Soldano Decatone - clips

What's Hot
digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 28098
OK, you guys (specifically @monquixote) asked for it...so I did a very quick couple of clips at loud-home volume, since the wife and sproglet are at work. Here are the settings:

And here it is:

0:00 - Clean
0:54 - Crunch
1:42 - Crunch, very slightly scooped (mids dropped to just below 5)

To be honest, the one thing this has taught me is that I need to spend some time experimenting with mic positioning.
<space for hire>
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Digging both the crunch sounds. especially on the more palm mutey riff. The clean I though was a touch dark but could well be a volume thing.

I think most people would call you;re crunch distortion (god damn AC/DC fans) but I'd still like to hear a full out brutal chugga tone :D
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Yeah, the clean is a little dark - I suppose I should've hit the bright switch for that. It does get a fair bit brighter at proper volumes.

As for the mild grit/full-on chuggy stuff, I'll be doing a proper demo once I've got the hang of this thing. I haven't really had enough time with it at volume to do anything other than get a rough feel for where tones appropriate for my band are; I can tell it's going to take me quite a while to fully explore it.

It doesn't help that the amp was set up with my Jet City cab, but the clips were recorded using my Montage cab with a Celestion V-Type in it. When I do a real demo, I'll take it to the rehearsal space with all my cabs, wind it up a bit and try a lot of different mic positions to find the most natural-sounding combinations.
    <space for hire>
  • It's very hard, mic work. Moving or angling a microphone can make quite a massive difference!

That said, look at where the master is! If that's how you can record at that volume, I'm prepared to believe the room sound is truly epic.
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1747

"Yeah, the clean is a little dark - I suppose I should've hit the bright switch for that. It does get a fair bit brighter at proper volumes."

Yes, sounds fine (not that I am any judge!) but tell you what! Why don't all you peeps that post clips buy a cheap ass Maplin sound level meter? The C weighted one mod N33GJ.

Pop it about  1.5mtrs from kit and tell us what SPL you are doing?

FYI. I cranked my Tannoy 5As a bit to get 90dBC at the midpoint about 1mtr from each.

Now listening to BBC's Jazzline coming in at around 75dBC.

JUSAFORT!

Dave.

• It's very hard, mic work. Moving or angling a microphone can make quite a massive difference!

That said, look at where the master is! If that's how you can record at that volume, I'm prepared to believe the room sound is truly epic.
    :D

It was epic, but the volumes are weird (and very usable) on this amp. There's a massive hike in volume between 6 and 7 on the master - it goes straight from home (ok, loud home) volume to gig volume in almost no space at all. That's actually a very good thing...it means it's really controllable in both of the situations where you'd need it, without any of the frustrating too-loud-for-home-but-can't-compete-with-a-drummer bits in between.
    <space for hire>
  • ecc83 said:

Why don't all you peeps that post clips buy a cheap ass Maplin sound level meter? The C weighted one mod N33GJ.

Pop it about  1.5mtrs from kit and tell us what SPL you are doing?

Not a bad idea at all, actually. I'll get one next pay day...
    <space for hire>
  • digitalscream;384206" said:
    ThePrettyDamned said:

It's very hard, mic work. Moving or angling a microphone can make quite a massive difference!

:D

It was epic, but the volumes are weird (and very usable) on this amp. There's a massive hike in volume between 6 and 7 on the master - it goes straight from home (ok, loud home) volume to gig volume in almost no space at all. That's actually a very good thing...it means it's really controllable in both of the situations where you'd need it, without any of the frustrating too-loud-for-home-but-can't-compete-with-a-drummer bits in between.
    That's genius - I normally have to go from 0.1 to 0.11, which goes from barely audible but useful to "Paul, turn that bloody racket down!".

Tsk.
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1747

This...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-633937-Sound-Level-Meter/dp/B0015NSTLI

Is about 1/2 the price of the Maplin (11quid when I bough mine!)

You do want a C weighting for music.

Dave.

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18329
    tFB Trader
    Nice one dude. 

If you do some more (and you are taking requests) I'd be interested to hear:

Some funky brighter cleans. 
    Some inbetween sounds with some chording and lead. Always like to hear how much clarity you can get on a distorted 7#9 fer example.
    Some ultra shred lead with a nice fat sound. 

