More powerful 5E3?

What's Hot

Comments

• mo6020 said:
    Why not a Bassman? 
    Maybe a 59 bassman, ideally want a combo, but if the right head comes along…

My Wienbrock Me3 is switchable to allow the use of either 6v6 or 6l6, however I’ve always had plenty of headroom with 6v6 even with a loud drummer, still has its original Tayden speaker.
    Sounds like I might have to try one of them
    ‘It is no measure of good health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society’
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mo6020mo6020 Frets: 378
    mo6020 said:
    Why not a Bassman? 
    Maybe a 59 bassman, ideally want a combo, but if the right head comes along…
    Yeh, a 59. It’s a big combo, they sound immense, tho. 
    "Filthy appalachian goblin."

https://edmorgan.info
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72634
    Tweed limited edition Blues Deluxe or Hotrod Deluxe with a Jensen speaker.

Yes really... I know they're not boutique and all that, but they will nail the 5E3 sound at both louder *and* quieter volume if you should need to. The Blues is slightly sweeter sounding, but the one I actually A/B'd directly with a high-end 5E3 copy was a Hotrod, on the Drive (not More Drive) channel... got it dead on.

The Jensen speaker is important, but the tweed cabinet actually - really - does sound better too.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    Tweed limited edition Blues Deluxe or Hotrod Deluxe with a Jensen speaker.

Yes really... I know they're not boutique and all that, but they will nail the 5E3 sound at both louder *and* quieter volume if you should need to. The Blues is slightly sweeter sounding, but the one I actually A/B'd directly with a high-end 5E3 copy was a Hotrod, on the Drive (not More Drive) channel... got it dead on.

The Jensen speaker is important, but the tweed cabinet actually - really - does sound better too.
    Thanks, my mate has a HRD, so maybe I’ll give it a go.
       I did watch Johan Segborn compare a blues deville and original 59 bassman, the deville sounded great
    ‘It is no measure of good health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society’
  • Neilybob said:
    I had the 2x12 version a few years back, nice amp, then the Delta blues, also a nice amp.
       Problem is, I was using different pedals then this can make quite a difference as to what amp works and what doesn’t…maybe I’ll have to try them all again  :)
  • A Tweed Twin, maybe.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Louis Electric Buster ? Played through one once at a jam and it was crazy loud but don’t half sound good 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks for all the suggestions and advice folks. I decided to try out a 30w Wienbrock Gringo combo, I believe it's the later version of the ME3, bought on Ebay and collect tomorrow evening. It seems worth a punt and I've only heard good things about them, albeit there's not a lot of info out there.
       It's the right size, hand wired, and should easily be powerful enough and all for £520, which I didn't think was too bad.
  • I’ve just sold an ME3 on because when I find something I like I always sell it to get something that turns out to be shite.

With that in mind I’m sure you’ll love it , they are really lively sounding amps 
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilybobNeilybob Frets: 808
    Thanks for all the suggestions and advice folks. I decided to try out a 30w Wienbrock Gringo combo, I believe it's the later version of the ME3, bought on Ebay and collect tomorrow evening. It seems worth a punt and I've only heard good things about them, albeit there's not a lot of info out there.
       It's the right size, hand wired, and should easily be powerful enough and all for £520, which I didn't think was too bad.
    Congrats!

Looking forward to further updates once you've had a chance to gig it. 
  • Thanks for all the suggestions and advice folks. I decided to try out a 30w Wienbrock Gringo combo, I believe it's the later version of the ME3, bought on Ebay and collect tomorrow evening. It seems worth a punt and I've only heard good things about them, albeit there's not a lot of info out there.
    Get your hands on a Tc Sparkboost to pair with it, makes it a really versatile set up, enjoy.
    Get your hands on a Tc Sparkboost to pair with it, makes it a really versatile set up, enjoy.
    Thanks I'll check them out.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7344
    I've love the Tweedy-luxe 5E3 I bought recently, but it's not loud enough for rehearsals/gigs. What would you recommend at around 25w-30w? or maybe even 20w as I know some 20w amps can be loud.
       It reminds me of a '59 Bassman LTD I had last year, are they close sound wise? Or is there something that would get me closer?
    use two
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    I've love the Tweedy-luxe 5E3 I bought recently, but it's not loud enough for rehearsals/gigs. What would you recommend at around 25w-30w? or maybe even 20w as I know some 20w amps can be loud.
       It reminds me of a '59 Bassman LTD I had last year, are they close sound wise? Or is there something that would get me closer?
    use two

That is the second such suggestion. There is of course a duplication of effort in having two 'identical' (they won't be!) amplifiers but the main problem is that it is unlikely to work. Two 5E3s will give about 6dB more SPL whereas when folks want "louder" they really mean MUCH louder or about 10dB and that, ball park, means ten times the power.
    I doubt 50 watts is needed but I would guess 30W at least to make a significant difference. 'History has shown us' that pub gigs with a 4 piece and a carnivorous drummer needs a 30W amp. You might get away with a 15 IF you don't want anything close to clean AND you have a sensitive speaker, 100dB/W 2 by or 4 by 12. Large halls need 50W+ and outdoors you just need 'king K watts!

Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Picking up the 30w combo tonight.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1639
    Picking up the 30w combo tonight.

Ah! You'll be right.

Dave.
  • PetepassionPetepassion Frets: 874
    edited November 2023
    Picked up the Wienbrock Gringo and had a quick plingkerty plonk on it tonight, and the Gringo is Bingo! For the money this is a beautiful amp and many tonal options considering the appearance of the top panel.
       Not quite a 5e3, but gets close and in some ways better. But I won’t know for sure until it’s covered a couple of rehearsals.
       Dilemma is I’ve just been offered a Dr Z Maz 18 Combo at a very good price. Nothing like a 5e3, but by all accounts a great amp.
        Oh well, the Hook R20 should be ready for sale by the weekend…but that sounds awesome too…should have stuck to motorcycles 
  • koss59koss59 Frets: 855
    I have a Gartone 5E3 that I’ve just used on a Tour playing Theatres mainly 500-1000 capacity.
    In my opinion it’s the perfect volume amp for these types of gigs now and I was running it clean volume around 2.5.

I can see why it’d struggle in a rock band though.
    Facebook.com/nashvillesounduk/
  • koss59 said:
    I have a Gartone 5E3 that I’ve just used on a Tour playing Theatres mainly 500-1000 capacity.
    In my opinion it’s the perfect volume amp for these types of gigs now and I was running it clean volume around 2.5.

I can see why it’d struggle in a rock band though.
    And from the sound clips I’ve heard on here they sound marvellous.