Off to Cromer next week

What's Hot
Not really been to that part of the world... are there any "must do's" around there?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19797
    Get crabs.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • S56035S56035 Frets: 1278
    edited July 24
    <ADMIN EDIT: Removed, pending admin discussion>
  • RevolutionsRevolutions Frets: 429
    Burn stuff.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1801
    We stayed at Cromer country club in January and had a great time walking along the beach. Nothing else particularly apart from a beautiful coast.
    There’s a Banksy there to look at apparently too!
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • We plan on pottering about. I've heard Holkham Hall is nice, so might have a look there too. It's a free stay at a friend's holiday home, so whatever happens it's a nice rest!
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15985
    Been years (decades really) since I was there, but I recall it being really nice. The pier etc. And yes, get some crabs, it's famous for them. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6220
    If old houses are your thing, then Blickling Hall is well worth a visit. Stunning house and gardens and childhood home of Anne Boleyn.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5494
    Depends what you like doing.

Blickling, Holkham, Hoveton, Felbrig all have houses and places to walk around.

Holkham, Wells and Happisburgh for big sandy beaches. 

Pensthorpe for wildlife park.

Blakeney to Cley for seals, coastal walk.

Sheringham Park for mixed walk and down to Waveney for the steam train.

East Ruston Old Vicarage for interesting gardens.

Pretty Corner and Bacton Woods for woodland walks.

Norwich for city stuff.
  • PennPenn Frets: 697
    Good sea wall in Cromer. 
  • Rob1742Rob1742 Frets: 1087
    I’ve got a place over there, and I can’t think of anything which is a little worrying. 
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12687
    edited July 25
    There’s. nature boat trip daily on hickling broad which is great and was very cheap although I’ve not been in years. You have to book in advance though and may already be full at this short notice. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28141
    No 1 Fish & Chips!! 

Great regular chippy but also does exceptional gluten free for those who needs and there’s a posher sit-down restraint upstairs that’s ace. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16550
    It's quite nice. Found it oddly hard to find any Cromer crabs, might be seasonal. We also didn't see the goats although apparently they have now retired (the local council employed a team of goats to trim the verges). Chip shops and ice cream, crazy golf,etc. A British seaside town that isn't run down and depressing. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15020
    tFB Trader
    A tad further up the coast, but my Grandad use to work in Sheringham in the 1930's in the summer months as a pro- musician - Played 3 times a day/days a week - afternoon tea - dinner music and evening dance 

My mum and dad had their honeymoon around that neck of the woods - They tell the story of a visit to Wells to look at the cathedral - ooops - wrong Wells
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12895
    I was brought up in Norfolk and head back to Cromer every year with three old school buddies.  @Snags got many of the places of interest.  The Red Lion on Cromer seafront by the pier is our default place to stay - super food, nice bar, great rooms.  Great walks in either direction along the coast.  Holkham beach is one of the finest on the UK - but beware the incoming tides.  The  Victoria is worth a visit when you're there too - it's on the Holkham estate.  Blakeney is lovely with a great walk across the salt marshes to Cley-Next-the-Sea where you can have a couple of pints of Aspalls at The George & Dragon.   Stiffkey (pronounced 'Stookey') is pretty and the Red Lion was decent when I last visited.  Wells-Next-the Sea is also pretty (especially down by the harbour), but don't expect to hear many Norfolk accents.  We call it Crouch-End-next-the-Sea...

Anyway, couple of pics of Cromer.  As they say in those parts, hev yew a gud toime moi maaaaan!

Oh - did someone say Banksy?

C2.jpg 649.4K
    C3.jpg 825.4K
    C4.jpg 1.3M
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    A tad further up the coast, but my Grandad use to work in Sheringham in the 1930's in the summer months as a pro- musician - Played 3 times a day/days a week - afternoon tea - dinner music and evening dance 

Ah-ha - do you know where Mark?  There used to be an outside venue called The Mo which was next to The Crown pub.  Sadly it's been replaced by The Sheringham Museum (but The Crown is still there, I can attest!)
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5494
    @Offset so, tell him how to pronounce Stiffkey but not Happisburgh, eh?
    Snags said:
    @Offset so, tell him how to pronounce Stiffkey but not Happisburgh, eh?
    ...or Wymondham :-)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 3036
    tFB Trader
    Up the road not far away is the Muckleburgh Collection, if you like tanks and mil vehicle type stuff. muckleburgh.co.uk