Make this holiday season unforgettable for the guitarist in your life, and let the music flow in the spirit of giving.

ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Pls send ad revenue.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7428
    I think for xmas I'd like a browser plugin that automatically hides threads that are lazily disguised ads for a blog.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    I doubt AI can work out (yet) what are actually useful items in the real world. 
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1403
    Decent T shirts? 
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
  • DavidRDavidR Frets: 791
    Over the years, stuff people have bought me ‘cos I play the guitar has invariably been of no use whatsoever. 

Hell, loads of the stuff I’ve bought myself has been of no use whatsoever!

I agree with others, best gifts would be 1. Money 2. Money 3. Beer. 

:-)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12513
    If Mrs O and Mini O are reading, I'd like an EBMM St Vincent, 3 mini-hb, in Stealth Black.

Somehow, I don't think they frequent this forum.