SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

WTB Dremel Tool or Similar

What's Hot
tugwellguitartugwellguitar Frets: 76
edited June 19 in Misc £
 Hi there ,
I am after a Dremel tool  or similar for home projects on my own guitars.
Most likely to use it for set ups,polishing frets etc.
If anyone has something suitable they want to sell on,I would really appreciate it.
Also appreciate recommendations for the most suitable tool I’d need . 

Thanks for looking .
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 20601
    edited June 19
    You could do worse than trying one of the rotary multitools from places like Lidl.
    https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/threads/rotary-tool-at-lidl.97794/
    I have had Dremel's (still do) since they first arrived in the UK as a unique premium product, but honestly they are no longer better value than the much cheaper copies.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks very much KF ,
    great tip , I’ll definitely check them out .
    Much appreciated 
  • pt22pt22 Frets: 392
    You could do worse than trying one of the rotary multitools from places like Lidl.
    I have had Dremel's (still do) since they first arrived in the UK as a unique premium product, but honestly they are no longer better value than the much cheaper copies.
    True, but the accessory options for the Dremel are off the charts. I’d stick with the original for that alone. 
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 20601
    pt22 said:
    True, but the accessory options for the Dremel are off the charts. I’d stick with the original for that alone. 
    Which accessory options do you refer to, that would make a Dremel a better purchase over a cheaper copy, for uses like fret polishing?
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11978
    edited June 20 tFB Trader
    Bosch who now own Dremel do a cordless multi tool that takes the same 12v battery as their small drills etc, and it fits all the dremel stuff.

Here are some of my Dremels (have a big Foredom hanging motor version too)
    The Bosch I mentioned is the Blue one third from the right.
    It has the same collets as the Dremels and the threaded nose is the same and fits the router bases and other attachments including the flex shaft.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• pt22pt22 Frets: 392
    pt22 said:
    Which accessory options do you refer to, that would make a Dremel a better purchase over a cheaper copy, for uses like fret polishing?
    Definitely the flex shaft, failing that the detailing grip. If we expand out the use case from fret detailing which is pretty logical the branded and 3rd party accessories for the Dremel are long-established. 

Look, I’m not saying the one from Lidl is bad value, but no one is not buying this to use once or for one job only (they are so useful you’ll for sure fine another use), so buying into the ecosystem is something to consider. 
  • Thanks guys, for the great information, it really is very helpful, I’ll have a think about how much I will use it and decide from there. 
    This forum is such a great resource.
    Thanks again. 

• xGizmoxGizmo Frets: 1118
     Hi there ,
    I am after a Dremel tool  or similar for home projects on my own guitars.

Parkside drem a like is back instock at lidl for the 30th @ £22.99

I have the aldi version of this one and it's a great little tool. GL

• BillDLBillDL Frets: 9018
    The Harvey Binton ones are easily as good as the Dremel ones but for a quarter of the price after you upgrade the carry case :)
  • DuploLicksDuploLicks Frets: 274
    BillDL said:
    The Harvey Binton ones are easily as good as the Dremel ones but for a quarter of the price after you upgrade the carry case :)
    I swapped out the plug on mine. Can’t decide if it’s any better so I might revert. 
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 2013
    BillDL said:
    IME this is probably more insightful than you intended, I bought a Dremel about 15 years ago and the blow moulded case was utterly dreadful. It was a massive pain to get the tool and flex shaft back in its case and I ended up storing it in a plain plastic storage box. The fancy cases for the accessories disintegrated after a few years. TBH, I thought the Dremel design was pretty rubbish and if I’d had my time again I’d buy a copy. 

I used it for fret polishing for the first time a couple of months back and it did a decent job, but you have to be really careful you don’t sling polishing compound everywhere. Next time, I’ll go back to wire wool, but each to their own. 
  • Thanks everyone for being so helpful with this .