Board planning - Now with multiple PAS!

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• @RaymondLin What do you use the JHS Colourbox for? is in the fx loop or pre guitar.

I got given one and TBH I am at a bit of a loss as to what to do with it!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12319
    It's in the loop of the DPC-5 so it's preamp. I'd say half the time it is used as like an EQ pre-amp, the other half like a distortion OD. It's in the last loop on the DPC-5 so I can EQ anything in the first 4 loops. I did have it outside the looper to begin with but found it easier this way since I like to leave the pedal on, but with it on its always EQ-ing the signal.
  • Having seen some demos of the pitchfork I think that's actually a much better pedal for my needs, and gives added flexibility too. Back to the ppt...
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28681
    Well Thomann have the Whammy V at half the price of everyone else, and I have a 50EUR voucher, so I have a Whammy coming :)

I've also just discovered Andertons ship to me for 16 quid as well as taking off the VAT... That means I save money vs the UK as long as I spend between 95 and 195 before tax comes off. This happens to be the sweet spot for drive pedals #OhGodMyWallet :)
    edited January 2015
    I also have a Timefactor coming when my inlaws visit in a fortnight. The Timeline is awesome for subtle swirly stuff but I remember my old Timefactor sounding crisper and better for rhythmic stuff (of course this was with a different amp, and 3 years ago..). When one came up in the classifieds I jumped so now I can AB them and sell whatever I don't want to keep. 

Aaaand I've just listened to the PGSAndy demo of the MXR Univibe. OHGODMYWALLET!!!!
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited January 2015
    Was that a B stock Whammy Mike?

The MXR Univibe is great, I've got the Hendrix version (same inside). 
    Nope, apparently just a regular whammy V for about 110 before tax came off. Bargain, I reckon!

I'm ties between the Univibe and the Micro Chorus. I want something swirly to cover lots of bases (Radiohead circa 1997, Gilmour, and Steven Van Zandt's recent clean sound spring to mind), so the MC was top of the list until I heard the PGS Univibe demo...
    Linky for cheapie Whammy: http://www.thomann.de/gb/digitech_whammy_5.htm

It's showing as 133 EUR including VAT for me. (116 without)
    So this is current plan. I think it will all fit, if I've done my sums right. If I keep the Timeline the Aux won't be needed which will let me put the swirly on the front row. If not, then the PT Mini will go in that space and all the dirt will shift along. Or something like that...
  • Don't bother planning… if you're anything like me your mind will change like the wind anyway!
    thisisguitar;466563" said:
    Don't bother planning… if you're anything like me your mind will change like the wind anyway!
    Pah! Planning's half the fun. Anyway, you have to plan a Pedaltrain otherwise you can get it neat. And everyone knows neat boards sound better ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • gjonesygjonesy Frets: 148
    Don't bother planning… if you're anything like me your mind will change like the wind anyway!
    what he said, I spent the Christmas holidays finally sorting my board out only to buy two new pedals which have arrived today. The board has already been pulled apart during my lunch break, I may even buy a bigger board!
    Instead of trying to plan a board to a particular size, I think of roughly how many pedals I want on a board, pick those pedals and then find a board to fit.
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Instead of trying to plan a board to a particular size, I think of roughly how many pedals I want on a board, pick those pedals and then find a board to fit.
    So you're settled forever with your choice of pedals then? ;-)

Problems start when you begin swapping things out, or something new and awesome gets released at NAMM and you've just got to have it.

It's rare to set up a board in one go and be done with it. These things tend to evolve, and that's where the "how am I going to fit this onto here" planning comes in.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Problems start when you begin swapping things out, or something new and awesome gets released at NAMM and you've just got to have it.

It's rare to set up a board in one go and be done with it. These things tend to evolve, and that's where the "how am I going to fit this onto here" planning comes in.
    Hence I guess why my board is as big as I want it to be 24x16....any bigger I would need help picking it up.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Hence I guess why my board is as big as I want it to be 24x16....any bigger I would need help picking it up.
    I'm middling on this issue. I like being able to swap stuff about a bit, but I also went down from a Diago Showman to a PTJr to give me more space at my feet when gigging, less to worry about in terms of options, and less to carry for load in/out!

A PTJr gives enough room for a lot of sounds without going nuts.
    Tis a good day! Some hefty pedal-AS has occurred :D

These arrived yesterday, which is annoying because I was in Oman and had to head to the office on the way home from the airport, but great cos it means I get to play today :)

Whammy came from Thomann, with review-discount thingy, the PP2+ came from Andertons within 2 days of ordering, and Univibe came from Prymaxe, who didn't necessarily fill in the customs form correctly even though there wouldn't have been duty to pay.

Anyway.. the board will be finalised once the Timefactor arrives next weekend and I decide between that and the Timeline, but in the meantime I've tested these two out and they're both excellent. 

The MXR Univibe is not 100% the way there to an original, but it also doesn't cost hundreds, weigh more, and fill half my board. It sounds great in its own right and that's the main thing.

And the Whammy V is just awesome. I need to hook up to a delay to get the most out of it I think, but it does "My Iron Lung" perfectly, and all the Morello stuff is right there. The chords mode is also really good. It doesn't have the blend control of a POG or pitchfork, but it's not far off where I'd set it for octaves anyway, so I don't think I mind. The dry+octavedown setting is particularly fun. I never really used that on my old Whammy 4 (maybe it's the chords mode that makes it sound better) but here its just a HUGE sound for riffs. Not the kind of thing I'm usually into but so much fun I think I'll cope! :D

New pedals!

Testing, testing