Interesting British amp

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• I'm going to try this amp out I think, if the shop let me, it looked beautiful (which is nice, very living room friendly, if you will), made in Cambridge (yaaaaay) and hopefully well built. It won't take precedence over my lusting for an mjw (which are much more reasonably priced) but I feel it should be judged on its merits, and for all we know, it might be sublime.

Might be shit, mind.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    When you do, act very sophisticated and make out that you play jazz and your after nice cleans and very low gain tones.

Then ask for high gain pedal and DJent the shit out it at high volume
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • samzadgan;376269" said:
    When you do, act very sophisticated and make out that you play jazz and your after nice cleans and very low gain tones.

This is actually exactly what I did to them when I asked to try a "free the tone" overdrive pedal.

I used it to boost a blackstar ht metal into a fender bassman.

Yeah, it sounded the absolute tits. :D

It might have flubbed a bit at volume, but they told me I was misusing the overdrive before I could crank it up.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74503
    edited October 2014
    Danny1969 said:
    It's not that you can't get the cables in .... it's rather you can't see what your doing.
    I tend to plug the cables in and then turn the amp round/move it back against the wall or whatever.

Danny1969 said:
    I do actually own an amp with all the sockets on the front, a Fender Princeton Chorus but the thing sounds so bad I would never gig it :)
    Interestingly one of the best sounds I ever got at a provided-backline gig was a Mesa V-1 pedal into one of those! I couldn't believe it either ;). It was a good thing, because the promoter had said "Fender Twin" when I asked what amp was available, so I was more than a little annoyed to be presented with that…

samzadgan said:

Reminds me of when I tried an expensive Dumble clone…

"Now how do I get a sound out of this?" Gain full, bass full, mid zero, treble about 3 o'clock… the owner looked appalled!

:D

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM;376277" said:
    Danny1969 said:

It's not that you can't get the cables in .... it's rather you can't see what your doing.

I tend to plug the cables in and then turn the amp round/move it back against the wall or whatever.

Danny1969 said:I do actually own an amp with all the sockets on the front, a Fender Princeton Chorus but the thing sounds so bad I would never gig it :)Interestingly one of the best sounds I ever got at a provided-backline gig was a Mesa V-1 pedal into one of those! I couldn't believe it either ;). It was a good thing, because the promoter had said "Fender Twin" when I asked what amp was available, so I was more than a little annoyed to be presented with that…

samzadgan said:When you do, act very sophisticated and make out that you play jazz and your after nice cleans and very low gain tones.

Then ask for high gain pedal and DJent the shit out it at high volumeReminds me of when I tried an expensive Dumble clone…

"Now how do I get a sound out of this?" Gain full, bass full, mid zero, treble about 3 o'clock… the owner looked appalled!

:D
    You scooped the haunting mids?!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    You scooped the haunting mids?!
    The mids can f off and haunt someone else...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3531
    edited October 2014
    It looks like a cross between an Ashdown and a Blackstar...I predict resale of 40% if you're lucky :)

• jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2755
    It looks like a cross between an Ashdown and a Blackstar...I predict resale of 40% if you're lucky :)

I think it's slightly better built than those (mind you Ashdown have not set the bar very high here).
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Or a cross between a Mesa and a Bugera.

They've all copied that Matchless-type styling to one degree or another.

Sadly I think you're probably right about the 40% resale value though - but hopefully, whoever buys it will do so because they want to keep it, not flip it...

• ICBM;376939" said:
    Moe_Zambeek said:It looks like a cross between an Ashdown and a Blackstar...I predict resale of 40% if you're lucky :)

Or a cross between a Mesa and a Bugera.

They've all copied that Matchless-type styling to one degree or another.

Sadly I think you're probably right about the 40% resale value though - but hopefully, whoever buys it will do so because they want to keep it, not flip it...
    That's just it. Makes me think of what Jonathan at feline has put in his sig here.

• I think Danny got it right - trying to plug the footswitch into a Chinese AC30 and not have it in a speaker socket or the FX in/out means you're leaning over it, trying to read the legends upside down in bad light without your specs on ... PITA!

And all that mucking about with computer wiring at home or in the office. Or hi fi wiring. Why does it always have to be at the back? (Quad 303 excepted)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself