Suhr Hedgehog - maybe the wait is over?

What's Hot

Comments

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11730
    edited October 2014 tFB Trader
    I think Alexanders Dumble's problem was that he didn't have enough lattice in his diet

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • darcymdarcym Frets: 1303
    edited October 2014
    --edit-- poor input, removed to not remove from good discussion thread.

• hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2369
    @darcym - not sure if you meant to post a link, but its not come through. If you're adding from a mobile device, I've found that you need to add a carriage return after a URL for it to appear in the post
  • 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I'll be interested to try one. I've never played through an amp of this style before.

I'm not sure that the current style I have will sound any good with this sort of voicing, but then again, perhaps it will add a new feel to what I play, or I'd learn to play different things? 

As you can tell, this has got me quite intrigued.

• ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7506
    edited October 2014
    I love the look of the cab, and think the two together have a killer impact. Just opinion isn't it?

The cab with the Corso would look nice too thinking about it. Not that I need to think about it. I would marry these in a second and Mrs Hubobulous would only get a look in by nailing an SG worth of Mahogany to her forehead :-)
    Yeah, I just think it looks really minging, like a really, really tacky attempt at classy.  But with a gross grill cloth. And the cab has piping, but the head doesn't so they don't quite look the right kind of minging together...

Yuk!

Actually, now I'm looking again and... I think the whole thing looks a bit grim.  But if it does blackfacey sounds, it has a sound some folk like, and the presets function is genuinely useful (depending on how well it's implemented, of course). 

And I'm sure some folk will love the looks - all down to taste.  I find purple tolex rather fetching, but I'm guessing you don't see it very often for a reason :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CatthanCatthan Frets: 367
    Sounds like a Suhr...
    raspy high Mids which to me sound shit but sit better in the mix than most amps I've tried..
    I admit I am a suhr fanboy, but I just can't play the amps without a band backing me up.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  •   
    Catthan said:
    Sounds like a Suhr...
    raspy high Mids which to me sound shit but sit better in the mix than most amps I've tried..
    I admit I am a suhr fanboy, but I just can't play the amps without a band backing me up.
    Actually, I thought it sounded nice.  Although I'm a bit sick of hearing that tone being used for fusiony style licks, he does play a few chords at the start and it's a nice sound. :)
  • CatthanCatthan Frets: 367
    edited October 2014
    ^^^
    yeah, "shit" may have been an exaggeration.. 
    I think Suhr has a very practical idea about how an amp should sound to sit well in the mix, possibly after working closely with all these pros and sticking his hands into some "Grail" amps. 
    actually the marketing blurb for the hand wired amps a few years ago was iirc smth like "this amp is for the serious pro who will utilize it as such and such"

Having played a few, listened to all and after owning a Badger, I always found all had this raspy edge in the high mids. Lovely and most effective at gig volumes but fizzy at home volumes. You can obviously dial this out and the OD series had very effective master volumes apparently, but Imho it was a bit of a compromise compared to the amps' actual potential.

That's not unique to Suhr amps though. I'd guess most loud amps come together when cranked but to my intolerant-to-raspy-mids ears  I prefer the Mesas/ Boogie marks which are more low mid-heavy and sound sweeter, albeit a bit undefined at lower volumes. Similar wattage levels you may say but I prefer amps with a smaller footprint too, plus the darker inherent (I think) voicing suits me better.
    The one time I recorded with the Badger my mates said gtr sounded "pro" EQ-wise. The LSS and the MkV I play now have a different kind of magic admittedly but putting them right in the mix takes some tweaking.
    But I don't have to fight them at lower volumes and that's a compromise I can live with personally.

After owning Suhr gear for the last 4 years I'd be happy to own a Sugr amp over anything else in terms of how much faith I have in their products. It just happened that currently the MkV ticked the boxes.
    when and if they do the badger-sized 40-50W OD/ PT-type channel-switcher they were about to do before they churned out the PT LE instead, you may see my MkV in the classifieds.
    The fact that most Suhr demos are either EVH- driven of fusion-y does not do the amps justice but I'm getting the impression that it's a market group the company strives to satisfy
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    I'm waiting for the Suhr Lancelot the Suhr Galahad and of course the bass amp with big bottom end, the Suhr Mixalot
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    My inbox today tells me that indeed the wait is over. Now shipping and teaser video on the Suhr Hedgehog page.

Huzzah :-)
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12049

Midi implementation is clever, that could mean the end of pedals for some.  I guess if you can get all the dirt you want from the amp, selling off some pedals to fund this, £2.5k starts to make some sense.

Tone wise, I don't find it that enticing, much prefer the Bogner flavour.  Thou i am impartial to the wood, I think it looks good but I can also see that it will date really quickly, like some stuff from the 70's.

I was born in the 70s so it might age perfectly with me ;-)
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8572
    edited January 2015
    I think it looks great, would love to hear one, bet it sounds awesome. Are you going for one @hubobulous?

Only thing is, I struggle to think of a less rock 'n' roll name for an amp than Hedgehog, think I'll wait for the Suhr CareBear.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I want to try one out when they hit the UK shores. I'll also compare it against my Badger 30 and the SL67 just to hear the differences next to each other.

I need to sell some kit first, so not really in a rush to buy, but I really like the MIDI functionality with this and don't see it as a replacement for the Badger, but something else to incorporate into different situations.

Obviously I might not like it at all, though from what I've seen and heard so far, I think its a great tone.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7350
    I love the Suhr Beatrix Potter range...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    This is a good amp - but the bottom line is, it's been too long coming (announced a long time ago) and for an amp of that style, quality and price it needs to have a quality spring reverb on board.

I was really looking forward to this amp, and I'll certainly still be trying it, but the buzz over it has gone as other amps can do what this can (apart from the nice midi idea)
  • AndyJPAndyJP Frets: 221
    edited January 2015
    Just watched the new suhr vid:

Unsure about it to be honest. A little underwhelmed by it. What do you guys think? 
  • darcymdarcym Frets: 1303
    this is the problem, 4 years ago when this was first announced, the options for this style of amp where very few, and the ones that existed where very pricey.

4 years later there are a lot more options including cheaper and more expensive amps.

This now looks like a "good amp" with tipping into the expensive price bracket but without a lot of the features of the other expensive amps - but adding one cool midi setup.

I'm certainly going to be trying one, but it looks a "good amp" where as 3 years ago it would have been a great amp as the options where fewer.
  • AndyJPAndyJP Frets: 221
    I just thought it sounded a little bland.