Image hosting ~ ~ ~ some advice please . . .

What's Hot
ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
edited October 2014 in Off Topic
Who do you use for hosting your pictures, and other images ?

I have never used one of these hosting services, so some basic advice on ease of use, reliability, and how it works would be great.
Please feel free to expand on this however you like with anything that I (or anyone else reading this) may find useful.

Some general advice from your experience would be greatly appreciated, thanks   :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    edited October 2014
    A few specific questions you might consider, along with your general advice:

•  I would be interested to know how you rate the service, and why you originally chose them ?

•  Do you ever have any problems, and if so, how did you get around them ?

•  How does the service work, and how much control over privacy do you have, and how do you do that ?

•  How do you go about resizing images so they are suitable for this forum without swamping someone's internet connection and browser with massive image files ?

•  Does it work from a mobile device, and how easy is it to post images on here ?

•  How do you use it and what do you use it for away from posting stuff here (see I said I was a newbie at this)

Thanks for your help,  Chris    :)

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    4chan are awesomes. If you don't mind your intimate naked photo's being spread across the inferwebz..............

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

I use photobucket for the stuff I don't mind everyone seeing (Couldn't care if it gets hacked and the pics spread far and wide).

For the more personnal stuff I keep them on my laptop.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

mike_l said:  4chan are awesomes. If you don't mind your intimate naked photo's being spread across the inferwebz..............
    I'm not sure da interwebz iz ready for that just yet   :P

edited October 2014
    Privacy is only a part of the advice I am asking for though.

By privacy, I was more thinking of not opening up my whole image collection, if I just want to post an image (say) of a guitar in the classifieds, to anyone who clicks and follows the image address, significant others included  ;)

I assume that some hosting services allow levels of privacy where I can keep family or landscape shots separated from the odd guitar or gear pic I may want to share on here.
    The same goes for sharing specific landscape and art photographs, I don't want to make my whole portfolio easily accessible unless I choose to share.

Yes I do understand that anything can be hacked, which is why I would only put lo-res images up in the first place.  Not entirely safe on a laptop, as a recent HD crash reminded me.  However PhotoShelter is a professional (paid) hosting site and can be used for backup storage, licences sales, and much more.  They have to have safeguards in place.

I am wondering how the free sites like Flickr, PhotoBucket, Picassa, etc are to use instead.

• SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    Some general advice from your experience would be greatly appreciated, thanks   :)

1.Never post treasured pictures on the Music Radar forums without bookmarking the upload to the image host, or saving the picture on your hard drive.
    :-S

2.Tinypic seems reliable (based on the past couple of years) and has worked on 4 different forums.

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27833
    For forum stuff; photobucket and flickr

For photo libraries; flickr

Photobucket is easy and gives you links for sharing next to each picture, so it's good for forums. Flickr is better for albums and organisation, but sharing is a bit trickier (although it does give you more options for sharing different sizes, etc)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires

If you just want to be able to put a pic on here (for example) then Photobucket is your friend.

Simple (I can use it) and free (yay) although you can pay a bit more for extra space.

edited October 2014
    stickyfiddle said:   Flickr is better for albums and organisation, but sharing is a bit trickier (although it does give you more options for sharing different sizes, etc)
    How do you link to images of Flickr to post them on here then @stickyfiddle ?

Is it easy on Flickr to control access to specific collections, i.e. how ?

And is it mobile friendly ?

Thanks  :)

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27833
    Flickr's ios app is pretty good, though i haven't used it much.

To share a photo you need to go to its page, click on the swirly arrow on the bottom right (middle of the 3 white buttons) and you get sharing options. For most fora you want the BBCode version and paste direct into the chat window. 

For here you need the html code, then paste that into the html editor (click the button that looks like a white page with red <> tags in it)

See here for example of sharing options. I think you can see them if you're not me: https://www.flickr.com/photos/stickyfiddle/15183676709/in/photostream/

I'm not sure of privacy settings in detail, but I know it has plenty of options.

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28042
    edited October 2014
    I use (Google's) Picasa, and have been doing for years and years and years ...

I originally just started to use it to manage the photos stored on my HDD, creating albums, etc, but I've used more of its functionality as time has passed.

Locally, it's still great for organising photos, tagging them, doing some basic editing (cropping, re-colouring, re-contrasting, etc), but now I also use it for my on-line photos.  Easy to upload to the on-line storage which appears to be more than adequate (just checked - I've currently got 15Gb - FOC), and easy there to create new albums, copy/delete photos, etc.  Photos can then be shared individually or by album, and with whoever you choose to share them with (individually or to a group of people), or kept private.

It's what I use for all the photos that I post here.

Has all the functionality I need, is easy to use, and is free.  But apart from that, I quite like it.

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    Thanks @stickyfiddle, I am pretty sure I am not you, at least I wasn't last time I looked...

Yes the link works great, nice trip to the Big Apple, never been myself, maybe one day.  Love your cats too  :)

Thanks @TTony, I like Google's approach to ergonomics and functionality, so I'll check Picasa out too.  I appreciate the info.  Cheers.

• TTonyTTony Frets: 28042
    Thanks @TTony, I like Google's approach to ergonomics and functionality, so I'll check Picasa out too.  I appreciate the info.  Cheers.
    It's not the most obvious - nor easy to find - of Google's apps.  Linky here.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    Thanks for the link TTony.

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Dropbox.
    Cheers @Drew_fx - but isn't dropbox a bit problematic with posting pics on here ?  A lot of the posts with the dreaded box and question mark seem to relate back to drop box.  And what about sharing / privacy settings ?

While we are on dropbox, I take it that you have to download any sound files to be able to play them, or have I got that wrong ?  That may be useful for the future.
    (yes I am a total newbie at all this stuff)

BTW while you are here, I know you are into unusual time signatures, and with a bass and drums background to enhance your approach, is there any chance you could take a look at my rhythm technique thread and maybe share a little wisdom on approaches that you feel have merit.  I would be grateful if you could add to that, cheers,  Chris.

I never have any problems mate. I just make sure my pics are in my public folder. Right click "share dropbox link..." and then paste into le forum.

I'll take a look at your poly thread :)
    Cheers @Drew_fx, that sounds pretty straightforward.  What about downloading vs streaming sound files ?  SoundCloud player makes it easy to just click and play, which is very immediate, or is DropBox download only ?

Cheers @Drew_fx, that sounds pretty straightforward.  What about downloading vs streaming sound files ?  SoundCloud player makes it easy to just click and play, which is very immediate, or is DropBox download only ?
    Not sure to be honest. I tend to just download anyways.