Broken headstock repair - Scotland

What's Hot

Comments

• Dan_HalenDan_Halen Frets: 1681
    WezV said:
    That will go back together well and shouldnt need any additional splnts or backstraps.. just a glue and touch up.   Shouldn't be too noticeable with that finish either since it's nice and dark

I doubt the guitar will be much different after.   Some claim they get better after a break.  This a bit far, but there is no reason to expect it to be worse if repaired professionally 
    That's really useful to know cheers.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11968
    edited July 30 tFB Trader
    Id suggest Chris McIntyre guitars in Edinburgh as others have, but we would be happy to look after it as well , but then you have the hassle and extra cost of shipping it and ensuring that it is safely packed to get to us safely and so we can return it safely too.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

Id suggest Chris McIntyre guitars in Edinburgh as others have, but we would be happy to look after it as well , but then you have the hassle and extra cost of shipping it and ensuring that it is safely packed to get to us safely and so we can return it safely too.
    Cheers, appreciated! You were the first I thought of and I'd absolutely be heading your way if it wasn't for having to ship it the length of the country. I've messaged the Guitar Workshop to see what they say and will speak to Chris as well as I can drive to both, but if it's not going well there I'll be in touch.
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12657
    On the plus side it looks like a good long break, plenty to stick together. 
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • RoundwoundRoundwound Frets: 286
    David Anthony Reid is based in Scotland (Perth) now and could also be a good shout. Usually has a shorter waiting time due to location and not being as well known locally. https://www.darluthier.com/
  • Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1316
    Just to try and cheer you up, did this to one of my Les Paul’s a few years ago. It didn’t have any negative effects on the guitar at all. I’m sure your Maybach will still sound and feel great when it’s fixed. 
    Thanks again for all the suggestions and the positive comments chaps! Hoping as well that because the break is not in the ‘playing zone’ and it’s pretty clean it’s going to be fairly straightforward. I’ll put some pics up and update when I get it back in due course.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fendermadlewisfendermadlewis Frets: 671
    edited August 1
    As @Roundwound suggested, I've used David Anthony Read before (he was perth based, but I've been living in England for a long time so he might have moved). Absolute meticulous work..
    Guitar dealer and G.A.S merchant by day: www.vibrocaster.com 
      Blues/rock singer & guitarist by night: www.alexhamiltonguitar.com

• KoaKoa Frets: 123
    https://www.markburnetguitars.co.uk/ another option based in East Lothian near Edinburgh 
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1540
    Out of curiosity, with a neck break like that, does the wood "lose" something when it is glued back together? e.g. lose a bit of strength through the neck as it is not one piece of wood anymore, though I would imagine a lot of entry level guitars don't have one piece necks and work just fine. The glue must be REALLY strong then to keep it all in place?
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7342
    tFB Trader
    The glue join is generally stronger than the wood.

I repaired a Les Paul Firebrand *THREE times. Each time it broke in a different place, not along the join.

*A guy bought it broken from eBay (it had belonged to a big indie band whose name escapes me) to give to his nephew. I think it was a case of easy come, easy go for the kid who absolutely trashed it.
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4318
    I have 100% faith in Ian Dickinson at Guitar Workshop Glasgow. Have been going there since they originally opened, with all manner of guitars for repairs, refrets, everything. Never had a bad experience, always wants to do the absolute best job possible, open minded as to the best approach, no arrogance thinking that his way is the only way (like many others I have experienced in the past). Really a top guy all round.
  • JodyJamesJodyJames Frets: 41
    CloudNine said:
    I have 100% faith in Ian Dickinson at Guitar Workshop Glasgow. Have been going there since they originally opened, with all manner of guitars for repairs, refrets, everything. Never had a bad experience, always wants to do the absolute best job possible, open minded as to the best approach, no arrogance thinking that his way is the only way (like many others I have experienced in the past). Really a top guy all round.
    +1, exactly my experience. Also, as a (very) novice dabbler in repairs myself, he's very generous with knowledge and general encouragement.
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3527
    I’ve seen a repair done by David A R -and can only say if it’s representative of his finish work, run away as fast as you can. Woodwork looked fine but the paint job was horrific.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17470
    I’ve seen a repair done by David A R -and can only say if it’s representative of his finish work, run away as fast as you can. Woodwork looked fine but the paint job was horrific.
    Was it a repair you had done, or one for someone else?

Most will offer a choice whether to just do a reglue without any finish work,  do minor touch ups to blend in the repair without fully hiding it, or attempt to fully hide it

often the 3rd option involved a full neck refinish, burst or stringer adding to the area and actually makes it more obvious

Just to play devils advocate, making it fully clear I haven't seen the repair you are referencing,  the results of headstock break finish work often depend on what the customer was willing to pay for as much as the actual skill of the repairer
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17470
    edited August 1
    Out of curiosity, with a neck break like that, does the wood "lose" something when it is glued back together? e.g. lose a bit of strength through the neck as it is not one piece of wood anymore, though I would imagine a lot of entry level guitars don't have one piece necks and work just fine. The glue must be REALLY strong then to keep it all in place?
    If its broken because of a specific weakness, then it is arguably better once re-glued, at least from a structural point of view. 

But as Steve's example demonstrates, the weakness can still be there in the surrounding area.  Once re-glued it's no worse, but not necessarily better.

In this example it's the sort of accident that would damage a well constructed neck without any inherent weakness, so no reason to think it will be better or worse after the fix

• Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3527
    WezV said:
    Was it a repair you had done, or one for someone else?

Most will offer a choice whether to just do a reglue without any finish work,  do minor touch ups to blend in the repair without fully hiding it, or attempt to fully hide it

often the 3rd option involved a full neck refinish, burst or stringer adding to the area and actually makes it more obvious

Just to play devils advocate, making it fully clear I haven't seen the repair you are referencing,  the results of headstock break finish work often depend on what the customer was willing to pay for as much as the actual skill of the repairer
    It was a repair done for someone else, where a repair at nut and heel on a natural finished guitar had attempted to be covered up with colour, for some reason. 

You’re right though. We should not tar the repairer for this, not having been privy to the details / instructions. 
  • StuartMac290StuartMac290 Frets: 1550
    CloudNine said:
    Precisely this. A really good guy doing great work.
    It's off to the Guitar Workshop in Glasgow in the morning who have seen the photos and seem to think it should be pretty straightforward. They got back to me right away so going to head over there tomorrow and probably have a mooch round the guitar shops whilst I'm in town. If they're good enough for you guys then good enough for me  =)
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 2155
    Dan_Halen said:
    It's off to the Guitar Workshop in Glasgow in the morning who have seen the photos and seem to think it should be pretty straightforward. They got back to me right away so going to head over there tomorrow and probably have a mooch round the guitar shops whilst I'm in town. If they're good enough for you guys then good enough for me  =)
    Merchant City is a good Glasgow based shop based on online purchases I've had from there. To mooch around at.