I became interested in Soldanos when I got a POD and the SLO sound was ace for shreddy silliness. 
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2228
    Sounds really good :)
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • Nice one dude. 

Some inbetween sounds with some chording and lead. Always like to hear how much clarity you can get on a distorted 7#9 fer example.

I became interested in Soldanos when I got a POD and the SLO sound was ace for shreddy silliness. 
    Gawd. You people are never happy, are you? :D

Actually, I have just the thing. It'll have to wait until tomorrow, though - too late for loud antics now. I have very tolerant neighbours (actually asked me to turn it up once before), but I think 10pm noodling is probably a bit much for anyone ;)

As it happens, it was modellers which got me onto Soldano stuff too. The SLO model always seems to be the best in any modeller, but I have no idea why...in fact, our album was exclusively recorded using the clean, crunch and drive channels of the SLO model on the Eleven Rack.
    <space for hire>
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18329
    tFB Trader
    I'm like the plant from Little Shop of Horrors.

Feed me tones Seymour. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm like the plant from Little Shop of Horrors.

Feed me tones Seymour. 
    You can have a LOL for that, purely because of the image I now have in my head.
    <space for hire>
  • monquixote;384440" said:
    I'm like the plant from Little Shop of Horrors.

Feed me tones Seymour. 
    I sung that to my friend the other day and he...

... Had never heard it before. Hmph.
  • Nice one dude. 

Gawd. You people are never happy, are you? :D

Actually, I have just the thing. It'll have to wait until tomorrow, though - too late for loud antics now. I have very tolerant neighbours (actually asked me to turn it up once before), but I think 10pm noodling is probably a bit much for anyone ;)

As it happens, it was modellers which got me onto Soldano stuff too. The SLO model always seems to be the best in any modeller, but I have no idea why...in fact, our album was exclusively recorded using the clean, crunch and drive channels of the SLO model on the Eleven Rack.
    I love the SLO model in amplitube 3 :D
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • I love the SLO model in amplitube 3 :D
    Interestingly, I found Amplitube's SLO model to be the best for lead, but the Jet City JCA100H model was much better for just about all kinds of rhythm.
    <space for hire>
  • cosmiccarrotcosmiccarrot Frets: 91
    edited October 2014
    How come you have the presence off?
    I've just had a crack at those settings, bloody loud in the house! I did get more distortion and more clarity than your clip in the crunch channel, but I struggle to record at home to get a sound that's remotely similar to what's in the room (argh!) so maybe that's it?
    What speakers are you using and what's the setting on the effects mix? I found that can alter the tone a bit, I tend to run mine at 12noon.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22446
    Cleans sound very nice, I personally don't find them too dark. Crunches sound fan-fucking-tastic. Pisses all over Amplitube from a great height!

A tip if you want more brightness in your recordings - dial your presence and your treble in higher than you think you need. Mic position... the more aimed at the centre of the speaker, the sharper and brighter it will be. The more aimed at the edge, the darker and cloudier it will be. There is a gradation between the two, so sweep the microphone between these two zones until you like what you hear.
  • How come you have the presence off?
    I've just had a crack at those settings, bloody loud in the house! I did get more distortion and more clarity than your clip in the crunch channel, but I struggled to record at home to get a sound that's remotely similar to what's in the room (argh!) so maybe that's it?
    What speakers are you using and what's the setting on the effects mix? I found that can alter the tone a bit, I tend to run mine at 12noon.
    Only had the presence off 'cos those settings are from the gig on Thursday night.

I'd imagine it's bloody loud in the house for you because you're using a 4x12" with Eminence V12s in - I'm using a single V-Type, which is 98dB sensitivity versus the 100.9dB sensitivity of the V12s.

As for the distortion/sensitivity, it's fairly likely that this amp needs some new preamp valves. I'll probably experiment with some this afternoon when the wife has buggered off to work - I think I've got some JJs and Marshall-branded ones kicking around somewhere.

Hadn't thought about changing the effects mix - I've got it 100% wet.
    <space for hire>
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22446
    100% wet.
    The best kind of wetness.