anyone own a static caravan?

What's Hot

Comments

• hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4376
    Talking of camper vans ,I’ve seen people make Stealth ones that look just like a white van so you can park anywhere at night 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19797
    edited July 1
    Talking of camper vans ,I’ve seen people make Stealth ones that look just like a white van so you can park anywhere at night 
    Don't you need a sign saying 'Tools are left sleeping in this van overnight'?
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Rob1742Rob1742 Frets: 1087
    I’ve emailed the OP in more detail, but in a more simple way

1. Site fees range from a couple of grand to much more per year.
    2. Licenses tend to be for 15 years and after that you have to pay for the caravans removal, so it’s basically a depreciating asset.
    3. The most important decision is the site and location. It’s a commitment so you must want to be there. Research and appreciating the location is vital on this 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10719
    I’m gonna do a van conversion myself. All my childhood holidays were in van conversions … although with 7 sisters and 3 brothers those Van conversions were pretty big. With a  van you can stop just about anywhere. 
    There’s a few places near me with full time static caravans but they tend to be £400  a month and up
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 24203
    Oh, I think there's one parked outside my house right now.
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15985
    Philly_Q said:
    that's more of an, um, observation van.

Erm, I guess. Not like I'd know or anything...

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 24203
    VimFuego said:
    Philly_Q said:
    that's more of an, um, observation van.

Erm, I guess. Not like I'd know or anything...
    They must be observing someone else then.  Nothing to see here...
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 8169
    There are ways that you can make a small campervan with no shower or toilet more homely, for example an awning to extend the usable area and a toilet tent that doubles as a place to sit on a chemical toilet or you can rig up a hose with shower head from the campervan inside it.  There are also containers that absorb outside heat very quickly that you fill with water and use for showering. I've noticed some small campervans with the awning rolled up on the side above the sliding door, and I'm sure you can buy zip-on sides to partially or fully enclose the area.  This has to be specified when booking a pitch on most commercial caravan sites and most charge extra for the additional space it takes up.  Of course if you are booking a pitch on a touring van site there are always toilet and shower blocks.  There is also the issue of the space the folded down toilet tent and/or awning parts take up in the van.
  • Rob1742Rob1742 Frets: 1087
    Taking the financials out of the equation, I think a static is a great idea for many people. I think it’s one of those things where many people really enjoy having one, so good luck to them if it’s what they want. It’s clearly popular. For many people it’s a dream to be able to enjoy their favourite holiday destination all year round.

The Campervan stories I hear are amazing. I now have three friends who have them who are having a great time. Two retired couples and a family of three and it’s great to hear all their tales of adventure. All thoroughly enjoying their camper vans 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3766
    My sister in law has one. Her site fees have just gone up (they go up every year) to nearly eighty quid a week!

Added to that a static falls in value every year and most site owners demand you buy a new one after so long and charge you to take the old one away.

With the upkeep, site rent and depreciation I'd rather stay in a B&B or rent a caravan. Static ownership IMO can be a millstone.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12150
    For me to get it's worth, I look at it from the cost of a nice hotel/B&B in the area or anywhere for the same duration and to A/B comparison.

The hotel/B&B or Air BnB option is almost always far more attractive, less strings, more flexibility and cheaper.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11621
    For me to get it's worth, I look at it from the cost of a nice hotel/B&B in the area or anywhere for the same duration and to A/B comparison.

The hotel/B&B or Air BnB option is almost always far more attractive, less strings, more flexibility and cheaper.

My mother-in-law has a large family (my wife is one of seven children) so hers does get a lot of use.  She's also let friends use it on occasion for a small contribution to pay for the electricity and gas.  In that kind of situation, the value works out better.  It's not worth it for one or two weekends a month though. 

The other option is to get some money back by renting it out when you are not there.  Again, if you are at a Parkdean site, I think that has to go through them and they will take a slice (as far as I know).  You also don't have any control of who is going in there.

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16550

https://i.imgur.com/dYw5CDn.jpeg

I was trying to find something on my pictures on my iPad that would illustrate a point and for better or worse this will do. This is the stellplatz in Wurzburg in Bavaria.*It is a big car park with cars and areas marked for motorhomes and campervans. Pay a parking fee and there is also access to fresh water and empty your waste water and toilet cassette. Ten minutes walk into the popular tourist town, go drink wine on the bridge, visit the palace,etc, go back to your vehicle and have a sleep and then go somewhere else the next day. 

I absolutely understand that this is many people’s idea of holiday hell but it could equally be by a beach or a lake (or the Auschwitz museum). But there are thousands of recognised stopping places over Europe and not many in the U.K. But it’s why I think a van/camper/motorhome/RV with at least the facilities to have a poo and a shower and not be reliant upon campsite facilities is needed. Relatively few equivalents** in the U.K. so if you never cross The Channel it’s a different set of issues. 

*The Concorde factory also somewhere near there which is why there was an over representation of 400k€ massive motorhomes. 

**last week we had a night on the rugby club car park in Aberystwyth which is the same basic idea although drinking wine on a bridge there isn’t quite as romantic. 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    @EricTheWeary that looks like a really good idea. You don't go on city breaks for the stunning vistas, but the idea of just rocking up for a night then moving on really appeals. 

• SnapSnap Frets: 6280
    VimFuego said:
    Thinking of buying one, probably in the Dales or Peak district to use as a base for a bit of walking. My work pattern means I'll be able to use it for about a week per month, mebbe a bit more. Was wondering about hidden costs, how much value they lose over time, etc etc. 
    Hi mate, I live on the Peak District border with Sheffield so if you need any pointers about places to go to, let me know.

Statics- from what I know they are terrible for depreciation and I think many sites insist on you moving once it gets to a certain age. I think a camper van might be a better shout perhaps. You could see a lot of places that way. 
    Snap said:
    VimFuego said:
    Thinking of buying one, probably in the Dales or Peak district to use as a base for a bit of walking. My work pattern means I'll be able to use it for about a week per month, mebbe a bit more. Was wondering about hidden costs, how much value they lose over time, etc etc. 
    Hi mate, I live on the Peak District border with Sheffield so if you need any pointers about places to go to, let me know.

Statics- from what I know they are terrible for depreciation and I think many sites insist on you moving once it gets to a certain age. I think a camper van might be a better shout perhaps. You could see a lot of places that way. 
    thanks mate, it is indeed looking like a campervan is the way forwards. 

• westwest Frets: 1010
    I lived in my static 11 mnths of the year for 4 years .... it was fab experience in the shropshire hills .... no probs living in the static but i would only do it again if i owned the piece of land it was on ! ( and thats like looking for rocking horse shit )

I now have a vw t4 transporter .... ;) ...
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10719
    The trouble with hotels and Air BnB is you have to book them in advance before you have any idea what the weather is going to do. If you have a camper and the weather's great you can just get going and enjoy it. 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16550
    The economics of owning a van don't make a lot of sense if it's only use is to replace an annual fortnight's holiday in Benidorm. But that's true of a static caravan or even a really nice tent. Anything new off a forecourt will have big depreciation but values bottom out quite quickly so if you are wise/lucky you can pretty much get your money back if you get fed up after a couple of years. Clean air zones becoming more common so anything pre Euro VI starts becoming potentially problematic for a lot of touring. Although having said that still plenty of 1990s Hymer campers around (all that galvanized Mercedes chassis) and old army vehicles conversions,etc. Last week we kept bumping into an ambulance conversion that they hadn't repainted, many car drivers stuck behind it wondering who was going to hospital so slowly. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom