Kahler Locking Trem Help Needed!

What's Hot
deloreandelorean Frets: 237

I recently picked up a great 1986 MIJ Strat which has a factory fitted locking nut and Kahler 2520 trem.

But... The whammy bar doesn't stay put - it just swings loosely .  If I tighten it all the way to the point where it finally stays in place, it's pointing backwards.. Arrgh!

Short of Gorilla Glueing the damn thing  (no, not really), any ideas what I can do to remedy this?

Thanks in advance!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 17463
    Quick fix - PTFE tape on the threads, enough so it stops where you want.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4406
    PTFE tape?
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• HabaneroHabanero Frets: 275
    PTFE tape?
    Think insulating tape. Parcel tape or sellotape would probably disintegrate easily.
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7340
    tFB Trader
    PTFE tape?

• deloreandelorean Frets: 237
    WezV said:
    Ah good thinking - I'll give that a go, thanks! =)

Any ideas for a more permanent solution?  The seller seemed to think a spring of some sort would be needed, but he wasn't much more descriptive other that that!
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15382
    edited June 25 tFB Trader
    delorean said:
    WezV said:
    Ah good thinking - I'll give that a go, thanks!

Any ideas for a more permanent solution?  The seller seemed to think a spring of some sort would be needed, but he wasn't much more descriptive other that that!
    You can put a small spring under the Trem arm so inside the thread section of the block- It does work and Fender suggest this and sell them

https://www.fender.com/en-GB/parts/bridges/american-series-stratocaster-tremolo-arm-tension-springs/0994931000.html
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11670
    I put some PTFE tape on the bar on my Strat. It's been working fine for years now. It's been a quick, cheap and easy fix.

Presumably Eric Johnson can tell the difference between different brands of tape.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15225
    edited June 25
    scrumhalf said:
    Presumably, Eric Johnson can tell the difference between different brands of tape.
    EJ could put that skill to good use if/when PTFE is banned for the bio-toxicity of its breakdown products.

Try to wrap the tape over the vibrato arm threads so as to form a gentle taper - thicker towards the bend in the arm. This helps the tape to fill the slack in the block threads.*

* This is how PTFE tape achieves its magic.

The wraps eventually bond chemically to form a dependable barrier between threaded pipe fittings. These, in turn, prevent leaks in plumbing installations.

The common name for this product is plumber's tape.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • xGizmoxGizmo Frets: 1118
    I kind of recall that the grub screw accessed on the rear of the trem body locks the arm inplace (its been 20 years since i looked at one of these though)

edited June 25
    Gizmo said:

Excellent photograph of the Kahler 2500/2520 "Traditional" fulcrum vibrato bridge …

BUT

… did the 1986 MIJ Stratocaster feature this or Fender's own System 1 vibrato?

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25054
    Excellent photograph of the Kahler 2500/2520 "Traditional" fulcrum vibrato bridge …

BUT

… did the 1986 MIJ Stratocaster feature this or Fender's own System 1 vibrato?

It's a long time ago and I don't remember for sure, but it seems there were late-'80s Fenders with the Kahler traditional bridge:

https://reverb.com/item/65353032-fender-stratocaster-standard-model-2-w-kahler-tremolo-1987-vintage-white

I'm assuming that bridge is original... it wouldn't be a direct replacement for the System 1 as I think that had wider stud spacing:

Kahler 25xx vibrato bridge family has the same two-point pivot spacing as Fender American Standard BUT wildly different pivot design. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74399
    Kahler 25xx vibrato bridge family has the same two-point pivot spacing as Fender American Standard BUT wildly different pivot design. 
    The posts do at least fit the same body insert threads, from memory.

This is useful, since it means you can replace the Kahler with a USA Std bridge when the Kahler becomes unserviceable. (Although the string clamp at the other end also needs to be removed and a string tree fitted.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    IIRC, the Kahler 25xx was available with pivot posts and inserts of two different diameters. Only one of these is directly compatible with Fender USA and MIM.
    Damn I love this site, you guys are so knowledgeable! =)
    Gizmo said:
    I kind of recall that the grub screw accessed on the rear of the trem body locks the arm inplace (its been 20 years since i looked at one of these though)

Unbelievably, I hadn't even spotted this grub screw hole - there's no screw in it, but there's definitely a hole there!
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25054
    delorean said:
    Gizmo said:
    Unbelievably, I hadn't even spotted this grub screw hole - there's no screw in it, but there's definitely a hole there!
    If I remember right, there was a little piece of hard plastic in that hole, which the grub screw pressed against the trem arm....

And you can still buy spares:

https://whammyparts.com/manufacturer/tremolo-and-bridge-systems/make-model/kahler-replacement-parts/25xx-traditional/results,1-0

• BillDLBillDL Frets: 8975
    From the page linked to by @Philly_Q you would be looking for the parts 109 and 110:

I don't know what thread that grub screw is, but I would guess it's imperial and probably UNC 6-32 or maybe UNF 6-40.  A number of years ago while I was looking for exactly the same solution as you, but hadn't found anywhere to buy the parts, I found a white nylon set screw / grub screw with the right thread and the flat blade screwdriver end as shown below, and it worked pretty well, but you can't tighten them too much without chewing the screwdriver socket:

You can also get nylon tipped grub screws and even "spring plunger" grub screws with a spring-loaded captive ball bearing in the end.  I've used both of these on Fender style trem bridges where I tapped a hole up through the block and the grub screw up through the block pressed against the bottom of the arm.  Either of them might work through the edge of a trem bridge to apply some pressure to the circumference of the smooth part of the arm.
    delorean said:
    Damn I love this site, you guys are so knowledgeable! =)
    Nah. Just old. 

Senility robs recent, short-term memories. Useless information, garnered decades ago, stays put.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74399
    Nah. Just old. 

Senility robs recent, short-term memories. Useless information, garnered decades ago, stays put.
    We also learned the hard way about the pitfalls of all these ‘old’ vibrato systems when they were the latest new technology and would solve the problems of Fender’s original design…

;)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein