What's Hot

Comments

• Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7922
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4067
    I love aeropress.

Coffee bong for the win.

Gotta have good beans, but with those, this is great.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2487
    TBH it was the instant coffee granules that tipped me over the edge.
    Looking after the kids in the morning meant I had no time to make "real" coffee and had to drink that stuff.
    Now the magical coffee box on the end of the counter does it all for me with the press of one button.
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
  • FX_Munkee said:
    The Delonghi (magnifica?) I got is a piece of proverbial to clean/maintain and sourcing beans is easy and half the fun TBH.
    Downside is it's a bit big, it's not going to sit well in your bijou London apartment kitchen (or cupboard as we hicks like to call them).

Which one you got? Mine is this one

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Delonghi-ESAM04-110-S-Magnifica-Espresso-Cappuccino/dp/B002ID1XXK/ref=sr_1_sc_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1380658283&sr=8-2-spell&keywords=delongho+04.110

And for an entry level machine I am super impressed, build quality a bit plasticky but apparently they all share the same brew unit inside which is where it matters.. it is big but it is taking up less space than my gaggia and iberital grander which can both go now, delonghi for coffee, tassimo for tea and hot choc and nespresso for upstairs

• FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2487
    Mine is very similar (but more Goth)
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Delonghi-Esam4000-b-Magnifica-Espresso-Cappuccino/dp/B0036TDF6I/ref=pd_sim_sbs_kh_3

and I agree it's very well made. I used to be a design engineer, so I can be picky but the way it's been thought out and put together is very good IMHO.
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4952
    TimmyO said:
    <looks up Moka> - wow - what a faff : http://stumptowncoffee.com/brew-guides/moka-pot/
    "Step Ten: Wait for coffee to finish".

Stone me, 10 steps and it's STILL not ready?  Life is, indeed, too short!
    B-)
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 1024
    rolls1392 said:

Cheapo tip:

Buy yourself a coffee grinder. You grind your own beans, brew them in a caffetiere  thing then drink quality stuff.

Saves the cost of a machine. And the coffee is hot!!"!"

Bought a Hario grinder today and using some Waitrose own brand Columbian beans it gives me my fix, although I'm not a huge coffee drinker tbh.

The smell after grinding the beans is lovely, although it will probably take me the next few months to find a bean that I really love.

• menamestommenamestom Frets: 4746
    duotone;1072740" said:
    rolls1392 said:

Cheapo tip:Buy yourself a coffee grinder. You grind your own beans, brew them in a caffetiere  thing then drink quality stuff.Saves the cost of a machine. And the coffee is hot!!"!"

Bought a Hario grinder today and using some Waitrose own brand Columbian beans it gives me my fix, although I'm not a huge coffee drinker tbh.

The smell after grinding the beans is lovely, although it will probably take me the next few months to find a bean that I really love.
    Find somewhere local that roasts them, much better than supermarket beans, which could have been roasted months ago (although Waitrose are probably pretty good as far a supermarkets go).

• SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    I was fucking right, as of 11:50pm Friday night, with the new weather system things have rapidly changed around here.  Old coffee threads being resurrected from the grave, you people don't even realise how much your lives are so much greater than you are and how your fate is completely beyond your control.  And what's with the Eurovision thread?  FFS.  Or is it a Saturday and everyone is out having a good time?
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29132
    TimmyO said:
    <looks up Moka> - wow - what a faff : http://stumptowncoffee.com/brew-guides/moka-pot/
    I don't worry about most of that.

Water in - Coffee in - Screw together and put on heat - Wait for steamy spitty splurty noise while you find a mug and milk - Pour

All that takes maybe 90 seconds of actual effort, and 7 or 8 minutes waiting in the middle.
    You can cut the waiting down by putting boiling water in instead of cold.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16372
    Got a dead link on the stumptown thing but how many steps would you need to describe making beans on toast to someone unfamiliar with the process? I can do my moka whilst half asleep in the morning, although CBA to grind beans on a daily basis. The only trick really is to make sure it gets turned off at the right time and doesn't stew the coffee.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3109
    FFS I wish I'd accepted that drink you offered me on Friday now @strumjoughlamps :( I loves me some quality coffee.

"A city star won’t shine too far"

• Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    Being a bit of a coffee lover myself I bought a Moka pot, money well spent.

Whats the general feeling on the coffee? Coarser ground stuff? Any particular brand I should give a go?

Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• WezVWezV Frets: 16945
    I didn't know what they were called, always referred to mine as stovetop coffee pots.   I have had a small and medium one for years but only really used them for camping trips.

But my old magimix espresso machine died last week after years of faithful service.  Not the prettiest machine, but it performed admirably until it all flew apart.   

So since then I have been using the old Moka pots, and am really enjoying them.   I  am boiling the water first and its pretty great.    No frothy milk though, may need to look into a mukka

the alternative was to dig old the old turkish coffee pot and drink very slowly.   

I don't have any electric coffee machines left, never gone for pods because I don't like being tied to a (bland) brand.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29132
    Being a bit of a coffee lover myself I bought a Moka pot, money well spent.

Whats the general feeling on the coffee? Coarser ground stuff? Any particular brand I should give a go?
    Fairly coarse, yes, because the grounds are in contact with the water for much longer than in an espresso machine.

I like the Dark Italian blend from Redber, who are only a mile or so away from me. I have a subscription so they send me half a kilo every three weeks. They do a load of selection packs as well so you can try various blends, including a stovetop selection.

"[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • camfcamf Frets: 1199
    I love coffee... freshly roasted beans, Aeropress and a hand grinder. Living in the middle of Edinburgh I'm really lucky to be able to get beans from a few different roasters but the one in Stockbridge is my favourite.

It's maybe a bit wanky, but don't care... a great cup of coffee is worth spending a few quid on. And it's much better for me than the thousands of pounds I used to waste on tobacco (and still waste on alcohol... that's not a waste though, is it?) :)
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4746
    camf said:
    I love coffee... freshly roasted beans, Aeropress and a hand grinder. Living in the middle of Edinburgh I'm really lucky to be able to get beans from a few different roasters but the one in Stockbridge is my favourite.

It's maybe a bit wanky, but don't care... a great cup of coffee is worth spending a few quid on. And it's much better for me than the thousands of pounds I used to waste on tobacco (and still waste on alcohol... that's not a waste though, is it?) :)

Everybody should have an Aeropress, with fresh beans they are a really inexpensive way to great coffee, once you get your method perfected.  Still much cheaper and better than coffee chain coffee.

Would like a bean-to-cup as well however, using an Aeropress for more than yourself is a pita.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • camfcamf Frets: 1199
    ^^^ Wisdom. :)
  • shrinkwrapshrinkwrap Frets: 512
    Sainsbury's Fairtrade Sumatra Mandheling and a cafetiere - only ever had one slightly old tasting batch.
    Sod pods.
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3214
    tFB Trader
    Nowt wrong with a cafetière, just need to get the method right. If you ever go to Paris in the summer, watch how the waiters serve coffee with your breakfast...half plunged cafetière delivered to your table.
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk