Flippers…(not the Dolphin kind)

What's Hot
jacksonunitedjacksonunited Frets: 277
edited July 26 in Guitar
Now when selling things, we all know they could well and truly be flipped but a sale is a sale yada yada 

However, this one is extra special 

I sold this Custom Shop Strat to a guy on Facebook for £2300. The guy was desperate for it, being a big Mike McCready fan like myself. After low balling me for a deal, I agreed to let him have it as it was his dream guitar (plus it was a Friday so I was in a good mood). 

Now, a couple of weeks on he’s flipping it for £3500 AND using my photos! I’m not sure if I’m angry or flattered 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/166885605673

However, I take comfort in the fact it came from the same home as the DGT with the melting finish (thread on here) and stank so badly of cigarette smoke, I  had to keep it in the garden for a few days to avoid a divorce. The original owner also added to the relic job I hear, so ha. 

Irritating all the same 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DumodalDumodal Frets: 535
    I hate when they come with a sob story, it's ok to haggle a little but at least be straightforward about it, to be honest knowing how bad the market is, I doubt he will sell it for that price or near that price.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2617
    Wonder how much he paid for the... "Cooper Discoverer Att 265/60/18 All Terrain Tyre"
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7892
    It would be entertaining if a bunch of people all got in touch to point out the same 'obvious' things that revealed this wasn't a real CS and waited for him to try to flip it back on you in a panic. But nobody would be that mean. 
    Red ones are better. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TDubsTDubs Frets: 726
    Wonder how much he paid for the... "Cooper Discoverer Att 265/60/18 All Terrain Tyre"
    That’s for all the tyre kickers that are going to turn up to his house and say ‘how much?’ when they se the asking price 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 24203
    Dunno, but I'm sure he'd desperately wanted one for his entire life up to that point.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BobHillmanBobHillman Frets: 240

Or, more importantly, why is there only one - for an off-road wheelbarrow, perhaps?
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 1030
    Nice photos!
  • bluecatbluecat Frets: 616
    If you were happy to sell for £2300. Then don't worry, it is his now. He will more than likely come unstuck trying to sell it for the money he wants.
    There are some real Bumtwistlers out there. They should be shot with shite at dawn.
  • jacksonunitedjacksonunited Frets: 277
    duotone said:
    Nice photos!
    Feel free to use them, everyone else does 
    14reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5147
    I was quite tempted to buy this guitar when you advertised it on Facebook, except I’m wary of dealing with people on Facebook when I don’t know them at all. I don’t why you didn’t advertise it on here tbh.
    260+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 7068
    edited 6:11AM
    I once had someone tell me they were at film school and a poor student so could they buy my camera for like a tenth of what it's up for?

I was like 'mofo if you can afford film school...'. 

I hate these people so much. They are like slum landlords, taking affordable things off the market from people who really wanted them and stopping people from having access to them unless they pay a large markup for no added value whatsoever. 

Blah blah blah it's a free country etc. Blah blah capitalism yadda yadda. I don't care. It's parasitical. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11309
    tFB Trader
    My rules of selling personal second hand guitars: 

1. Unless you specifically know the buyer personally they are almost certainly a dishonest chiselling Cnut who probably has three 'granny's funerals' a year to get one over on their boss, is two timing their wife and kicks their dog (or possibly visa versa). 

2. Lo balling makes me wet me strides ... bring it on ... you will be told to go forth and reproduce in jerky movements like all the other no hopers. 

3. I never get emotionally attached to guitars ... if I do I keep them. Emotion should never be involved with selling your gear. 

4. So long as you pay me what I ask then you can say the guitar belonged to Nigel Tufnel and charge a million pounds for it, use my photographs - and I won't give a shit - it's your property now and life's to short to get bent out of shape about 'things'. 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2275
    £3500 for a 13y old CS Strat in the current market is extremely optimistic
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11309
    tFB Trader
    Fishboy7 said:
    £3500 for a 13y old CS Strat in the current market is extremely optimistic
    The thing is ... if he gets it ... good luck to him. It's entirely his property to be optimistic with. 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 4101
    Should ask him for a photo of the guitar next to today’s newspaper to prove its real, but really just to make him go through the process of taking the photo and uploading it.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15020
    tFB Trader
    Nothing wrong with the simple rules of capitalism - Buy for a £1 and sell for £2 - And I'm a proud capitalist pig

The issue is when they come to buy it from you with all the associated sob stories - By all means if you feel £2300 is a tad optimistic to buy it, then maybe suggest, that as a dealer, £2200 might be more akin to your thought pattern - But no need for the sob stories and/or bull shit - Be up front and honest about why your offer is £2200 

With that spec, after viewing it on e-bay, I'd say £2200/2300 is a good price for a dealer and would attract a potential selling price in excess of £3k - Regular p/ups and not hand wound plus slimmer frets are maybe its only negatives, to attract a bigger price - The additional 'relic' wear n tear would need to be examined, in the flesh, before I could comment on any +ve or -ve factors with regards to the price - It is a factory heavy relic so on the pics alone it doesn't look OTT, but would need to see if any additional wear is genuine or 'hacked' 
  • victorludorumvictorludorum Frets: 1101
    It says £4,200 on the ad now. Is it the same guitar?
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 24203
    edited 10:43AM
    It says £4,200 on the ad now. Is it the same guitar?
    Still says £3,500 when I look at it.  Seems like your eBay view is adding 20% VAT...?
  • razorbillrazorbill Frets: 86
    That’s frustrating, but you kind of just have to close your mind to it and move on. I think your point of frustration was giving into the lowball and not getting the price you were happy with in the first place. 

I pretty much refuse to deal with in-person haggling unless there is something wrong found with the guitar that would subtract from the price, or at least set an absolute bottom price ahead of time. Almost every time I gave in I undersold the guitar and regretted it…and it’s more often than not the hagglers that quickly flip
  • JJ72JJ72 Frets: 67
    Don't know much about these things and know that the pictures aren't copyrighted but can you stop him/then using your pictures and make them upload their own?