Sunbeds for SAD?

What's Hot
It's that time of year again... My gym has sunbeds that you can use, and I'm wondering if it would be worth trying them out. It would help m vitamin D levels too, which I've had an issue with. 

Has anybody with the same problem tried it? I'm thinking a blast of UV followed by some cardio in the morning might set me up for the day.
My V key is broken
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3299
    I've got SAD too, but can't use sunbeds for dermatological reasons. I used to use a Sunrise Alarm and that really helped, have a look for one as they're fairly good value.
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    I'm wary of using sun beds to combat my SAD, mild as it is. Does it work, though?

• equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6244
    I suffer from SAD too and use a SAD light that Maplin sell for only £50.
    I find it works very well.

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    edited November 2014

I've got ginger hair so I am genetically superior.

Erm. Apart from in summer....and in Australia where I am genetically inferior.

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1533
    I used my sisters sun bed years ago. I used to come home from work, put the sounds on ,set the timer and doze off. I loved it. on a parr with the smell of the sunday chicken in the oven.
    I got quite hooked and forgot about the tanning malarky. Then after about a week i met up with a few mates for a pint and they took the piss out of me because i was "a big fanny who had been on the sunbeds". So I would say if you like the smell of chicken and resemble a fanny! go for it.
    ps, In moderation i think it will help your mood on your darkest days.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Cardio, definitely. Sunbeds I'm less convinced by.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Lumie.com
  • I think the balance is dependent on how depressing you find the thought of skin cancer.

In all seriousness I have done a fair bit of reading on it and sunbeds are really not recommended.  I had light therapy and am prescribed vitamin D.  This year I intended to buy a lamp but have been reading that there is strong debate about the effectiveness of light therapy and how much of it's benefits are psychosomatic.   I am now at a point where I am tending to believe that that the brightness and glow on my face is yes probably lifting my mood by ultimately not tackling the issue. Now if I could just tackle these autumnal cluster headaches......

I think by both getting out and exercising you are doing the two most positive thing you can towards combatting it.

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Yeah I'd just been reading some biased stuff. I don't want to risk it. I can't really afford to get a lightbox which I can't be sure will work, so first off I'm trying to sort my sleeping pattern, and go to and get out of bed earlier. Then exercise.

It's really bad this week, coupled with massive anxiety. I'm going to knock caffeine on the head and see the doctor to up my dose of anti-depressants. I really don't want to fuck up uni.
    My V key is broken
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    Wisdom for Drew. Exercise will be a big help, I'd throw in a healthy diet too.

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

• JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1533
    edited November 2014
    I have skin cancer. I no longer sit in the sun or go out without a cap on. I have 3 monthly check ups and have had numerous tumors(basal cell) removed all from my nugget.
    They wreckon it can be caused from exposure to the sun from a very early age. I noticed at 44 i was about 20 to 30 years younger than most other patients though it is increasing amongst the yoofs.. Use high factor cream and wear a cap in the sun. Mine isnt life threatening but disfiguring. Im not quite the phantom of the opera yet but give it time! dern!  den den den derrn!!!! As has been said Exercise and food = Mood. Watch your diet,  maybe dont watch the news!  infact get a copy of that tune sun screen its hilarious iirc.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Don't underestimate the serotonin boost that a chocolate bar and a good wank can give you either.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24878

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• SRichSRich Frets: 764
    ...........and here I am looking forward to a Double Decker...........  ;)

"There's things I want, there's things I think I want 
    There's things I've had, there's things I wanna have" 

One Decker is enough, never mind two of them.

• holnrew said:

It's really bad this week, coupled with massive anxiety. I'm going to knock caffeine on the head and see the doctor to up my dose of anti-depressants. I really don't want to fuck up uni.
    Holn, what are you currently on? 20mg?
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    holnrew said:

Holn, what are you currently on? 20mg?
    The anti-depressants? 75mg venlafaxine
    My V key is broken
    Wait a minute, I thought SAD stood for Serious Alcohol Deficiency.

• GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4071
    I take a note of my mood daily (because sometimes I'm the last to know if things are slipping) :  I do a standard test and score the result.  Been doing it for 2.5 years.  And...

looking at the graph over that time you see my mood dip in November and it comes back up in February.  I was quite surprised to see the pattern.

I don't know if it's SAD or not but I really wanted to go somewhere sunny this month to see if it helped.  And although I'm off to Bournemouth soon I don't think that's gonna cut it.
    Margate?