Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

School me on muffs (heh)

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471

i cant comment on the gilmour tones...as i've never chased it...but for doom...i can lend my opinion.

first question is if you're playing at loud volumes or low...because at high volumes, most fuzz pedals will get there, with fuzz on low and volume on high. The things to look out for is mids, some fuzz pedals are too scooped and you sound rubbish, unless you have an amp that is really punchy in the mids. So, a loud plexi or jcm800 type amp with a muff will be fine (the majority of the eary desert rock bands did this). If you dont have an amp with punchy mids, then you need a fuzz that has good mids, otherwise you'll be washed out.

at low volumes i find its a bit trickier, because you need to find one that you like the type of fuzz from the pedal as you'll have the fuzz on full and volume to taste. for doomy stuff, at low volume you need a fuzz that not only has good amount of mids, but also a good amount of bottom end...thats not just a bass knob...i've tried some fuzz pedals that have full EQ but the bottom end is not there, it just doesnt sound full.

my recommendations are pedals like

BAT Pharaoh

BAT LSTR

BAT Ritual

OX Fuzz

EQD Hoof

Electric Hand Ape Blaster

Earthbound Audio Centurion (I think this is now called Acid Age)

Earthbound Audio Super Collider

Creepy Fingers Double Beast

Creepy Fingers doomy drive

also...Rat into Muff...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Gassage said:
    Gassage said:
    The closest I've got to the Gilmour muff sound is a Cornish P1 into a BK tube Driver into a Hiwatt. Much to my surprise it was quite close.
    I really think the Hiwatt is a big contributor to that sound. 
    I think his amps are the biggest shaper to his tone rather than gear choice.

Most fuzzes with big sustain into a hiwatt will get you there in my opinion 
    Yeah, there's some truth in that. However, I'd suggest it's more about an amp that loves pedals with loads of cleanness. A Twin just as good...
    having just moved from a twin after 12 years + of playing one I kind of agree. I do think the hiwatt sprinkles magic fairy dust onto the sound though and gets you there even more
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31046
    @meltedbuzzbox

It does. Funnily enough I just wound up both the Hiwatt and the Tweed Twin in stereo and it sounded glorious. I was using a lot of delay, not too much muff and od, and some mild flange for like a Wall type tone. The Tweed adds that little bit of breakup that's missing on the Hiwatt.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7181
    I have a load of different Muffs.

They all react slightly differently to guitar, amp and other effects.

So basically you are screwed with just one if like me you love a bit of fuzz. The problem for me is I now own everything from ICBM muffs to Skreddy P19 clones with BAT stuff and Muskets in between.

But then I love fucking around with my Muff pedals...
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31046
    BAT Muff is very very good- the G2 one anyway- best clone I've heard of PC's G2.

P19 also very good but higher rasp than the Bat.

Skreddy Lunar truly amazing- covers all.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    I wanna make a muff clone and call it the Shaven Haven.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • alalalkasar;408525" said:
    Moving away from the expensive boutique kind of gear doesn't Frusciante just use a bog standard v9 muff? Isn't that the same one as EHX makes now?
    He uses a muff.

Look at how many muffs exist! He used to use a Russian, has used an nyc (original or reissue? If original, which one?) and has used an English muff'n.

Which is a valve pedal...

I wouldn't buy a new ehx pedal because they're just poorly built. From experience - I own two, and looking inside, it's a decent pcb with cheap jacks and switch. :(
  • However, good effort chaps. The velvet or lunar module look good, I'll see what I get for my birthday and work out if I'd rather an od1x or a muff...
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    Drew_fx;408620" said:
    I wanna make a muff clone and call it the Shaven Haven.
    You don't even want a little hair when you turn up the gain?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • However, good effort chaps. The velvet or lunar module look good, I'll see what I get for my birthday and work out if I'd rather an od1x or a muff...
    The empress fuzz is worth a look and if you can find one a Mr Black Darling Fuzz. 

For funsies the Fuzz Factory is always good fun (if not a little mental). 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    The empress fuzz is worth a look and if you can find one a Mr Black Darling Fuzz. 

For funsies the Fuzz Factory is always good fun (if not a little mental). 
    I've owned a Fuzz Factory, briefly, but I spent far too much time making noises.  I have a new noise box now, so I'd best not... Although it was a stonkingly good fuzz pedal. 
  • check out the empress its like a muff with a shape-able eq. Its a great pedal (Everything Empress do generally is)
  • For a brilliant range of high quality muff pedals, check out stomp under foot. I have the stomp underfoot pi and it sounds huge!