Kevin Shields- whats the fuss?

What's Hot

Comments

• iseverynamegoneiseverynamegone Frets: 1580
    edited April 2015
    Never really got there with MBV but they did sound unique .

This did however make me think back to what I was listening to instead of them when I was uni. swervedriver at Hull Adelphi dec 1991 and Neds Atomic Dustbin somewhere else in Hull 1992. For every Ying there is a yang.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5409
    At the time I was listening to ridiculously obscure heavy metal bands.

So no change there...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4714
    NEDS ATOMIC DUSTBIN!!!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    Completely terrible band
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    DesVegas said:
    NEDS ATOMIC DUSTBIN!!!!
    They inspired me to kill my television

• DaleftyDalefty Frets: 509
    DesVegas said:
    kill ALL hippies

The person who does my tattoos in the U.K. has that slogan tattooed, I almost got 'Hippie Killer' tattooed on my back, but got something else done instead.

DaLefty
    Both dog and owner available for stud, please contact DaLefty if interested
  • ewalewal Frets: 2845
    Isn't Anything and the Glider EP are cracking too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 23195
    Loveless is less about guitar playing technique and all about recording and mixing obsession with one man as the focus. All the amps and the pedals and guitars are a diversion. It's not about big complex signal paths. Something as simple as distortion after vibrato and delay gives a very different sound to a distortion pedal into delay and vibrato.

It's just great. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1657
    The way this builds into the extended coda should draw you in. You have to stick with it though. 

• tbmtbm Frets: 586
    Loveless is a total winner. There's nothing like it. Isn't Anything has some fantastic bits on it, as does m b v. I find the mystique around him is a bit annoying though. He's just a fat recluse with a penchant for wobbly guitar noises. Like, m b v was absolutely not worth the wait, decent and all that it is. Kinda bummed I never saw them live though. I walked past the tent they were playing in at Electric Picnic in '08 saying to myself 'Ye can't go see MBV in a tent. It's just wrong. They'll play a big room in Dublin soon and I'll go to that.' They've not played a stand alone gig in Ireland since they started up again, despite the many in the UK and abroad. Pricks.

I've always been a bigger fan of his brother's band, Rollerskate Skinny. Slightly more traditional approach to recording, but weirder songs.

Noise, randomness, ballistic uncertainty.
  • JadedJaded Frets: 129
    I honestly find Loveless to be the least interesting album, in terms of "songs", should have been a collection of shorter EP's as it stands for me it's more like a collection of soundscapes crafted in a studio and once you've heard it a few times it loses it's mystique. At least it did for me! 

The first album (Isn't Anything) is much better IMO. It sounds like a band, albeit one behind a wall of gated/reverse reverb... but the songs are there even if the production isn't as flashy. I'm pretty sure most of that album (and the pre-loveless EP's) were just Jaguar > SPX-90 > Marshall/Vox with the occasional Roger Mayer fuzz or Marshall Guv'nor thrown in.

...then again what do I know? This is my favourite MBV song...

• LewLew Frets: 1657
    edited April 2015
    I enjoy them (not love them). Seen this? He's borrowed Gavs pedalboard.

• LewLew Frets: 1657
    edited April 2015
    tbm said:
    He's just a fat recluse with a penchant for wobbly guitar noises. 

So are most of this forum. Your point? ;-)
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74503
    Lew said:
    I enjoy them (not love them). Seen this? He's borrowed Gavs pedalboard.
    He's borrowed Brian May's hairdresser too...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tbmtbm Frets: 586
    Lew said:
    tbm said:
    He's just a fat recluse with a penchant for wobbly guitar noises. 

So are most of this forum. Your point? ;-)
    Touché sir, touché.

Noise, randomness, ballistic uncertainty.
  • gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 935
    edited April 2015

Nah, not for me either. I saw them on the m b v tour, and managed to get permanent damage to my left ear. Not only loud, but incredibly boring too.

It's not that I don't like textural music, or even shoegaze, but I never really felt that loveless was all that great.

There's only one jazzmaster hero for me, and he has long grey hair.

• XWulfhereXWulfhere Frets: 416
    I don't get Loveless either. Love Xtrmtr but I wouldn't say the highlight is the guitar playing - if anything I like Bernard Sumner on Shoot Speed/Kill Light more. And Mani's bass playing too!
    And you know what else? Those safety lids on bottles of sanatogen. There I am trying to get the lid off and along comes my six year old and says "there you are daddy" and it's off in a Jiffy. Someone's gonna get hurt.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74503
    I must admit that having now corrected my mistake of never having heard him and listened to Loveless…

Hmmmm. It's OK. I don't dislike it, but it does seem rather aimless. I'll give it another go.

A big surprise given the reputation for ear-bleeding volume is that it's actually quite a quiet album. I'll try it louder.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 32405
    I hate that textural stuff, it's like listening to someone speak who only uses vowels.

Music for me is about tension and release, punctuation and silence.

It's not a criticism, I just don't understand it.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom