NGD...Jet JS400 what a bargain!

What's Hot
UngulateUngulate Frets: 241
Well this is probably the best way to spend £189 I have found.

I'm very impressed with the build quality, only weak link are the tuners, but I think they'll be OK.
The neck didn't need any tweaks but I did have to adjust saddle heights slightly & pick up heights.

No fret buzz, really smooth frets, better than my Gibson Les Paul Standard! Even the trem works, it's floating but doesn't detune after using it, unlike other internet posts have suggested. The neck feels great in my hand, roasted maple allegedly, looks good, not "sticky" when playing, and a rosewood fingerboard I think.

The pickups are non vintage, obvs, they're ceramic but I do like the humbucker in the bridge, which was my reason for buying a second strat.

Oh it arrived with 9s I think, never used them before & I'm going to change for 10s later today as I'm overbending everything.

Go get one!
0reaction image LOL 11reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LionAquaLooperLionAquaLooper Frets: 1735
    Happy NGD day!
    If I wasn't overloaded with budget strats and teles I'd have bought a Jet by now.  
    Also nothing wrong with ceramic pickups!  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25567
    Oooo!

I've long fancied getting something cheap to turn into a single humbucker / EVH sort of thing.

Ungulate - where did you get yours from?

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15276
    edited June 13
    +1

Judging guitar pickups by their printed specifications alone is dumb.

Install 'em, plug into your amplification, play and listen attentively.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • MartinBushMartinBush Frets: 273
    I have a SSS Jet strat and I love it. That one looks pretty decent too. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4635
    Oooo!

I've long fancied getting something cheap to turn into a single humbucker / EVH sort of thing.

Someone was selling such a project on here for £90 in van halen black & white stripes ,don’t know if it’s still available 
  • UngulateUngulate Frets: 241
    Oooo!

From GAK, arrived well packaged via DPD.
    Happy NGD day!
    If I wasn't overloaded with budget strats and teles I'd have bought a Jet by now.  
    Agreed, I wasn't dissing ceramic pickups, they're absolutely fine, just different from my other strat, which is what I wanted to achieve.
    +1

Judging guitar pickups by their printed specifications alone is dumb.

Install 'em, plug into your amplification, play and listen attentively.
    I have no problem with the pickups, honest, & totally agree about just playing the instrument! :-)
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3592
    I have the old Fazley one which is near enough exactly the same guitar, but with a different headstock. My one has one of the best cut nuts and set ups of any guitar I bought. Light body too. 

The pickups are ok as well, but the one area they cut a few pennies on are the pots. I replaced the ones on mine with full sized Alphas. The original ones didn't have much of a taper, maybe yours are better than the ones I had. 

Enjoy your new guitar @Ungulate !
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2228
    I bought a jet 300 secondhand to play "hey you" by pink floyd. I replaced the bridge, machine heads and pickups with some toneriders. It's a great guitar, far better than the sum of its parts. 
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1780
    The necks on these are showstoppers. Pots could do with an upgrade, strings were cheesewire. pickups were not to my taste but fine after lowering. The nut was good, tuners ok and the whole thing was light and well balanced. Play and enjoy!
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15276
    Someone was selling such a project on here for £90 in van halen black & white stripes ,don’t know if it’s still available 
    Paging @jdbwales :)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • I have two Jet guitars, the seafoam green/maple board JS400 strat-alike and the "upmarket Tele" JT350 (the SS one).

The Strat had had new pickups, a new guard and a set up. The Tele has had the bridge pickup swapped out for a Dimarzio Chopper T. Neither needed any changes making, but curiosity got the better of me.

I'd rank both guitars up there with my Mexican Fenders, and I'd say the JS400 is the best strat I've ever owned or played extensively. The necks are worth the admission price alone, and anything else on them is replaceable if not to your liking.

Whenever I think of getting a new guitar now, I look to see if Jet make what I want before looking anywhere else.
    Just so people are aware. I have no idea what any of these words mean.
  • Looks great! That colour is a bit of a Marmite colour innit - but I love Marmite and I love that colour :) Congrats!
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3043
    I bought a JS300 secondhand for something daft like £70, ostensibly as a “decoy” guitar to keep the teenagers away from the collection but it’s a really good guitar. Could maybe go a pickup swap but really it’s fine as is 
  • AcevAcev Frets: 34
    Great guitars, regardless of their "budget" friendly price. Probably the best in their price point at the moment. And its not just about the specs, its about the feel !
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 2161
    I have the exact model in Sea Foam Green and I tthink its great. The neck feels lovely but like most electrics its too skinny for me personally. That is not exclusive to the strat as I am more of an acoustic man. Its well worth having around though and I doubt I will sell it in any hurry.
  • AdjiAdji Frets: 156
    tFB Trader
    They are so good for the money. Got a JS300 about three years ago (not long after they first landed) and the neck is really great. Pickups are average at best, and the bridge feels a bit like its made from tin foil, but on the whole really great.

Earlier this year I got it fretted in 24EDO / Quarter tonal.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C59X7siMDyY/

• earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3592
    Adji said:
    They are so good for the money. Got a JS300 about three years ago (not long after they first landed) and the neck is really great. Pickups are average at best, and the bridge feels a bit like its made from tin foil, but on the whole really great.

Earlier this year I got it fretted in 24EDO / Quarter tonal.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C59X7siMDyY/

Wow. You are a fine guitarist for sure.

Did you replace the bridge on yours? If so what did you use? 
  • xGizmoxGizmo Frets: 1118
    I had the JS400 in SFG, as noted by others the bridge was pretty much trash (sloppy trem arm) so i replaced it with at £25 Wilko from Aliexpress

Sold it after a few weeks because i didn't get on with the lower 9.5" radius, Neck profile was super though, i read the newer fazleys are pretty much the same neck profile but with a 12" board,so i might look at picking one of those up.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom