Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

The drive pedal trap

What's Hot
DannyPDannyP Frets: 1689
Our young guitarists says to himself:

"I will buy a few drive pedals in an attempt to establish my perfect set-up. Once I have my ideal 2 pedals, I will permanently attach them to my board and sell the spares."

What then happens is that the 3 or 4 pedals get tried and tested in various combinations and stacking sequences. Many of these combinations have great merit. 

Yet more pedals are released/reissued/rediscovered leading to unbearable curiosity on behalf of our young hero, who can't help picking up a new drive pedal or 2. The number of possible combinations and sequences of pedals rapidly approaches infinity. 

Each time our guitarist feels that he may be ready to discard a pedal, he plugs it in for a final blast and finds one or 2 nice settings that he cannot do without.

Our guitarist's hoard of pedals always increases,his bank balance always decreases and he never gets any closer to his "perfect set-up".

Anyone else stuck in this trap?!?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    This is normal
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Sounds very familiar ;-)
  • It's largely because there are very few pedals that actually sound bad in the overdrive and distortion world.

So when you try the one you rejected because it "was lacking that hint of sparkle this one has", you'll realise it sounds really great anyway and that it could be used for...

So it's normal.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I've stopped buying drive pedals. 3 on the board is enough, one light, one heavy and a fuzz

It did take a lot of pedals to settle at that point though, 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    Calling @mike_l :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DannyPDannyP Frets: 1689
    I've stopped buying drive pedals. 3 on the board is enough, one light, one heavy and a fuzz

Yeah, that's what I use - I don't want any more than that on the board. The question is WHICH ONES!

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17853
    tFB Trader
    I've stopped buying drive pedals. 3 on the board is enough, one light, one heavy and a fuzz

I'm hoping I can settle on this too. 
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    mart said:
    Calling @mike_l :)

Why? I have no idea what the problem with having a shedload of dirty boxes is?

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Standard day in the life of a guitarist!
  • DannyPDannyP Frets: 1689
    edited November 2014
    eg. I don't do really high gain, but for my heavier drive, I recently went back to my Guv'nor after spells with a Hot Cake and an OCD, but then on Thursday night's gig, I just COULD NOT get the thing to sound decent for some reason.

And I'm thinking about putting the Hot Cake back on - but this time as my lighter overdrive, as I've found it's really sparkly and nice with everything at 12 O'clock. That would replace my Bluesbreaker, which I love, but recently I seem to have to dime the tone to get it bright enough. 

Maybe the Caline Crazy Cacti should get a run out?

And Fuzz? Don't get me started...

Endless headaches. And I still can't shake the idea that perfection may still be out there in pedals I don't yet own!
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    @DannyP try a Hardwire CM-2. Very similar to a Mk1 Guvnor, but different enough to be individual in it's own right. Also try MXR's. I love the MXR low-mid gain sounds.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    I had this problem and found my solution by buying a new amp and starting again from a basic but beautiful clean sound. It will also give some very natural sounding breakup when pushed however even on full tilt, rolling volume off on the guitar cleans it up without losing too much actual volume.
    So into my Fender Blues Junior III i now have a TU3 tuner (Inc. Buffer), a Weeping Demon Wah, A TC Spark Booster and a Zoom G3.

I have found that keeping the effects use to a minimum, gain lower and volume higher gives me a fantastic sound. For the first time in years i am really happy with my sound and the small board i have (Not actually mounted on a board yet but will be soon) is very easy to navigate and use properly.

I got caught on the pedal-roundabout for most of this year and i'm really glad to have got off it.
  • DannyP said:
    eg. I don't do really high gain, but for my heavier drive, I recently went back to my Guv'nor after spells with a Hot Cake and an OCD, but then on Thursday night's gig, I just COULD NOT get the thing to sound decent for some reason.

And I'm thinking about putting the Hot Cake back on - but this time as my lighter overdrive, as I've found it's really sparkly and nice with everything at 12 O'clock. That would replace my Bluesbreaker, which I love, but recently I seem to have to dime the tone to get it bright enough. 

Maybe the Caline Crazy Cacti should get a run out?

And Fuzz? Don't get me started...

Endless headaches. And I still can't shake the idea that perfection may still be out there in pedals I don't yet own!
    I recently removed my double hotcake from my board. I loved the blueberry side with low gain. Great and sparkly with good dynamics but the normal side was a big huge middy blanket (I understand it works great with an AC30 (which it was designed to do)).
    I tried a few things from the pedal cupboard but as always the nobels ODR came back out. 
    For the heavier dirt and fuzz sounds I use an Empress Multi drive. I can't recommend one enough. 

The 3 biggest things I have found that can cause doubt in my setup have been, guitar switching, different guitars do sound different (obviously) and it takes a while for your ear to settle with the new change (can happen if you have been listening to music before playing too). The same amp sounds different in new rooms or different places in the same room.
    The worst has been this forum though. Too many people plowing through pedals swearing that pedal X is the newest greatest hand crafted NOS true bypassed tone machine ete and it is way better than last months pedal x (Strymons as an example) and that you need to cover all tonal options etc. Sometimes it helps to take it all with a pinch of salt 

I think you can get some great sounds out of the guvnor and the hotcake, I wouldn't be in a hurry to replace them.
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    Somewhere there is the 'perfect' drive pedal, I just haven't found it yet.....................

Ooh look, another shiny one!
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Drive pedals are something I've just never gotten into. I've had a few sure, but they've always irritated me. Scratchy undynamic sounds that amps alone just piss all over.

Now amps... yes... gone round the block with those!
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12026
    it's not the destination, it's the journey.

Or something like that !
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12449
    Box of rock into a Weehbo JTM Drive, The BOR on crunch setting and the Weehbo on 3/4, then goose the bastard with the SHO on the BOR - MASSIVE
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1627
    Box of rock into a Weehbo JTM Drive, The BOR on crunch setting and the Weehbo on 3/4, then goose the bastard with the SHO on the BOR - MASSIVE
    this is the wisest comment in the history of wisdom. The Weehbo JTM, goosed with a boost. Astounding pedal.

• jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12449
    JohnPerry said:
    this is the wisest comment in the history of wisdom. The Weehbo JTM, goosed with a boost. Astounding pedal.
    It is indeed @JohnPerry Ive never played through a JTM 45 but love the Wheebo and the BOR
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1627
    playing mine through a Cornell 18/20 Plexi. Marriage made in heaven