Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Band Aid 30

What's Hot
I'd rather have Ebola, than listen to that again.
3reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I've not heard it yet, but the line up is shite.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12766
    I heard it for the first time this morning. I think the sentiment is noble. The application is terrible.

Lots of over-emotive vocal performances by people who I really don't care about (Guy Garvey is the exception) - really breath-y females who sound like they are just about to fake the 15th orgasm of the hour and male vocals making empassioned pleas, that just sound so false. The re-working of the lyrics *almost* fits the rhythm of the song.

But I can't help thinking, if the original song took 10 mins to write on the back of a packet of Cigs all those years ago... couldn't they have written something new for this... 
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I found it unlistenable, bad vocals by people I have no interest in on a fairly mediocre song ( it always was). I heard Sir Bob interviewed twice this morning and I was still unclear about what they were actually going to do with the money.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • TinLipTinLip Frets: 368
    The only thing I found worse than the song was having to listen to that self-righteous prick Geldof vomiting his pseudo-philanthropy all over Radio 4. Well done Humphries for cutting him off.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TinLipTinLip Frets: 368
    I found it unlistenable, bad vocals by people I have no interest in on a fairly mediocre song ( it always was). I heard Sir Bob interviewed twice this morning and I was still unclear about what they were actually going to do with the money.
    3 of the cast aren't even musicians. They are YouTube "stars". *spit*

• Heard it on the drive to work this morning. Totally rubbish. The problem with all these multi singer songs is that there's no flow to them. Soft breathy singer followed by some diva belting it out to steal the limelight, followed by bono.

I apologise to my ears.

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 16469
    thank god for celebrities. Do you lot not realise that there was an age when ordinary people didn't have wealthy individuals out there to lecture them and force them to feel guilty about the state of the world. In the good old days, the wealthy didn't concern themselves with whether the proles were feeling empathy for people the other side of the world, they just sat in their stately homes and planned their gardens. All the peasants had was religion and that was far from adequate.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • It's really easy to be cynical about this (and most other things) these days - we seem to consider cynicism an admirable quality now.

The first Band Aid record for me was a landmark in the Thatcher years - in that it showed vast numbers of people actually cared and that compassion was alive and well. The song may have been trite but the intention was noble - as I suspect was that of those who bought it.

In a country that seems ever more inward-looking - which (seemingly) widely supports UKIP's 'anti-foreigner' schtick - may be the time is right for another go?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

it's also really easy to make snarky comments about people being cynical. Thing is, I don't need to be lectured about how to live my life r what issues I should be feeling guilty about by people who live lives of extreme avarice and luxury. How many of those band aid celebs will be pictured in the coming weeks falling out of some "up market" night club somewhere?

It's like Chris Martin (who I believe is one of the new band aid mob), few years back when him and fishsticks had their first sprog, they got given a multi thousand dollar buggy, free of charge. When they were, conveniently pictured (with the makers logo very visible, handy that) sales of this buggy went through the roof. If he cared enough about the worlds poor, he could've said to the makers, why don't you donate the cost of that free buggy to charity or something. ut no, he pockets the goods then lectures us that the world is a shit place. We fucking know it's a shit place.

If maybe a few more people were a bit more fucking cynical about our these people who lord it over us, maybe the world wouldn't be such a shit place. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Zodiac51Zodiac51 Frets: 340
    TinLip said:

3 of the cast aren't even musicians. They are YouTube "stars". *spit*
    They've got Chappers on guitar?? :-O
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28389
    At the end of the day it is to raise money to help fight the current Ebola tragedy in West Africa. That trumps everything else. 

• Isnt the chorus "feed the world"? Are they proposing you can eat yourself better after contracting ebola?
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

MSF have been taking donations for months now. http://www.msf.org.uk/?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=brand%5Fx%5Fdoctors%2Dwithout%2Dborders%5Fn%5Fd&utm_content=brand%5Fx%5Fdoctors%2Dwithout%2Dborders%5Fx%5Fx%5Fexact&utm_term=doctors%20without%20borders

Barely a week has gone by without ebola being in the news. If there is anyone in the western world who is not aware of the ebola outbreak and the fact that MSF have been in the forefront of fighting this, then a catchy little tune by sung by some pampered little angels ain't gonna make much of a difference.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8563
    VimFuego;415236" said:
    it's also really easy to make snarky comments about people being cynical.
    Didn't read as being a snarky comment to me - seems like a fair point. Cynicism is too common when it comes to people trying to achieve some improvement in the world. If you don't agree with the sentiments of the (imo) shitty song or the motives of the people peddling it then you don't need to donate or feel bad about it, simple as that. But if the song does in fact do some good I don't see why it matters/ is relevant to a charitable cause that rich people have better lives than you, or why that's even a problem.

I'm going to make a charity single to get @VimFuego a free buggy. 
    :))
    can I have a new wheel barrow instead?

• CirrusCirrus Frets: 8563
    edited November 2014
    VimFuego said:
    can I have a new wheel barrow instead?
    No, we need it for the bodies.

Then Chris Martin has first dibs on it to carry his money to the bank.
    pfft, you know nothing. Chris Martin pays someone to carry his money for him.

• joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4026
    It supposedly raised over a million in 5 minutes... can't complain too much.

Still, I will go hell bent to avoid listening to it.  It was all downhill since Dizzee's SPARE A FOUGHT DIS ULE-TYME FOR DA DEPRIVED... days
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74399
    edited November 2014
    If you want to buy something that will make you feel good about helping the third world, buy Microsoft products. Bill Gates probably does more good through his foundation, fairly quietly and consistently, than these 'celebrities' ever achieve.

You also get something worth having.

And I say that as an Apple fan, by the way! (I do use MS Office for Mac.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuego;415236" said:
    it's also really easy to make snarky comments about people being cynical. Thing is, I don't need to be lectured about how to live my life r what issues I should be feeling guilty about by people who live lives of extreme avarice and luxury. How many of those band aid celebs will be pictured in the coming weeks falling out of some "up market" night club somewhere?
    Sorry you didn't like my post - but as its in aid of Ebola, I thought I'd better download it.

Unfortunately, my anti-virus software wouldn't let me....
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom