So, these Fender Vaporizers

What's Hot
dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
Are they any good?

After being bullied by the missus into answering the question 'what do you want for Christmas?', I let slip that there were these Fender Vaporizers being knocked out at under 200 quid. She was very happy to hear this as she thinks they look nice (!).
However, before I let her spend money on me, I need to know about them. Anyone got one or spent time with one?

I'll be trying them next week, but would like some user views/ reviews before I actually hit the shops please.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• NeilNeil Frets: 3846
    I did ask the same question previously and the answers weren't that complimentary.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    Aha! Thanks @Neil. I missed that thread. Bit of a mixed reaction there.
  • yes, I asked similar too and there didn't see too much love for them. I saw one in the flesh recently and tbh I was a bit diassapointed. I think they look better in the ads than real life. havnt got a clue what they sound like tho

Well that's the problem, I think they look really good, but don't really want to get one and find it sounds shite!
  • someones suggested if you really like the look buy it and if its shit scoop out the electronics and replace with something else.
  • My mate tried one a couple of weeks back and was impressed, especially at £200.
    I wouldnt mind one tbh
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 32371
    The general consensus seems to be that they're a bit trashy sounding, but if it's not your only amp that's not necessarily a bad thing.
    They do get a lot of criticism, but they still look like cheap fun to me.
  • p90fool;444445" said:
    The general consensus seems to be that they're a bit trashy sounding, but if it's not your only amp that's not necessarily a bad thing.
    I fancy a slate grey one, according to my mate he thought they were ideal for punk/indy sounds.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31586
    p90fool;444445" said:
    I fancy a slate grey one, according to my mate he thought they were ideal for punk/indy sounds.
    See, I heard the green ones were better for indy, and grey ones were for death metal

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    I'd have a good look at the Excelsior. A friend of mine has one and it's ace - and that's just the normal version without the Eminence speaker upgrade. 
    i did nearly get an Excelsior a while back and of course regret not, as I have since heard many good things. They're a bit thin on the ground though.

I guess the thing to do will be to actually go try one, although I never feel like you can give an amp a proper seeing-to in a shop. 

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2460
    Bear in mind, the excelsiors had a bit of problems with QC. Mine rattled like mad- some seem to, but you might get lucky and get one that doesn't.

You need to have the volume up a bit and (IIRC) play a D chord.

I haven't tried the vaporisers.
  • Got mine ordered in slate grey from GG.
    Cant grumble for £199 and free post!!
    Got mine ordered in slate grey from GG.
    Cant grumble for £199 and free post!!
    Be interested to hear your thoughts when you get it. 
    Well I went out and tried one yesterday. I would have tried more, but didn't need to.
    I've been reading various reviews over the past week since asking the original question, and was prepared either for the worst or to be pleasantly surprised. Fortunately it was the latter. Even the much-vaunted hissy reverb was very quiet, The reverb does tend to disappear as you turn up the volume- apparently this is because it's placed before the power stage- but that's not a major issue. I tried it with a Jaguar in the shop and it had plenty of nice twang and shimmer. It's just a shame they didn't put a nice tremolo in the amp as well
    So 199 quid was handed over to a local guitar shop and, thanks to my lovely other half, from Thursday I will be the happy owner of a Surf Green Vaporizer. 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    dogload said:

So 199 quid was handed over to a local guitar shop and, thanks to my lovely other half, from Thursday I will be the happy owner of a Surf Green Vaporizer. 
    Great colour that. 
    Neil said:
    dogload said:

Great colour that. 

It was mentioned that if they didn't have the green one, I wasn't getting it! :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Had a go on my new one earlier.
    Only had a brief go on it tho with my epi p93 riviera - first impressions are good.
    I think the size/weight is a bit of an issue as for 15w its quite a big amp.
    I like the clean sound (only tried the bright input) and it has a nice bite once u turn it up a little.
    The "tunnel reverb" sound is a little low and i'm looking forward to trying that with a boost/effect.
    The vaporiser effect is great, if not too loud for my front room but it started to feedback lovely with my p93.
    Cant wait to properly test it with my other guitars.
    Not sure i'de have paid the original price of £450+ but for £199 i really think its a steal.
    Well I got my Vaporizer to play with yesterday, though I haven't managed to get a chance to actually let rip on it (that's today's task!).
    However, I couldn't resist taking a picture of it with the matching Jag.

@suspiciousminds have you found it to be very noisy? Lots of the reviews I read mentioned the overly-noisy reverb, but as I mentioned earlier, I found it to have only a very gentle hiss and not intrusive at all. I too am looking forward to chucking some pedals at it!
    0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Great pic @dogload!
    Well, i've been playing my jagstang through it today and it was noisier with the reverb right up but tbh no worse than my laney vc15.
    I haven't had it loud today, just used the cleans with reverb - i got a very nice 50's/60's sound.
    So far i'm well impressed for the money.
    The only think i dont like which is purely cosmetic is the suitcase handle which looks cheap with the chrome.