Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Tipping

What's Hot
RockerRocker Frets: 5110
As in restaurants or cafes. We usually leave around 10% of the cost. What is the usual tip in the UK?
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4714
    edited January 2015
    10% is good (if they deserve a tip that is, it's not automatic)
  • d8md8m Frets: 2434
    Don't eat yellow snow.

7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CabbageCatCabbageCat Frets: 5549

Round up to the nearest tenner but not less than 10%. I would have to be very badly treated to leave a bad tip (or no tip). I go for regular meals with my mate and his kid and the bill always seems to end up about £56. £60 seems slightly stingy and £65 seems overly generous. That's when you need some assorted shrapnel to bulk it out a bit.

Taxi drivers get less because they're taxi drivers and deserve only misery.

Pizza boy gets f*ck all because I pay in advance online nowadays. Suckers.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 25006
    d8m;480809" said:
    Don't eat yellow snow.
    Never put a bonfire out with your face....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7974
    edited January 2015

Taxi drivers get less because they're taxi drivers and deserve only misery.

Pizza boy gets f*ck all because I pay in advance online nowadays. Suckers.

This will make me unpopular but this is why I disagree with tipping culture in the UK.  We tip in as far as I can see one industry, this seems unfair to me.  Being a restaurant server is not the only lower paid (on average) service industry job, so why do those guys get performance pay but nobody else?  Convention, pure and simple.  And again, by convention, if you pay first you don't tip.

I'm not ignorant to the pricing/wage arguments, but I think they're largely pointless because the default position is 10% and everyone just accepts it and you get stick for arguing against it, even if you have reason to not tip (beyond just an ideological position).

I do tip, sometimes, but it is not my default position, and I don't see why it should be.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Well alot of salaried jobs do have performance pay although it is certainly rare for me to get as much as 10% (it has only approaches that the year before a promotion). 

Doesn't get paid by the customer directly mind you.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    If giving a tip is discretionary [no service charge] then I only tip if the service was good and only ever in cash to the person who served me - the better the service the higher the tip. It pays dividends when I walk into a place on a busy Friday night ...

And take your glasses - my wife managed to give a £45 tip on a £75 meal once [left her glasses at home] .. we were popular the next time we went back.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7974
    edited January 2015
    Well alot of salaried jobs do have performance pay although it is certainly rare for me to get as much as 10% (it has only approaches that the year before a promotion). 

Doesn't get paid by the customer directly mind you.

I'm not anti performance pay, before anyone thinks that.

I just think it is an unequal convention when it comes to service industry jobs.  As already highlighted, if you pay first you don't tip by convention, also most don't tip outside of food industry front of house as far as I can tell.  

Also, most people I've known just do it on autopilot regardless.
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12660
    My mate is a chef in a restaurant, sweating his bollocks of 14 hour days and all tips go to front of house, not fair.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 7066
    I don't tip. I pay on card most places anyway...

Previously known as stevebrum
  • Pizza boy gets f*ck all because I pay in advance online nowadays. Suckers.

The practice of tipping delivery folk confuses me.  I don't tip a waiter or waitress for basic service, I tip them for continued good service beyond what might be the minimum expectation of their job role.  When a delivery guy he brings the pizza (or like) to the door, knocks, then hands me the food.  That is the bare minimum of their job role.  In fact if he missed out any of those steps he wouldn't have actually delivered it.  Not one has ever offered to come in and dish up or get the kids to wash their hands.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    Don't tip bad service, don't be a purse emptier (a load of 2p's and 1p's etc-that's rude).

I worked in the service industry for a while-for the tips really, made good money but I was in high end places. It's an overlooked career and looked down upon in this country which is a shame. You're tipped because you're on a low wage, working when everyone else is not and its customer facing(being nice to people while they're generally behaving like idiots) on the back of a 16 hour day.

Tip bar staff and get to know them a bit and you'll get served first, be generally treated better, have a nicer experience and get the odd freebie, wouldn't have to be much either....

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

• lloyd said:
    Tip bar staff and get to know them a bit and you'll get served first,

I've noticed tits and a low cut top work at least equally as well also.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 16314
    when I worked at the hospital I used tae tip the canteen staff and a request of smaller portions for future visits
    tae be or not tae be
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17140
    lloyd said:

I see the weekend is upon us.

• lloyd said:

You're tipped because you're on a low wage, working when everyone else is not and it's customer facing(being nice to people while they're generally behaving like idiots).

Sounds like playing guitar for a covers band at a pub gig...

Low wage... yes... especially compared with cost of kit, cost of strings, rehearsal rooms, repairs to cables etc

Working when everyone else is not...  yes

Customer facing... being nice to people while they're generally behaving like idiots... oh yes, yes, yes...

...spilling beer on your pedalboard... repeatedly requesting a: the song you already played 10 mins ago  b: something 'really rocking' by Max Bygraves... falling against your amp and knocking it off its stand (cue sound of expensive glass tubey things breaking).

... and still we don't get tips... the odd punter may buy you a pint (a rare thing in these economic downturn days... and if they do, I always buy them one back)... some pubs may let you have the odd drink... and on a very, very rare occasion, the odd pub may give you a few extra pounds (always gobsmacking and a bit touching).

• lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    randomhandclaps;481005" said:
    lloyd said:

I never did that-firstly because they think they're gonna get served so it puts them down a peg or two, secondly I liked to keep them there to look at a bit longer!

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lloyd said:
    randomhandclaps;481005" said:
    lloyd said:

I never did that-firstly because they think they're gonna get served so it puts them down a peg or two, secondly I liked to keep them there to look at a bit longer!

You show great wisdom.  Taking lateral thinking to a whole new level
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17140
    It's worse in the US, particularly in the restaurants, they expect to be tipped a minimum of 15-20%. No-ome has ever given me a tip for doing whatever job I've been paid to do, but I think the restaurateurs should pay staff appropriately, stick their prices up a little, and then we don't have to face the embarrassment at bill time.

• ROOGROOG Frets: 567

I must try this next time.