Catch & Release

What's Hot
Josh_CoskuJosh_Cosku Frets: 190
edited July 23 in Guitar
I just recently heard this term used for guitar buying/selling behaviour and it made me feel really good. 

I always put lots of stress to myself about managing my GAS or feeling guilty after buying a new guitar. Or when my opinion changes about one of my guitars, saying "this is it, keeper" when I just got them but I ended up selling after 6 months. I wanted to have a life-time bond with 2-3 guitars and stop looking out.

I am thinking slightly differently now. I buy guitars and play them at home, rehearsal, gigs if possible and I am getting to know them by spending a good decent time. Eventually, I let them go to find/fund the next ones.  This is still ok. 

I think I am not going to find "the one", it doesn't exist for me. This idea started to become ok for me now which was not in the past. I am a catch & release guy  

May I ask, do you really have a guitar which you can call "the one"?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6912
    I dont think there is a 'one' in the same way theres probably no single one partner for a human. Theres an ideal but theres millions we will never meet (guitars) that could be epic or more suited and we will never know it.. 

That being said if you find one that ticks all the boxes and brings joy and is nice to play and works, why bother keep looking, may as well just count it as the one. 

But gas.. lol.
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15020
    tFB Trader
    Don't think there is a single answer to the above  that will fit all players - Style of music you play, especially if different styles - Fun, pro, semi-pro might come into play - Finances 

Your own needs and expectations - Even our own failings as a player 

The above comments is based on me speaking as both a player, plus various chats I've had for many years with many customers - I've always said that you don't get to know a guitar inside out after any 30 min test drive - Be it at home or in a store - But many times, I can dismiss a guitar as not suitable within 10/20 seconds - And that is often just an un-plugged/acoustic test, as the feel is instantly not me -  I feel that 1 guitar or 10 guitars, is a matter of opinion 

Personally I like having different guitars - partly as I'm spoilt - Partly as I'm not sure if the one exists anyway - Partly as I like what different guitars bring to the table (I say partly, as in fact this is probably the biggest reason as to why I like more than one guitar) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 24203
    I just recently heard this term used for guitar buying/selling behaviour and it made me feel really good. 
    Funnily enough, I saw the expression "Catch & Release" for the first time ever yesterday.  It was on a thumbnail of a YouTube video by Five Watt World... I clicked on it but the bloke's droney American voice made me switch off after about thirty seconds.

I'm definitely not on a quest to find "one guitar to rule them all".  I'm not sure I ever was, I just liked buying guitars.  I was gradually going up the "most I've ever paid" ladder, and a couple of years ago I was looking at things like PJE, Huber, Anderson, Gibson Murphy Lab etc and thinking hmm, am I prepared to go £4k+...?  Now in 2024, just about everything is £4k+ but I'm quite sure I've got no intention of ever paying that much.  Which isn't to say I'll never buy another guitar, but now I'd be happy to drop back down to a much more modest price level.

So, I don't have "the one" but there are a few guitars I'd regard as "keepers" if I ever get off my backside and sell most of the others.  And I don't think the ones I'd keep are anything special, or even great examples of that particular model... I just like the look, the weight, the neck shapes.  They feel right.  I might change some parts or pickups, just for fun, but basically they're "good enough".
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7967
    edited July 23

This thread encouraged me to pick up my relatively* old Squier Affinity Jazzmaster, lightly modded with a Fender Vintage '65 pickup in the bridge and a hidden vol. pot to balance the neck vol (the original pickups are quite hot).

It's absolutely fine, and all the guitars I've bought since (another 28) are not dramatically better in terms of sound or playability.

Things like this do make me wonder why I bother  

"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • gatheredinsonggatheredinsong Frets: 697
    edited July 23
    Paul_C said:

This thread encouraged me to pick up my relatively* old Squier Affinity Jazzmaster, lightly modded with a Fender Vintage '65 pickup in the bridge and a hidden vol. pot to balance the neck vol (the original pickups are quite hot).

It's absolutely fine, and all the guitars I've bought since (another 28) are not dramatically better in terms of sound or playability.

You should try a telecaster perhaps?  
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • borntohangborntohang Frets: 215
    If I buy a guitar and play it for a year and then sell it for either the same or even slightly less then I'm happy. How much would it have cost me to rent that guitar for 12 months? Chances are I probably even made some gig money using that guitar, so I might still be coming out on top. Plus I got to own something fun for a while.

