Comments

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    The viewing figures for this Xmas special are going to be massive.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Does it read CUN701D?

No, it's his own personal plate I see. Very apt too for Clarkson. (Yes I can't stand him, egotistical twat)

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10890
    edited October 2014
    Love Top Gear but do they really think we're stupid enough to believe that the Falklands number plate hadn't been put on by the production team and that it was just a coincidence.Also it just happened to be on Clarksons,the main presenters car.

I don't buy it.
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • So they chose BE11 END but, are claiming they didn't deliberately choose H982 FKL!!!

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    I'm sure they deliberately chose H982 FKL and so does the Telegraph .. the BBC will hold an internal enquiry but sources close to the BBC say they new what they were doing.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/top-gear/11152019/Top-Gear-did-have-details-of-Falklands-Porsche-number-plate-before-buying-it.html

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    It's a bit of a stretch though. You have to really try to get offended by that.
    My V key is broken
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • The think is, if you have top gear in your country, you'll probably be looking out to see how they can offend you.

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 25599
    I don't believe it was deliberate.  Yeah, if the plate was 2 PAR, FA11 KLD or GU55 GRN, but not 'H982 FKL' !!

Andy Wilman's explanation (Axe_meister's link) makes perfect sense.  To think it was deliberate is a bit bonkers to be honest.
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6329
    edited October 2014 tFB Trader
    Emp_Fab said:
    I don't believe it was deliberate.  Yeah, if the plate was 2 PAR, FA11 KLD or GU55 GRN, but not 'H982 FKL' !!

Andy Wilman's explanation (Axe_meister's link) makes perfect sense.  To think it was deliberate is a bit bonkers to be honest.

It's not that big a stretch 1982 FKL = H982FKL = 1982 Falklands which is the year of the conflict......
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7752
    edited October 2014
    So they asked for the V5 registration document before buying it, I'd have thought that was an ordinary procedure. Even if they knew about the number plate beforehand, I wouldn't be surprised if no-one batted an eyelid. It's not particularly "out there", is it?

The dealer who sold it said they were specifically looking for a manual Porsche 928, apparently quite a rare find with not too many on the UK market - not a manual Porsche 928 with a "deliberately offensive" number plate loosely connected to the Falklands War. There's no evidence at all to suggest that the car was purchased specifically for the plate. If it's on the V5 isn't that the original plate?

Lovely-looking car, anyhow.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Bucket said:
    Lovely-looking car, anyhow.
    Well it's got a few scratches now, but I'm sure they'll polish out. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17140
    The Lotus they've trashed was a low-mileage, pristine example that had been for sale in a Scottish dealership. Bastards.

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11726
    thorpy6 said:
    Emp_Fab said:

It's not that big a stretch 1982 FKL = H982FKL = 1982 Falklands which is the year of the conflict......
    There's also the fact that they guy who got the Victoria Cross at Goose Green was known as 'H' if I recall correctly.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    The Lotus they've trashed was a low-mileage, pristine example that had been for sale in a Scottish dealership. Bastards.
    It's not the cars' fault :(

They all look like great condition cars.
    My V key is broken
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7752
    I like the green Mustang a lot.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • juansolojuansolo Frets: 1779
    edited October 2014
    The 928 was a GT, only about 75 of them in RHD (manual, best spec). If it was a good 'un, that's another crying shame. Along with a Mustang Mach1.

Honestly I have no time for hooligans that would destroy such iconic vehicles. Fucking cavemen. That includes the Top Gear team if they planned to do their usual 'hilarious  japes' to them.
    juansolo said:
    The 928 was a GT, only about 75 of them in RHD (manual, best spec). If it was a good 'un, that's another crying shame. Along with a Mustang Mach1.

Honestly I have no time for hooligans that would destroy such iconic vehicles. Fucking cavemen. That includes the Top Gear team if they planned to do their usual 'hilarious  japes' to them.
    They normally use ones with issues don't they?
    My V key is broken
  • I didn't know the relevance of the plate until that explanation above. It's a bit tenuous, and hardly offensive.
    The chance of them finding the car they were after with a plate that could be offensive is slim. I'd be interested to know if the car had a change of registration at any point in the past few months - they could have set it up in advance.
  • Personally, I didn't believe it was deliberate. I'm a TG fan and even though I don't agree with everything Clarkson says, I think a lot of people will use anything they can to get him off the telly...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom