Dirty Compressor options.

What's Hot
fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24906
in FX

After some youtube recommendations I've gone down a rabbit hole of dirty / driven compressors. 

Like the JHS Pulp & Peel or Fairfield Accountant and that sort of thing. They get really quite dirty and are the total opposite of transparent compression.  

Other than those 2, what else is there? I think I'd like to try something like that.

The mini size of the Accountant would be perfect for me, but I'd like to know about alternatives.  

Cheap or expensive recommendations welcome.

ta.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• oh_pollooh_pollo Frets: 889
    Celmo Sardine Can does this.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6190
    VFE White Horse. There’s one on eBay atm. Capable of light or extremely heavy compression with an add drive control. Also the Philosopher’ comp has a version with grit control (I just sold mine).
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7337
    The Accountant is definitely the one for a gritty comp. Long time user, can attest. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SupportactSupportact Frets: 1121
    I use an Orange Squeezer clone live. It seems to add a bit of grit and has plenty of volume boost available to drive the amp or any drive pedal after it. I'm guessing from the name the JHS one you mention is related in some way, but I've not tried one.

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24906
    The Accountant is definitely the one for a gritty comp. Long time user, can attest. 

That's currently at the top of my GAS list if I can find a used one for sensible money.

I love this bass video of it. Shows how different a bass can sound just by adding the drums. What was a bit farty / nasally when isolated turns into a gloriously fat but surprisingly clean sound just by adding the drums.

I've got a few drive pedals that will do something similar, but then I need a compressor as well etc, so if I can do it 1 mini box that would be ace.

• ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6240
    tFB Trader

After some youtube recommendations I've gone down a rabbit hole of dirty / driven compressors. 

Like the JHS Pulp & Peel or Fairfield Accountant and that sort of thing. They get really quite dirty and are the total opposite of transparent compression.  

Other than those 2, what else is there? I think I'd like to try something like that.

The mini size of the Accountant would be perfect for me, but I'd like to know about alternatives.  

Cheap or expensive recommendations welcome.

ta.

the catalinbread NICOMPressor does that nice gritty fet based compression thing. its based on the lockbox choker which is an awesome and highly collectible vintage compressor. 

Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    ThorpyFX said:

the catalinbread NICOMPressor does that nice gritty fet based compression thing. its based on the lockbox choker which is an awesome and highly collectible vintage compressor. 

I'm going to have to try one just because of the silly name! :D 

It seems the NINCOMPressor has been discontinued.

Bah.

• UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 13053
    I really want to try an Accountant but I can't remember the last time I saw a used one for sale. They're basically non existent it seems. 
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3357
    I've always thought the Dynacomp was good for that but found some good ones in the Zoom MS-70 CDR and the Orange Squeezer clone was very good. One recently went on Basschat for £50 and then you have all the other good stuff, too, from that pedal.
    I've heard good things about the Zoom as well. But for this board build I want old school!

• YorkieYorkie Frets: 1566
    I realise this won’t be for everyone, but an Orange Squeezer DIY clone will do that job. Just tweak components to suit your taste. 
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
    My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie

• KurtisKurtis Frets: 891
    I use an orange squeezer for bass too with an od after it. You can use the volume on the os to shape the sound a bit. 
  • YorkieYorkie Frets: 1566
    And you could put the OD in front of the OS to get even more of a squeeze :)
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
    My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie

• jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 792
    Not a dirty compressor but dirt and compressor - Strymon Compare is outstanding and when both sides are used in conjunction with the boost set to 'dirty' and the flat mode selected, you can get some incredible dirty compressed tones. 
    edited June 21
    Not a dirty compressor but dirt and compressor - Strymon Compare is outstanding and when both sides are used in conjunction with the boost set to 'dirty' and the flat mode selected, you can get some incredible dirty compressed tones. 
    I'll give it a listen. It's quite a big unit though and I'm looking for nothing bigger than a Boss size.

• ShipwreckShipwreck Frets: 65
    Pigtronix Philosopher's Tone? The new-ish 2 model has an additional footswitch. Would bleeding love to try the Fairfield though. Love the Barbershop and literally all the demos of their stuff but - again - v scarce.
    I just got an email from a shop announcing they had a delivery of The Accountant so I’ve ordered it.

Hopefully it will do the trick!

• WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9727
    UAFX MAX - the red knob is designed to add dirt/OD
  • pluckbuddypluckbuddy Frets: 321
    The Accountant is nice. Adds some brightness - at least it did with my set up. 

In the end I preferred the Barbershop v2 for grit and using the sag control to add some compression, and it has a switch to roll off high end if required. 

I want to try more from Fairfield - shallow water, Randy's revenge and meet maude... the list goes on.