Finished! New Project - lightweight solid walnut-bodied bass

What's Hot

Comments

• speshul91speshul91 Frets: 1397
    good job my gas has just been semi sorted cos that would get pride of place on my wall andy
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    The contouring really brings out the grain pattern in the walnut - superb with the tru oil finish. Liking the control cavity cover as well - it kind of looks like the grain pattern continues over that, with no visible break - you don't have some way of doing that do you? Impressive anyhow. And that headstock is very nice indeed. :)
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3128
    speshul91 said:
    good job my gas has just been semi sorted cos that would get pride of place on my wall andy

:)  Thanks, @speshul91

Andy
    Megii said:
    The contouring really brings out the grain pattern in the walnut - superb with the tru oil finish. Liking the control cavity cover as well - it kind of looks like the grain pattern continues over that, with no visible break - you don't have some way of doing that do you? Impressive anyhow. And that headstock is very nice indeed. :)
    Thanks, @Megii   :)

I'm pleased how it's coming out.  I wondered at first if there was going to be enough figuring but the carving has exposed some really subtle patterning.

Mainly luck of course - and the cover is totally luck :))  The veneer I used had been taken off the same block (good old Kirk's bandsaw at www.exotichardwoodsukltd.com's is a darn site better than mine and he managed to take a 4mm slice off the whole thing) but the fact that the grain is compatible in that particular area is pure fluke.

I've sanded the headstock now - I'll post some shots tomorrow.

Andy 

Sometimes, I think the gods are with you on a build, and flukes like that seem to happen. :)
    Megii said:
    Sometimes, I think the gods are with you on a build, and flukes like that seem to happen. :)
    Yup...and at other times it is clear I have made the gods very angry and I f**k everything up  :))
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Megii said:
    Yup...and at other times it is clear I have made the gods very angry and I f**k everything up  :))
    Cheers! that made me genuinely laugh out loud - yes, I can relate to that side of the coin as well... :D
    I wanna get another build going after seeing this but I think I'd get killed haha, I've just put a deposit down on my "last" guitar
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    @speshul91 yeah, but you and I both know thats not true ;) what is it btw?

Andy, you sir are a master with wood (oo er!) And the curbow headstock lends itself well to your swallows
    'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    it's a 5 string peavey bass, I'm pretty sure it's an international series, there's a thread in the bass section with pics @hertz32
    speshul91 said:
    I wanna get another build going after seeing this but I think I'd get killed haha, I've just put a deposit down on my "last" guitar
    Just seen it, @speshul91   Looks stupendous  :)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Here's the tidied up headstock:

....and the shielding is on its way:

Should be able to start the reassembly this evening  :)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Nice - inlays look really good.
  • wow this is looking amazing Andy. Top top drawer stuff. 
    Thanks @DartmoorHedgehog !

It's pretty much finished - I'll post the assembled photos shortly 
    :)

Andy
    Just waiting for a plain black truss-rod cover and to do the final action and intonation set-up but it's pretty much done  :)

To my great relief, the active electronics behaved themselves and the neck fitted nicely.

The weight has - by pure fluke - come out within 1 gramme of the original and it feels nice to play.  The owner was very happy with the neck of the original - now I know why...it's lovely :)

Here are some final shots:

Thanks for all of the encouraging feedback and comments along the way  ;)

Andy
    0reaction image LOL 8reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Good work! Never been a huge fan of the Curbows, but that looks great!
    Some more about me, my music and my record label: https://www.linkedin.com/pub/luke-crook/22/18/537

• PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2381
    Looks great Andy! 
    I'll be honest, and reveal that I was having my slight reservations about the lines of the carving/contouring - which I would have kept to myself tbh... But now I see the finished article, any such thoughts are blown out of the water anyhow - it looks totally stunning Andy, yet another triumph. I can't see the owner being anything less than blown away by this either - it looks utterly beautiful. Can you say anything regarding how the walnut body has influenced the sound?
    edited March 2015
    Megii said:
    Can you say anything regarding how the walnut body has influenced the sound?
    Difficult to say at the moment @Megii ;

It's all set up now with intonation, bridge height, neck relief, but the pickup sponge needs replacing - it doesn't push the pickup close enough to the strings so I need to de-string it and pop a thicker sponge underneath.  Probably going to be Wednesday before I get round to that.  I'm not expecting a huge difference but it will be interesting to see if there is any  

Thanks, all, for your kind words...

Andy