What's Hot

Comments

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 27125
    edited June 11
    RedRabbit said:
    RedRabbit said:
    RedRabbit said:
    I'm starting to get a little concerned.

Last week I arranged to go and see the pup with parents this Thursday.  I offered to pay a deposit through Pets4Homes but they've never sent the payment request or asked me to initiate the process (I don't know how much the deposit is).  It was just left that I'd message them tomorrow to confirm I'm still going and they'd send me the address.

I've messaged them a couple of times today to try and find out what's going on as they've updated the advert to show the one girl pup as the only one available and ready to go.  So far I've had no response either through text or the site's messages.  I'm hopefully worrying about nothing, but I am starting to get the feeling that they are ignoring me.
    Very rare that a reputable breeder would do that; in fact, it's often the case that backyard breeders suddenly become very hard to contact when you make requests like seeing the pup with the parents, asking for the parents' hip scores and medical records with the vets' contact numbers etc (which are all things you should do if you're going through a breeder).

Are they a licensed breeder?
    They're shown as licensed on both Pets4Homes and their website (the latter is mainly for stud hire).

When I originally messaged them they weren't quick to respond but I'd get a response in a couple of hours.  They were happy to let me see them with the parents - dad is one of their studs (and a very handsome fella).  Dad's genetic tests were on the advert.  All seems above board, I just can't get a response out of them now.

Just a bit bemused and anxious at the moment...
    Got a response on my way home.  The pup is still available but they are now saying that they can't keep her for the extra week and I'd need to bring her home on Thursday.  Still no mention of paying for either a deposit or making the payment through Pets4Homes (they hold the funds until the buyer confirms they have received the pet).

I've not really got everything ready to bring her home on Thursday, but I could scramble tomorrow and get the few bits I'd need right away...

I don't know if I'm being paranoid but I've got alarm bells ringing in the back of my head.
    Yeah, that kind of pushy tactic is very much a backyard breeder thing - so you've got no real chance to think about it, you have to make a decision on the spot when you've got a cute puppy in your hands. It's only when you get home that you realise you forgot to ask about the parents' health checks (it's not just about genetics), you had no chance to verify that they're real, or...many other things.

Lack of deposit is weirdly common, because it means there's no legal or financial trail to obligate them.

I'm not trying to talk you out of it, just...there are a lot of red flags with this one.

Good breeders will also often insist on a contract that commits you to spay/neuter, to return the dog to them if it doesn't work out, and to have a dual chip which has their address permanently associated with the dog as a backup to make sure it doesn't fall into the rescue system. Basically, they're committed to the welfare of the dog first and foremost, and everything else is secondary to that.

This lot don't sound like they're going to do any of those things.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • RedRabbitRedRabbit Frets: 501
    Well, I've agreed to go and see it as planned on Thursday but I'm very wary. 

I've asked for them to arrange the payment through Pets4Homes so I can release the payment when/if I'm happy that everything is above board.  If they object to that I think it's a deal breaker.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 1025
    edited June 11
    Definitely worth having a read here if you are not 100% sure: https://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/getting-a-dog/buying-a-dog/

How did you feel when dealing with the breeders in person? What kind of vibe did you get?

If you feel like too many red flags then definitely walk away, no matter how cute the puppy is, they all are.

Does the address they gave you correspond with this one? https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/12697564/officers

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • barnstormbarnstorm Frets: 643
    As much as it can be annoying to feel, as a responsible owner, that you have to submit to a sort of job interview to be able to get a new dog, it should be the case that the breeder/rescue centre takes a close interest in the person wanting to buy/adopt.

Holding a puppy a little longer to ensure it goes to a good home shouldn’t be a problem at all. If it were me, I’d be walking away, and not just because I think it’s better to have a mongrel from a shelter.

I presume you’ve had a good look around social media to get a bit of feel for the person in charge, if you’ve not really been able to communicate with him?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    barnstorm said:
    As much as it can be annoying to feel, as a responsible owner, that you have to submit to a sort of job interview to be able to get a new dog, it should be the case that the breeder/rescue centre takes a close interest in the person wanting to buy/adopt.

Holding a puppy a little longer to ensure it goes to a good home shouldn’t be a problem at all. If it were me, I’d be walking away, and not just because I think it’s better to have a mongrel from a shelter.

I presume you’ve had a good look around social media to get a bit of feel for the person in charge, if you’ve not really been able to communicate with him?
    It's her, and yes I've had good snoop.  As well as the stud hire, she runs a dog grooming business and all the feedback on both businesses is very positive.

All I can do is see what feel I get for it when I go and see the pup.  I'm hoping it's just poor communication skills and being disorganised.  I get the impression this is the first litter they've had so I think she might just be unfamiliar with what's expected.  That said, I've done my research as a buyer so why wouldn't the seller do the same.

On a separate note, I went out to see a client today and they are looking at getting into selling dog collars and leads.  Naturally, I showed some interest and was told to rummage through what they've got and take a couple of "samples".   Whatever puppy I end up with will now be sporting a rugged purple collar with matching lead.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12548
    Well I really hope it all ends well @RedRabbit but I do understand your very valid concerns.
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3112
    edited June 13
    A tale of puppy purchase

Since I first saw The Incredible Journey and Oliver! Ive wanted an English Bull Terrier…for years….

First try

Finally realised my dream about 7 years ago, travelled from the Isle of Wight to Gloucester to view a Miniature EBT pup, fell head over heels, paid came home, went back and picked him up a couple of weeks later….

After a few days he stated displaying aggressive behaviours, not a nip here or there, proper full on lost the plot, pin it down until it stops, this is a little pup, but scary as, we kidded ourselves he would grow out of it, he didn't, he got worse. You could be sat reading with him on your lap and he would just flip, no trigger, just flip

Eventually got professional help, recommendation, euthenasia, likely oxygen starvation in a difficult birth causing brain damage, we did the deed there and then
    Utterly devastated..

The breeder made all the right noises, all the checks had been done (we never saw or asked for written evidence)

We had him a month….

Second try

”Why dont we adopt?”
    We contacted an EBT Rescue group and expressed an interest After many weeks a 9month old bitch became available for rehoming, we arranged a meet at a motorway services, the rescue would pick her up and we’d meet halfway, another big road trip, she was stunning! Brought her home, on trial with a view to adoption. 
    On arriving home it soon became obvious she was completely deaf, never had a deaf dog, but research showed its important from day one to train the dog to keep looking at you and to use hand signals, not easy with any dog, but with a wilful, stubborn, easily distracted breed, really hard work. She had spent a lot of time crated, her foot pads were so soft I had to carry her to grass to walk on. She loved being out and was great with children and other dogs, she loved the beach a swimming in the sea
    We soon realised we didn't have the skills and she went back to the rescue.

A decision we still regret…

Third try
    KC registered breeder, many conversations, being vetted by the breeder, pups seen with mum, documentary evidence of medical tests, absolutely no pressure to buy. Shes almost 5 now, laying on the bed next to me snoring as I type, shes stubborn, wilful, easily distracted, strong, loves the beach  and sea, socailised and as good as a dog can be with other dogs and people, sometimes hugely frustrating, makes us laugh every day
    we got there in the end……

Check everything, take nothing for granted, see written evidence of test reports, there are plenty of pups needing homes, do your best to get a good one, if it feels even remotely “off” or pressured walk away, research breed issues, don’t be seduced by a bundle of fluffy puppy…

Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

Thanks for the advice and I'm sorry about the troubles you had finding a dog.  I'd have been heartbroken if I had to put a pup down like that.

Today is the day and I'm a mix of excited and anxious.  I'm just sorting my desk out and I'll be setting off in about half an hour. 

After agreeing to take her today if I'm happy, the breeder has actually been a lot easier to communicate with.   I don't know if there's a genuine reason behind her wanting the pup gone ASAP, but I'm wondering if she was just wary of telling me in case it put me off (which, to be fair, it nearly did).

I've also had it pointed out to me that I have unrealistic expectations of the average persons communication skills. 

I've got a mental checklist of questions and things I want to see (I'm going to write them down before I set off) and, as hard as it may be, I am prepared to walk away.

Regardless of what happens I'll report back on the experience.
  • ColdfingersColdfingers Frets: 34
    RedRabbit said:

I'd be wanting to know Bertie's Kennel Club name so that I could check health test results myself. I find it a bit strange that they've got him on the website with health tests listed but haven't put up his KC name.

It's been a long afternoon...

Long story short, I'm now at home with a new puppy.  I'll do pictures and introductions later as she's currently asleep in her crate.

All concerns were quickly put to rest.  It was the husband who greeted us and he brought the pup to the door with him.  All her papers were laid out on the table along with Dad's family tree going back five generations (and his KC name is on there but I can't recall it).

The reason they wanted me to take her quickly is because raising the pups has really taken its toll on mum.  Mum seemed healthy and energetic, but was looking a little trim.

Dad was an absolute delight.  Just a lovely, handsome dog who has obviously been loved and cared for.

Pup was instantly curious about me and was climbing into my lap as soon as I got on the floor with her.  Obviously used to being handled, no issue with me taking hold of her collar or feet.  We played tug for a bit and never flinched when I went to remove a stray bit of rope from her mouth.

She was nursed most of the way home by the friend I took with me.  She whimpered for about 5 minutes before settling.  She spent the rest of the journey alternating between sleeping and playing.  Due to traffic it took about 2 and a half hours to get back to Stockport.

For the last 20 minutes of the journey she had to go in the crate.  Again, maybe five minutes of whimpering before settling.  She did have a little accident in the crate but nothing too major.

Since getting home, she's been fed and played with for half an hour.  Once she lost interest in the pull rope, I took her outside but she just wanted to eat grass and play with twigs.

She's now fast asleep in her crate so I'm going to leave her for a while and will have another play and trip outside before trying to settle her down for the night.
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12530
    Glad it all turned out ok! 
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16297
    What vaccination certs does she have ?
    Make sure she is fully vaccinated before going out .......Parvo is absolutely rife and will kill a puppy very quickly
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7400
    congrats! looking forward to the pics
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    Hope this works...

So, this is Layla. A hugely affectionate and curious puppy. Her main objectives this morning have been to explore the house and curl up on my lap and go to sleep.

It's debatable as to whether she's more led by her stomach or her nose...every inch of the part of the house she has access to has been sniffed and investigated. Despite me thinking I'd puppy proofed the area, she's managed to find no end of things to grab hold of that she shouldn't have and on finding them she usual tries to eat them.  Thankfully, she's already responding to her name so getting them off her is no problem.

Toilet training is going to take a bit of work. She left a puddle in her crate overnight (though she never whimpered once she'd settled down) and, following a successful garden poo after breakfast, she went for a nap in her crate and made a mess in the couple of minutes I left the room to get my laptop.

Introduction to the cat didn't go particularly well but all they did was make unhappy noises at each other until the cat scampered off (the front room has been partitioned so she's able to run off if she wants to).

Insurance has been sorted (Pet Plan, on going treatment up to £7k/year) and I've begun the process of registering her at the local vet.  This evenings job is to get the microchip transferred to my name, get a name tag ordered.  Oh, 
    0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3923
    What a cutie!

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12537
    What a lovely pup!!!

We have a Labrador, he sometimes smells, especially if he's been eating cat shit from the garden... he barks at delivery drivers, he stands wherever you want to walk, and he would happily spend every waking moment playing fetch... he's a pain...

... and my whole family loves him to pieces and he repays it by being the cuddliest, floppiest and most loving animal you could ever meet.

Enjoy your new Dog you have some wonderful years of companionship ahead!! :)
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • S56035S56035 Frets: 1266
    Gorgeous. Well done and enjoy growing up together.
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12548
    Oh my word!  That pup is GORGEOUS!!!  So pleased it worked out - lots of fun times lie ahead for you both.

HNPD!
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19515
    Layla is a lovely pup, such a bonny lass. She looks full of fun & character, you'll never have a dull moment  ;)