Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Espresso machines .....educate me!

What's Hot
So I'm a bit addicted to lattes at the moment and looking to save on cost by doing them at home!

Got about £150 to spend and was wondering if I can get a decent one at that price pointo!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17888
    tFB Trader
    We've got a Nespresso machine at work and it's just staggeringly good. All other coffee is just a disappointment.

It's expensive to buy the pods but worth it IMO.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Yeah I love my Nespresso. Pods are between 29p and 35p each, which doesn't seem too bad to me.
  • Nespresso are the best of the bunch, still no match for a Gaggia and learning how to use it though.
  • See, I was looking at the gaggia and was thinking "should I up my budget and go for a classic? Or is that too low level for a gaggia?
  • shaunyshaun1234;421305" said:
    See, I was looking at the gaggia and was thinking "should I up my budget and go for a classic? Or is that too low level for a gaggia?
    Classic is perfect Shaun, you can get official refurbs from gaggia for 149.00. The Espresso Pures are decent machines too, ABS instead of Metal and no 3 way solenoid valve like the Classic but if you can bag one cheapish then it's a worthwhile purchase.

The Classic or Baby Class are the ones to wish for tho.

tFB Trader
    strumjoughlamps;421299" said:
    Nespresso are the best of the bunch, still no match for a Gaggia and learning how to use it though.
    Not so sure.

Quite a few Michelin star restaurants use nespresso machines
  • I used to use an Aeropress, and yes, it's not espresso, but I love what it makes.

The thing I love about the Nespresso is that you can have so many different flavours on the go without worrying about them going off. Huge advantage for me.
  • strumjoughlamps;421314" said:
    [quote="shaunyshaun1234;421305"]See, I was looking at the gaggia and was thinking "should I up my budget and go for a classic? Or is that too low level for a gaggia?
    Classic is perfect Shaun, you can get official refurbs from gaggia for 149.00. The Espresso Pures are decent machines too, ABS instead of Metal and no 3 way solenoid valve like the Classic but if you can bag one cheapish then it's a worthwhile purchase.

The Classic or Baby Class are the ones to wish for tho.

[/quote]

Just had a look and the refurbs are £195 so that could well be the one to have a look at!

I think it's the whole process of making the coffee that adds to the experience if that makes sense!!
    tFB Trader

I think it's the whole process of making the coffee that adds to the experience if that makes sense!!
    I think that's an important element to your choice. 

I used to have a nice coffee maker that I got rid of because pissing about setting it up and then cleaning up all the mess afterwards meant that I never used it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • strumjoughlamps;421299" said:
    Nespresso are the best of the bunch, still no match for a Gaggia and learning how to use it though.
    Not so sure.

Quite a few Michelin star restaurants use nespresso machines

I am very sure; I have read  the popularity of Nespresso machines in high class restaurants, I have also read some of the chefs reasons why and them admitting that with a great barista, beans and machine then of course you will get a better coffee but it means money, and putting as much effort in their coffee making as they do in their food which is not something they want to do..

lets face it if dining out how many people choose to purchase a coffee at the end? so the whole barista expense gets cut and they use an acceptable auto machine and waitress for the odd few that do.. or a lot of the higher class dining you pay one price for the sitting so coffee is included so again an acceptable auto machine is fine..

you don't go to a great coffee shop for top notch food do you? same applies the other way.

tFB Trader
    But for the average bloke on the street (or at least me) it's virtually impossible to actually attain something as good as a Nespresso any other way. 

A mate of mine has got a KitchenAid machine and sources his beans properly and grinds them himself in an expensive grinder, but even that's a massive faff as a lot of the bean suppliers send you nasty dried up shitty beans and then if you don't drink a huge amount of coffee (which I don't) then they've gone past their best before you've used them up. So provided he's got some good fresh beans and you've got someone as practiced as him manning his £600 coffee machine then you get something which might be marginally better than what you can get out of a capsule with no bother. 

I worked in Milan for a while and everyone drinks espresso which is usually of a very high standard. I switched to drinking espresso after that, but I've been really disappointed to discover that none of the high street coffee chains, and virtually none of the restaurants I've been to are capable of a decent espresso. It's got to the point now where I've pretty much stopped drinking coffee as now I've had my eyes opened to what it tastes like when it's really good I can't take a lot of pleasure in crap coffee.
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3527
    I have a Lavazza machine and it's crapped out after 3 years. To be expected I guess. A new one will cost me less than £50 so it's alright I guess. I'd rank the coffee as good as Nespresso's, all my relatives having a Nespresso including in-laws, sister, mother, father so I've had a lot of Nespresso too!
  • I adore our KA Artisan mixer and use it daily so was obviously interested in the matching coffee machine but absolutely no one recommends it; boiler problems, inconsistent shots and premature failures.. I could've got one on offer for £450 and would have happily paid that and replaced the Gaggia but decided against, I was pretty gutted..

tell your mate to use Hasbean, you'll not get dried up nasty beans from them
    tFB Trader
    I adore our KA Artisan mixer and use it daily so was obviously interested in the matching coffee machine but absolutely no one recommends it; boiler problems, inconsistent shots and premature failures.. I could've got one on offer for £450 and would have happily paid that and replaced the Gaggia but decided against, I was pretty gutted..

tell your mate to use Hasbean, you'll not get dried up nasty beans from them
    Yeah his had a problem and got replaced, but now it's working it's pretty good.
  • Gaggia Classic or above = Fender USA Standard
    Nespresso = Squier Affinity.

Although if you're only drinking milkshakes lattes it may not matter too much. I've had my Gaggia Classic for close on 10 years now I suppose, never let me down.

Hasbean peddle shite organic hipster acidic lightly roasted tasteless crap. Try something like Happy Donkey's Classic Italian - not expensive but a world away from high street chains or supermarket beans. 

Yes I am a bit of a coffee snob. :)
  • thermionic;422158" said:

You hide it so well :D

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Gaggia Classic or above = Fender USA Standard
    Nespresso = Squier Affinity.

Although if you're only drinking milkshakes lattes it may not matter too much. I've had my Gaggia Classic for close on 10 years now I suppose, never let me down.

Hasbean peddle shite organic hipster acidic lightly roasted tasteless crap. Try something like Happy Donkey's Classic Italian - not expensive but a world away from high street chains or supermarket beans. 

this post is very funny and holds no credibility regarding the Hasbean comment, if you were a coffee snob then maybe James Gourmet could be on your list but Happy Donkey? fair enough if you are after a grinder but not coffee.. where will you recommend next...Whittard? :)

Union Hand Roasted are also good but can be inconsistent with roasts.. Hasbean are always consistent always good and pretty much just a step behind buying beans green and roasted them yourself.
  • I love the espresso out of my espresso jug you stick on the hob. OK a bit of a faf to setup but great coffee.
    Dirt cheap from IKEA as well.
    edited November 2014 tFB Trader
    thermionic;422158" said:
    Gaggia Classic or above = Fender USA StandardNespresso = Squier Affinity.

Have you actually tried a Nespresso?

I accept that with the exact right beans, machine, and person making it the fancy machine might be a bit better, but honestly the Nespresso machine I have at work takes a massive piss on the £100 Philips coffee machine I used to have along with anything I've had from a chain coffee store and most of my mates fancy machines. 

I should also note I only drink straight espresso or lungo and I've had coffee in some of the best coffee places in Milan so I'm not talking about "Milkshake Lates"

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    WTF is " lungo"? Sounds like some kind of disease of the genitalia.