Saddle height screw undoing itself

AJSAJS Frets: 43

I have a number of guitars and basses and this is a problem I have never come across before. 

While I am playing one of my basses one of the saddle height adjustment screws is undoing itself presumably because of the vibrations.

I did a gig two weeks ago and after 45 minutes of playing  one of the screws had vibrated back into the saddle meaning the low E string was unplayable due to the fret rattle.

Do I need a new saddle or can it be cured?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14717
    ICBM usually suggests adjusting the saddle height, then, applying a drop of Loctite Threadlocker. This comes in several strengths. Try the blue Normal first. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • AJSAJS Frets: 43
    How does the loctite run down the thread ?
    or do you just put a drop on the top of the screw?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72916
    Yes, it will run down the thread if you put a drop on the top. If you don't have threadlock, you can use clear nail varnish or (preferably cheap - it's not as permanent) superglue. It's best to put some kitchen roll around the bridge while you do it in case of drips.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Thanks for that 1 will try the loctite blue
  • HeadphonesHeadphones Frets: 996
    AJS said:

When a screw fits in a cut thread there's a helical gap on the non load side. On the bridge screws there's no head to impede the locking fluid's flow. If it doesn't set too quickly it'll run out the bottom... not usually a problem.
    thanks 

the loctite seems to have worked 

i have done 3 or 4 gigs no problem
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9734
    AJS said:

When a screw fits in a cut thread there's a helical gap on the non load side. On the bridge screws there's no head to impede the locking fluid's flow. If it doesn't set too quickly it'll run out the bottom... not usually a problem.
    It's a problem if the guitar has a nitro finish. Do not ask me how I know this.