Things to look for when buying a guitar.

What's Hot
Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3446
This may seem obvious to many, most of us old hacks probably think we know what we're looking for when buying a guitar....however even these days I still buy stuff then discover what turn out to be serious flaws :)

So - what are the things to check when buying a guitar?

My own process - inadequate as it is - involves fairly cursory checks of paint / finish, nut and fret finish, visually only. Then I play it and if the electronics work and I like it, I buy it. Then I take it to @ICBM who tells me what's wrong with it!!

I am sure though there are some basics I should be checking from a more dispassionate point of view.

Anyone want to chip in to build the ultimate 'buying checklist'?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    My own process - inadequate as it is - involves fairly cursory checks of paint / finish, nut and fret finish, visually only. Then I play it and if the electronics work and I like it, I buy it. Then I take it to @ICBM who tells me what's wrong with it!!

Don't take it to ICBM, you'll have a perfect guitar........ :-B

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12029
    1 - its a real not a fake
    2 - check for possible repair jobs and damage that was and wasn't described
    3 - strum it and listen to it acoustically
    4 - plug it in and play, feel up and down the neck, how it feels, action, sound, turn all the knobs and listen for scratches.
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    How cool does it look? How cool do YOU look with it strapped on?
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1633
    edited July 2015
    Given that no guitar is irreparable, most of it relates to asking price vs cost of repair. 
    Otherwise, buy new and reserve your right to return it to the shop. :)

If you're buying used, two fundamentals spring to mind:

Gibsons - check for neck cracks/repairs.

Vintage - do your research and check for replacement parts and previous repairs.

Expensive used acoustics - get a mirror on a stick through the soundhole, check the bracing, bridge area etc.

Twisted neck is a pretty big one and not so easy to diagnose.

Pick each note as an open string and check for buzzing, could need a new nut/recut.

Volume balance between the pickups? I dunno. Bloody minefiled!

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    Single coils.
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    edited July 2015
    Duplicate post. Ignore me..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    Check the Seller.

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9811
    Not having the word 'Gibson' on the headstock.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Having the word 'Gibson' on the headstock.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    edited July 2015
    1. Discover how the word Gibson came to appear on the headstock.
    2. Discover why the seller needed to see the word Gibson on his cheap/expensive Singlecut guitar.

No....Scrub 2.
    There is simply not enough time to go into that.

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3598
    Head over heart (easier said than done). In the old days we took a guitar playing friend along who was hopefully less passionate about the guitar and spotted things for you.

If you are buying vintage and paying the premium, be vary suspicions and careful.

On regular guitars many things can be fixed inexpensively if you are handy. But a refret, twisted (as opposed to bowed) neck, intonation (acoustics) or a neck reset for a fixed joint will be costly. Cracks and rattles in acoustic bodies usually require a luthier and his tools.

Finally know what the going rate is, if you find you don't like it can you flip it without getting screwed.

• streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1633
    ESBlonde;697635" said:
    Head over heart (easier said than done). In the old days we took a guitar playing friend along who was hopefully less passionate about the guitar and spotted things for you.

If you are buying vintage and paying the premium, be vary suspicions and careful.

On regular guitars many things can be fixed inexpensively if you are handy. But a refret, twisted (as opposed to bowed) neck, intonation (acoustics) or a neck reset for a fixed joint will be costly. Cracks and rattles in acoustic bodies usually require a luthier and his tools.

Finally know what the going rate is, if you find you don't like it can you flip it without getting screwed.
    Oh yeah, neck reset is a biggie.
  • BabonesBabones Frets: 1207
    1 - its a real not a fake
    You mean, like an air guitar?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3446
    edited July 2015
    Some ( :) ) interesting responses. To take it further: how to check neck for alignment? How to identify high (or low) frets?

What are the acceptable range of bridge heights in Gibsons?

I suppose what I was getting at originally was, can we crowd source a buying tips wiki / sticky. I realise that was a big ask here :)

Perhaps Streethawk is correct, it's too much of a minefield to distill down to s simple list.
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4438
    Do you want my comprehensive list? Lol
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11504
    Most important thing: does it sound good?

If I pick it up and strum a few chords and it doesn't sound good then the rest is a waste of time.  If it sounds good then I check the other stuff.  Personally I'm not that fussed about cosmetic stuff as long as the neck is straight and it sounds good.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3598
    @Moe-Zambbek
    Sight down the neck and see if the action remains similar/constant either side of the neck. A dip at the same spot by the same amount is OK and the truss rod will sort that (unless some twunt has broken the thread - worth checking if the neck has a bad bend).
    Fret all positions and listen for a buzz (but naff action makes this less than perfect). Fret leveling is or can be a DIY thing to a degree.
    Look at how the neck is set against the body on a set neck Gibson, you want the fingerboard almost parallel to the body and the bridge not sat up high on it's posts to get a low action. Very early LPs were actually slightly too low for modern playing action and you find some 52 LPs with the bridge filed away under the adjuster nuts to get a low playing action.

Anything that looks too good to be true usually is!

• NeilNeil Frets: 3690
    Apart from checking for neck twists, ( I guess sighting down both sides and along the fingerboard is the only way to do this) I look for body pocket cracks on bolt on types -  can't stand that.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7350
    ...does it make me more attractive to women...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    ...does it make me more attractive to PEOPLE...
    Fixed that for you ;-)