I don't really keep books of my guitar sales but I reckon I about break even if you don't look too hard - some stuff I've taken a hit and some stuff I've made twice what I had into, it so it's basically a wash in my eyes.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7967
    edited July 23
    Paul_C said:

You should try a telecaster perhaps?  

Telecasters are nice, but not £199 of Squier Affinity JM nice.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bluecatbluecat Frets: 616
    The one electric for me is my Harley Benton cabronita , it feels good, sounds good and looks good. I have more expensive guitars but this is my go to guitar.
    The one acoustic for me is my Tanglewood TW45 D L X .slightly modded with Martin Liquid Metal bridge pins, I have had that one 20 + years now.
    I don't think you have to spend a fortune to find the one.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11500
    bluecat said:
    But what about finding the two, the three, the four, etc.?
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 24203
    scrumhalf said:
    bluecat said:
    But what about finding the two, the three, the four, etc.?
    Small fortunes.

Not "a small fortune", I mean several actual small fortunes amounts.  Maybe.
  • LionAquaLooperLionAquaLooper Frets: 1429
    edited July 23
    Yes I have "the one.....

................of each type" 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2563
    Lots of things that I enjoy in a guitar are the opposite of lots of other things I enjoy in a guitar, so there will never be "the one" that does everything I want. 

I tend not to flip a lot of guitars though, most of what I have has been there for over a decade
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 2037
    This thread made me pick up my old fishing rod.*

* This is very possibly a euphemism.
  • Tall_martinTall_martin Frets: 239
    My first bass is still with me.

1978 mender music master bass night when I was 14.

A friend persuaded me not to sell it when we were still at school, and I didn't sell it when I was about move to the USA to marry a girl. Lucky as she was a numpty.
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2291
    I've had 4 or 5 electrics for approx 15 years. I've tended to trade or sell around the 10 year mark. The current 5 were bought 04 08 18 18 24. The oldest is my les Paul and I've looked to sell it in 13 and 23 but couldn't find anything better. 

I like having 5 different guitars instead of the one. When I get bored I play another. I played one guitar a lot last year. Now it's the most recent one.

The sweetspot for me is a well built expensive model from the usual suspects. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5147
    My first bass is still with me.
    Did you catch it on a lure or bait, and why didn’t you release it?
    260+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2193
    I try not to get too attached to a guitar.

I have a strat which ticks all my strat boxes. 

A nice tokai semi which tickes the 335 box. 

My perennial SG which I did think about selling recently. The price I was offered wasnt enough to persuade me, it's worth more for sentimental reasons.

A jet tele which is tuned specifically for Hey you by floyd. I've changed the hardware and that's a good n enough tele for me.

A strat partsacaster which was more a learning curve, that'll be a back up for my blue one.

Finally a black tokai les paul which i need to sort the wiring out on. 

I tend not to buy that many guitars. Just don't have the room, and I'd rather have a few decent ones. The eternal question of one to rule them all does pop up now and then. However they do all sound different.

I struggled to play reggae convincingly for years. It was only until I got a tele. I discovered the sound of the bridge pickup, is the perfect sound. 
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3201
    Whilst there are electric acoustic and bass guitars there will never be the one guitar which ticks all boxes, may as well give in now and buy what you like.

i do at times feel guilty about guitars in our collection which haven’t been played for 6 months or so sometimes. 
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3766
    I could never be a "catch and release" type of person. 

Mainly because I love buying guitars but find selling them very tiresome indeed. 
  • RevolutionsRevolutions Frets: 429
    Catch & release has always been my approach & it’s allowed me to try so many guitars that I’ve pined after.

As a lefty, guitars are rarely in shops. 2nd hand models, even rare ones, tended to either be priced well above market value, or below. The latter was brilliant for the chance to try them & flip them to break even.

All was going great until my appetite for expensive guitars grew. The bottom has fallen out from the used market so I’ve found myself with 5 niche/expensive guitars that I couldn’t shift even at silly low prices. Luckily I’m not desperate to sell, although they are taking up space in my one bedroom flat.

Keepers is fun. I’ve had so many I’d never sell, and I don’t have any of them. Which is a shame. But such is life. 

One guitar I’ve probably kept longer than any other is my squier CV Tele. I bought it super cheap around 2012 after selling my USA Tele. Never could a guitar have given me better value for money. It sounds beautiful, done tones of gigs & recording, and cost me about £100. Dodgy rattle can respray has made it virtually worthless so it’s kinda stuck with me.