SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

Sorted - JTV Variax

What's Hot
Dan_1Dan_1 Frets: 93
edited January 25 in Guitars £
Always been intrigued by these, and having recently moved over to a Helix I want to give one a try. Does anyone have one of the Tyler models they’d be willing to move on? 

Thanks! 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• simonhpiemansimonhpieman Frets: 684
    I've just picked up a Variax 500. I'm yet to integrate it with Helix (it works, with a few minor limitations re tunings, apparently), so I'll let you know how I get on.

In terms of how it sounds, though, it does indeed sound like all the things it's supposed to, except maybe the 12 string acoustic. Madness.
  • ZoonyboyZoonyboy Frets: 168
    I used a Helix exclusively until I stopped doing theatre gigs a couple of years back, and 10 years ago I got the 59 version of the Tyler JTV. It works amazingly well. Get one. Great guitars to play anyway, but imagine being able to switch from a fuzzed sitar in dropped tuning to a standard acoustic guitar, then a 335 through an AC30 in the blink of an eye, without changing guitars. BTW it was a Four Seasons stage show, in case you think my choices are a bit left field. Definitely get one! You can use the variax cable for those sounds (the Helix will store the JTV guitar settings) and the excellent regular magnetic pickups through a normal jack cable, both into the Helix for conventional LP tones. Then program a few basics and you're away. Good luck with it!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ZoonyboyZoonyboy Frets: 168
    Rich Tone have a Variax Standard in, used, at 499.
  • Dan_1Dan_1 Frets: 93
    Zoonyboy said:
    I used a Helix exclusively until I stopped doing theatre gigs a couple of years back, and 10 years ago I got the 59 version of the Tyler JTV. It works amazingly well. Get one. Great guitars to play anyway, but imagine being able to switch from a fuzzed sitar in dropped tuning to a standard acoustic guitar, then a 335 through an AC30 in the blink of an eye, without changing guitars. BTW it was a Four Seasons stage show, in case you think my choices are a bit left field. Definitely get one! You can use the variax cable for those sounds (the Helix will store the JTV guitar settings) and the excellent regular magnetic pickups through a normal jack cable, both into the Helix for conventional LP tones. Then program a few basics and you're away. Good luck with it!
    Thank you mate. It’s that flexibility that really appeals. I play in a rock/metal covers band and have been looking for a piezo loaded guitar for a while. Since I’ve gone over to a helix setup, I figure a Variax is the obvious choice with all of the other possibilities it offers. 
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3679
    Dan_1 said:
    It’s that flexibility that really appeals. I play in a rock/metal covers band and have been looking for a piezo loaded guitar for a while. Since I’ve gone over to a helix setup, I figure a Variax is the obvious choice with all of the other possibilities it offers. 

I gig with a Helix.  I've previously owned a JTV-69, which I paired with an old HD500.  I've owned a Parker Dragonfly, with piezo, and I presently own a PRS Hollowbody II piezo.

Integration of the JVT with Line6 modeller works a treat.  Hook up with, from memory, an ethernet cable.  The pedalboard patch can select the JVT model and it also negates the need for a battery in the JVT (if I'm remembering correctly).

JVT itself?  I didn't like it.  Way too heavy, sharp fret ends and I didn't think that the different guitar models made anything like as much difference as having different amp models.  The only time that I ever used it on a recording was once, for a sitar model.

PRS with piezo - really nice guitar.  There are two outputs, so I send the mag pickups to the regular Helix input and the piezo out to the aux in on the Helix (the piezo goes through the onboard pre-amp in the PRS so it is suitable for the aux input on the Helix).  By having a dual path setup on the Helix you can process the piezo and mag feeds differently and also switch them on and off independently via snapshots.  Piezo into an acoustic IR block works well. 

Downside of the PRS - the side fret markers are almost invisible against the fancy binding.  Fine in daylight when I'm wearing my reading glasses but useless under stage lighting.  I've experimented with various stickers and I've even considered having better markers professionally installed.