Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Amp volume curiosity

What's Hot
beed84beed84 Frets: 2496
A friend of mine currently owns a Two-Rock Studio Pro 35 combo and running it through a  2 x 12 cab. He mentioned to me the other day that he's having "amp issues" during rehershals and has to crank the amp all the way because the drummer is too loud.  I asked if he had mike'd the amp and turned it up it via the pa. He said he already had and that he was surprised how far he had to crank the pa too. Because of this he's thinking of parting ways with the Two-Rock for something with more oomph, regarding 50 watts won't be enough and considering a 100w head instead, which could possibly be of lower quality/cheaper than the two rock.

I'm not doubting my mate as he's a very accomplished musician; however, I'm genuinely shocked as I believe 35 watts of said amp AND pa should be ample enough, especially in a rehearsal setting.  I could be wrong, though.  What's everyones views on this matter?  I'm curious.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74503
    Does he have the amp on the floor?

If it's at waist height or more and pointing at you there is no way you will not hear a cranked 35W valve amp through a 2x12" over any drummer. Tone and clean headroom might possibly be an issue but volume won't be.

I once played with a drummer who was insanely loud, the loudest by far I've ever heard - literally painful to be in the room with him without ear plugs - and a Marshall Bluesbreaker (30W 2x12") was loud enough, but not clean. A Fender Concert (60W 1x12") was enough to maintain clean headroom.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4972

Very often it's not 'volume' that's the problem but definition and punch to cut through the mix.  I recommend he tries a BBE Sonic Stomp Maximiser (ideally in the FX loop).

See my 25/9 post here (includes explanation & video demos)

http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/24080/

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1747

Just a fort!

I notice the amp has a bias pot in "easy reach". Might someone have had a fiddle?

But otherwise I agree. Two 6L6s in fixed bias from any competently designed amp should kill.

Dave.

• timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    The two rocks I tried were definitely nit built for volume, my 30w laney destroyed them for volume.
  • Don't sell the Two Rock. Sack the drummer.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • timmysoft;379415" said:
    The two rocks I tried were definitely nit built for volume, my 30w laney destroyed them for volume.
    This is my experience with the one two rock I played, 50 watts but not massively loud. It had a quality to the sound that seemed very full, though, like it could fill a room.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 25006
    edited October 2014
    I read a review in Guitarist by Neville Marten of one of the 22 watt models, where he said it would be loud enough to gig with.

I tried one and rapidly came to the conclusion that it was nowhere near gig-worthy.

If you want mildly driven or very driven sounds, you can get away with lower output amps but clean headroom takes a lot of watts.

I'd rather turn down an amp which is capable of too much volume than struggle to coax enough level out of a lower powered one. 'Big' output stages don't just give volume - they also give the sound 'authority' - they sound 'bigger', even when turned down.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • koss59koss59 Frets: 888
    I had a 35 watt Two Rock for a while, it had nowhere near enough clean head room for a loud band but should be plenty for rehearsing etc.....like someone else said, sack the drummer
    Facebook.com/nashvillesounduk/
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2590
    Might just be the Two-Rock then by the sounds of it. I've no problems keeping up with a drummer with my 20 watt Laney through a 2x12, and he broke sticks trying to keep up with my Orange 50 watt 2x12.
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4101

ICBM said:
    ...Tone and clean headroom might possibly be an issue but volume won't be.

I once played with a drummer who was insanely loud, the loudest by far I've ever heard...
    Our last drummer was one of those -- not just "loud" but "mental".  And everything else had to be cranked so loud that you couldn't hear anything -- after a short while it was like white noise, even with earplugs in.  There were other issues with this guy but in the end it was the volume which was a major factor in sacking him.

So, if @beed84 has one of those rowdy b*stards then unless he's on the modern Hard Rock scene, consider sacking the drummer.  He'll lose you audiences and work.
  • When your mate said he has 'amp issues' I take it he's not had a problem using that amp with his band before? or has he just bought the amp? doesn't make sense other than a fault with the amp?
  • What 2x12 cab is he using? Some cabs/speakers can be much louder than others. 

Greenbacks are much quieter at the same amp volume compared to Vintage 30's for example.
    If the 35W Two Rock is not as loud as a 20W Laney, there's something wrong with it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 11016

In fairness to drummers the very good ones as in session quality tend to hit the kick and snare very hard,and the hat and cymbals not so much,  that's what makes em great session recording drummers but live a loud great  drummer can be a pain. To me it sounds like the amp isn't quite right as it should be louder that that. In terms of PA and mic'ng up well that needs a bit of thought as mic'ing up an amp that's close to a loud drummer with your standard sm57 is basically mic'ing up the drums as well! Look at the PFL spill from the drums your be amazed how strong the spill signal is unless your take steps to minimize it, like a barrier between the amp and drums or a plexi shield. Or a tighter mic like a Senn E906

I got 3 gigs this week, 2 with a 5 watt Blackstar and one with a 200 watt Marshall EL34 100\100. The volume  behind me will be the same from both rigs. I don't struggle to hear the little BS even with a hard hitting drummer. It makes me wonder on here if some of the problems more to do with people trying to fight volume with volume, not mic'ing up and basically damaging their hearing. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31591
    A number of things here- speaker efficiency is key- it really varies a lot and has nothing to do with rating. The difference between 1 x 12 and 2x12 of same amp is 3 DB only- enough to hear though. But speaker sensitivity and amp efficiency, 2 things that we take for granted, are the keys to you question

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1827
    I used to have a very loud drummer. It cost us a load of gigs cos we were too loud. Also if he's loud all the time there is nowhere to go sonically. Get another drummer or tell him to tone it down. 35 watts is plenty loud enough IMO
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8563
    edited October 2014
    Sure there is. It's called Louder.
    Cirrus said:
    Sure there is. It's called Louder.
    That drummer I used to play with did actually have a wide volume range. He wasn't just a senseless basher, in fact he was very good both technically and dynamically.

The only problem is that it was from deafening to apocalyptic.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2496
    Thanks for all the responses, guys.  I shall feed it all back to him soon.  There isn't anything wrong with the amp technically, he's just having to turn it up ALL they way, which is crazy.  Good points re the drummer.  I am aware that they're due to gig soon so I'll pass comment on that maybe his drummer might have to pipe down a bit.  A plexi shield could be a very good port of call where mic'ing up is concerned, and I'll direct him to a BBE SS pedal - the demo was quite convincing. Overall, I don't think he needs to change amps, more to do with set-up and band members.  If I ever bought a two-rock 35 and realised I couldn't gig with it, I'd honestly think WTF!
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    ICBM said:
    If the 35W Two Rock is not as loud as a 20W Laney, there's something wrong with it.

My 20w lionheart through a 1936 cab used to devastate the other guitarist in my old band. He had the 100w jet city hdm and it struggled to live with the little laney,