Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

The ten most underrated drummers of all time

What's Hot
StefBStefB Frets: 2457

1) Brian Downey 

2) Brian Downey

3) Brian Downey

4) Brian Downey

5) Brian Downey

6) Brian Downey

7) Brian Downey

8) Brian Downey

9) Brian Downey

10) Brian Downey

It's true.  Been listening to the remastered Live & Dangerous a lot recently and once you get over how great the guitars sound, by Christ the guy can play drums.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Charlie Watts
    Ringo Starr

Neither of them remarkable technicians or metronomic timekeepers, which means many drummers dismiss them as mediocrities who were in the right place at the right time.  But in their prime both were able to come up with a string of simple, inventive ideas that really enhanced the records they played on.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Andy Ward
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28354
    Wow, what are the chances of 10 guys with the same name, all being seriously good but underrated drummers!?!?!? Must be billions to one! Incredible fact. I'm gonna have that tattooed on my ass and show people when I'm drunk.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Roger Hawkins
    Max Weinberg
  • IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319
    From having seen him up-close-and-personal in a drum clinic, Ritch Battersby (of The Wildhearts, as no-one who knows me will be surprised to learn). How anyone can hit so hard and yet stay so precise I don't know.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7752
    edited October 2014
    Steve Queralt (EDIT: Laurence Colbert) from Ride. Beast of a player and the drum sound on Going Blank Again is one of the best I've ever heard.

3:00 onwards. Magnificent.

I love it when he slips into double time every so often, only for a bar at a time (like at 3:27). Never heard anyone do that before.

GBA also has some wonderfully vicious guitar sounds and one of the best bass tones in recorded history. Painfully underappreciated.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4640
    edited October 2014
    Bucket said:
    Steve Queralt from Ride. Beast of a player and the drum sound on Going Blank Again is one of the best I've ever heard.

3:00 onwards. Magnificent.

GBA also has some wonderfully vicious guitar sounds and one of the best bass tones in recorded history. Painfully underappreciated.
    @bucket steve was the bass player laurence colbert was the drummer, and well played young man.. this was going to be my suggestion.. dreams burn down drumming is great as is all of it 
  • jimmydjimmyd Frets: 60
    Jimmy Chamberlin from the Smashing Pumpkins - awesome!
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31150
    Jonathan Moffatt for me (again) Very visual too give it a little run to about 2 mins

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• Ian Mosley

• BucketBucket Frets: 7752
    DesVegas said: steve was the bass player laurence colbert was the drummer, and well played young man.. this was going to be my suggestion.. dreams burn down drumming is great as is all of it 
    Ah ok, on Wikipedia it just says the band members' names and not what they play - I could have sworn I read that Laurence Colbert was the bass player, and used my powers of deduction from there :D

Whatever their names, they're all awesome. Going Blank Again is one of my favourite albums.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • Mark Brzezicki (sp?) of Big Country - on the Final Fling DVD/Come Up Screaming CD, his sound and playing are superb.

Larry Mullen Jr - The drums on Pride still give me goosebumps...
  • Matt Barrick from Jonathan Fire*Eater and the Walkmen. Not the best quality audio but you get the idea of the physical effort he puts in. 

• +1 on Loz Colbert. Also Budgie from the Banshees, John Lever from the Chameleons, Brian Young (Posies) and Bill Berry (REM).
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    Gassage said:
    Jonathan Moffatt for me (again) Very visual too give it a little run to about 2 mins
    superb player… I love the way he chokes the crashes behind him.. very cool..
    play every note as if it were your first
  • Morris Windsor - The Soft Boys/Robyn Hitchcock & the Egyptians. No really. He's a great singer too.
    :(|)
    Link to my trading feedback
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1492
    Any love for Simon Phillips? He's played drums for just about everyone, but the way in which he *physically* plays the drums is like no other drummer I've ever seen. He hits the skins SO DAMN HARD. 
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4640
    Bucket said:
    DesVegas said: steve was the bass player laurence colbert was the drummer, and well played young man.. this was going to be my suggestion.. dreams burn down drumming is great as is all of it 
    Ah ok, on Wikipedia it just says the band members' names and not what they play - I could have sworn I read that Laurence Colbert was the bass player, and used my powers of deduction from there :D

Whatever their names, they're all awesome. Going Blank Again is one of my favourite albums.
    Good boy.. Ride was my first gig .. and will always be one of my favourite bands
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Meg White

Lolz, not really.
    My V key is broken
  • holnrew said:
    Meg White

Lolz, not really.
    That Corr lass neither.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself