SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

SOLD: Vintage Dan Armstrong London Guitar and Bass Bodies/Necks in three lots.

What's Hot
xJonnysixstringxJonnysixstring Frets: 326
edited April 2016 in Guitars £
For those of you unfamiliar feel free to check out the original thread:

After lots of PM's and discussions its unlikely anyone is going to take the financial risk of taking the whole collection from me, I have decided to split the collection into three lots, Each lot will consist of 6 guitar bodies and necks and 4 bass bodies and necks and two constructed guitars, so 12 potential instruments, I am asking for £2500 per lot so essentially £208 per guitar, Each lot will consist of:

4 Bass Necks
4 Bass Bodies (Pre selected)
6 Guitar Necks
6 Guitar Bodies (Buyer can select)
2 Constructed Instruments (Buyer can select)
Equal share of hardware

There are three body shapes that date from the very start of production through to when the factory closed in 1974, I have christened these Long Horn, Short Horn and Short Horn Offset (pictures below)

On top of this, If you buy a lot I will let you take whatever you like of the left over 55 bodies at a price of £40 per body. I must stress that this opportunity is for someone with the tools and skills to turn these into instruments, It is not a kit or beginners project, Every neck and body will require work to get it to finishing stage, Most of the bodies have finish that will need stripping and all necks will need sanding and possibly grain filling, This is before you have sourced and/or manufactured the parts needed to complete them. Lots of pictures of the whole lot below, Enjoy :)

imageimageimage
imageimageimageimageimage
imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    That's a lot of old wood ! GLWS
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8846
    In the other thread we had interest from:
    @Deijavoo constructed guitar
    @JamesMorris constructed guitar
    @WezV parts for guitar and fretless bass
    @mrchi bass
    @NPP to include un routed body blank for leftie 
    @Forge unfinished
    and I'll go for an unfinished Long Horn or Offset, possibly both.

I make that 3 basses, 2 constructed guitars, and 12 assorted guitars, 

Are you guys still interested?  Does anyone else want to join the party?  If so then please PM me your email addresses, and I'll talk to @Jonnysixstring about selection, collection and distribution.  

Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks @Roland happy to talk options :)
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3299
    I am but I have to say this part worries me: 

" I must stress that this opportunity is for someone with the tools and skills to turn these into instruments, It is not a kit or beginners project, Every neck and body will require work to get it to finishing stage, Most of the bodies have finish that will need stripping and all necks will need sanding and possibly grain filling, This is before you have sourced and/or manufactured the parts needed to complete them. "

I've never put a guitar together before so this may be jumping in the deep end. Nor do I have any toolss etc.... Yet. Maybe I was a little hasty jumping in or could we maybe start a step by step thread for noobs like me?
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27953
    @Roland - I'd probably be in for two.  I'll PM you later.
    Deijavoo said:
    I am but I have to say this part worries me: 

" I must stress that this opportunity is for someone with the tools and skills to turn these into instruments, It is not a kit or beginners project, Every neck and body will require work to get it to finishing stage, Most of the bodies have finish that will need stripping and all necks will need sanding and possibly grain filling, This is before you have sourced and/or manufactured the parts needed to complete them. "

I've never put a guitar together before so this may be jumping in the deep end. Nor do I have any toolss etc.... Yet. Maybe I was a little hasty jumping in or could we maybe start a step by step thread for noobs like me?
    That's the reality.

These are NOT parts intended as an easy-to-put together kit.  They are slightly eccentric, non-standard parts for a 45-year old design.  Jon is being honest about the work that's involved and open about his reasons for selling.  
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • DannyPDannyP Frets: 1696
    What type of finish is required to make them see-through?
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4243
    ^ stains & clearcoat, wudtone would be a sensible option for ease of use, or even just a nice danish/tru oil finish.
  • If I had no build experience I would not consider this as a first project, If you have a decent local luthier they should be able to marry body and neck. There are a few places that do finishing rattle can kits.
  • @dannyp all the bodies and necks are very dark already, I would say some grain filler and clear coat would be fine
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8846
    DannyP said:
    Body swap for Perspex (Lucite).  The downsides with Perspex are it's weight, and it scratches easily.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DannyPDannyP Frets: 1696
    DannyP;582334" said:
    guitargeek62;582343" said:
    ^ stains & clearcoat, wudtone would be a sensible option for ease of use, or even just a nice danish/tru oil finish.
    Jonnysixstring;582348" said:
    @dannyp all the bodies and necks are very dark already, I would say some grain filler and clear coat would be fine
    I was hoping for this kind of see-through finish, I imagine one would have to buff it for quite some time.

https://wharferj.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/dan-armstrong-plexi.jpg
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GuitarMonkeyGuitarMonkey Frets: 1883
    edited April 2015
    What's the average weight of the wooden bodies?

What does the lightest weigh? And the heaviest?
  • @guitarmonkey now your asking :) I have 85 bodies in total and weight differs a lot! I will weigh a few next week when back in the workshop.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NPPNPP Frets: 236
    @Roland I'd be up for a lefty routed body plus matching neck, anything requiring more work would be beyond my skills

• @NPP I have one lefty body but no necks so the headstock logo would be wrong way up.
    edited April 2015
    @NPP I have one lefty body but no necks so the headstock logo would be wrong way up.
    The logo would be fine but the fret markers would be underneath.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    I've just twigged the Dan Armstrong -> Kent Armstrong -> Andy Blake -> Hot Rod Pickups connections.

Am I barking up the wrong tree?
  • BogwhoppitBogwhoppit Frets: 2754
    @NPP I have one lefty body but no necks so the headstock logo would be wrong way up.
    The logo would be fine but the fret markers would be underneath.

Use a mirror  :)

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @Guitarmonkey, you are right about the connection but that's not where these came from. This was intended as an independent venture of Hot Rod I just simply do not have the time to do it justice :(
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16949
    edited April 2015

I'm out because I spent my money elsewhere (new tools etc...)

I would still be interested in helping assemble a couple.   So if anyone is interested, but put off by the prospect of it being too much work I may be able to help for a reasonable price because it interests me.  But lets be clear on expectation, I would happily do 2 or 3.  if they turned out okay (i.e. not a total ball ache to get right) I may be willing to do more, but i would not be able to do 36 this side of the next millenium

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom