Ray Reardon RIP

What's Hot
OffsetOffset Frets: 12895
Absolutely top bloke.  Part of my childhood.  Very sad.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• tone1tone1 Frets: 5228
    I played Ray back in the 80’s as he lived near me in Brixham, and I took him to the pink ball (he won)….then he had a 120 break in the next frame. Absolute Gentleman RIP 
    0reaction image LOL 8reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DodgeDodge Frets: 1474
    Just saw this - one of the greats.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19799
    One of the old school greats. RIP Dracula.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14921
    Legend.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15021
    tFB Trader
    Offset said:
    Absolutely top bloke.  Part of my childhood.  Very sad.
    I'm pretty certain that my earliest memories of snooker were from Pot Black - As such Ray was part n parcel of such a show - This would be way before we got blanket covering via TV then Sky - Not sure when the World Championship first appeared on TV, so not sure when I first watched it - Earliest memory was when they broke in to the TV coverage in 1980 for the Iran Embassy Siege, but can't recall to much before then

So yes Pot Black and Ray was part of my childhood - RIP Ray 
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2897
    They all looked so old, even in the 70s
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5646
    Top bloke. RIP
  • JfingersJfingers Frets: 422
    Another one who remembers him from childhood and thought of him as Dracula. RIP Ray.
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4834
    Great player who didn't take himself too seriously.  RIP, Ray.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• OffsetOffset Frets: 12895
    guitars4you said:

Earliest memory was when they broke in to the TV coverage in 1980 for the Iran Embassy Siege, but can't recall to much before then
    Bloody hell Mark!!!  Just remembered where I was (my local pub) and what I was doing (drinking!)
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3373
    edited July 20
    Ah, that's sad and I'm another with childhood memories of RR but also because my dear late dad looked like him, Dracula/Christopher Lee and everyone used to say that.
    RIP
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • swillerswiller Frets: 1545
    Pure gentleman of snooker and very funny. And a welshman, what more do you want. Hope to see some tributes to him on tv etc. Sure he was the goat before the likes of hendry/davis.
    RIP
    Dont worry, be silly.
  • BlaendulaisBlaendulais Frets: 3330
    Such a class man with such poise. A great player
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5883
    Very sad, I loved those days of Snooker back then. He had a bloody good innings though, old lad!
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15021
    edited July 20 tFB Trader
    Offset said:
    guitars4you said:

Earliest memory was when they broke in to the TV coverage in 1980 for the Iran Embassy Siege, but can't recall to much before then
    Bloody hell Mark!!!  Just remembered where I was (my local pub) and what I was doing (drinking!)
    Just looked at world champion winners in the 70's and I can't recall watching any of them win - Don't recall what TV coverage we had then - But can recall that year (1980) and Cliff Thorburn beating Alex - It was certainly a 'where were you when ' moment in time because of that 'interruption' and the SAS knock at the door and can we come in
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4376
    R.i.p Ray , wasn’t a snooker fan but remember him being on something like bbc2 on Saturday night before a horror film came on when I was about 8 & at my friends house .  A very sad loss 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 24204
    He wasn't immortal after all then?
    Just looked at world champion winners in the 70's and I can't recall watching any of them win - Don't recall what TV coverage we had then - But can recall that year (1980) and Cliff Thorburn beating Alex - It was certainly a 'where were you when ' moment in time because of that 'interruption' and the SAS knock at the door and can we come in
    I don't think there was really any significant TV coverage of snooker in the 1970s, other than Pot Black.  When Terry Griffiths won the world championship, as a qualifier, in 1979 (the year I did my O Levels) it was big news in South Wales but I didn't see any of it on TV.  However, Wikipedia tells me that by that time the BBC had daily highlights programmes and limited coverage of the final.

Still remember old Ray as a familiar figure in the 1980s though, and John Virgo's impressions of him.

RIP
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12895
    R.i.p Ray , wasn’t a snooker fan but remember him being on something like bbc2 on Saturday night before a horror film came on 
    He wasn't on before the horror film - he was in it :-)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16550
    Philly_Q said:
    He wasn't immortal after all then?
    I don't think there was really any significant TV coverage of snooker in the 1970s, other than Pot Black.  When Terry Griffiths won the world championship, as a qualifier, in 1979 (the year I did my O Levels) it was big news in South Wales but I didn't see any of it on TV.  However, Wikipedia tells me that by that time the BBC had daily highlights programmes and limited coverage of the final.

Still remember old Ray as a familiar figure in the 1980s though, and John Virgo's impressions of him.

RIP
    I’m fairly sure Pot Black was designed as a fairly cheap way to show off/ create colour television and accidentally made household names out of snooker players and the game moved from pubs to halls. Ray was one of that generation when we all knew the names of about five snooker players. I’m sure I remember him on Parkinson armed with many anecdotes. 
    RIP.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9837
    Absolute legend. Watch this short clip.

https://youtu.be/qM68LB2c9No?si=4m6-XLCM1Fo2wcFq
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom