Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

NGD - it's here!! - New Gibson Les Paul Junior 2015 - £419 !!!!!!!

What's Hot

Comments

• teradaterada Frets: 5125
    Evildurka said:
    The neck is absolutely fine, takes about 5 minutes to get used to it and start shredding. The double cut I have is a sublime guitar and I cannot wait for Xmas when the wife will officially allow me to have it :D
    Glad you like it! My mitts tend to be a little more stubborn!
    ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Is it me or do the Sunburst Juniors have a lighter fingerboard than the Cherry Red?
    Looks a bit, I don't know, dry..?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3308
    Happy NGD!
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 4159
    The Buzzcocks comment, price and green light from the missus is making a prospective purchase all so very tempting!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4904
    I'm still struggling with the neck width issue which isn't an issue for me at all. I have 2 2015s with slightly different profile necks but the same width and a V52 tale with a neck 4mm narrower. It takes me about a minute to adapt either way. I am bemused that people who have been playing for years struggle to adjust.
    It's like saying you can't drive an x can because it's wider, shorter, has a different steering wheel etc, to what I'm used to. I reckon I can sit in any car and drive it within a couple minutes no problem.
    Neck thickness I can understand as I prefer a slimmer neck rather than chunky but not the tiny differences in width. I think that if people wanted to adapt and adjust they would, but many don't seem to want to ......
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12333
    edited October 2015
    @rlw ;

I don't think it is an issue that people can't adjust to the neck width. The issue and the question is....

Why do we need to? Especially if we have a choice not have to, unless you actually want to. There are a million and one guitars out there, it's not like this is the only one.

You don't buy a guitar in a scale that you don't like to play in because it is cheap so why would you buy a guitar with a neck width you don't like because it is cheap?

Same logic really.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Enjoy. Juniors are fine guitars.
  • EvildurkaEvildurka Frets: 351
    Deadman;833836" said:
    The Buzzcocks comment, price and green light from the missus is making a prospective purchase all so very tempting!
    Dude seriously buy one or if you can still find one cheap get the double cut as they are excellent too
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 4159
    Evildurka said:
    Deadman;833836" said:
    Dude seriously buy one or if you can still find one cheap get the double cut as they are excellent too

I'm close to the edge, seriously. As long as I can be Mick Jones or Pete Shelley.
  • Sunburst or Red???......
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3421
    rlw;833931" said:
    I'm still struggling with the neck width issue which isn't an issue for me at all. I have 2 2015s with slightly different profile necks but the same width and a V52 tale with a neck 4mm narrower. It takes me about a minute to adapt either way. I am bemused that people who have been playing for years struggle to adjust.
    It's like saying you can't drive an x can because it's wider, shorter, has a different steering wheel etc, to what I'm used to. I reckon I can sit in any car and drive it within a couple minutes no problem.
    Neck thickness I can understand as I prefer a slimmer neck rather than chunky but not the tiny differences in width. I think that if people wanted to adapt and adjust they would, but many don't seem to want to ......
    I've been gassing for a Les Paul special for a while now and will be picking one up after Christmas when I get my bonus. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't tempted by the 2015 model at the minute which is purely driven by price.
    Having played a few my thoughts are that I could live with the tuners, would probably have the headstock refinished as I really don't like the logo but the deal breaker is the neck width. It's not that I couldn't adjust I just prefer the slimmer profile and would also like a fatter neck which means I need to visit Gibson Custom.
  • Neck thickness and width are so important. I massively prefer my PRS pattern thin necks to the regular size. Sure I can adjust but like Raymond says, why should I have to when I have the choice?
  • I don't give a crap about neck dimensions - I just want more guitars.
    I want all the guitars.

6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5636
    reasonable lightweight mahogany + reasonable P90(s) + nitro + hard case + made in USA (argue all you want about that but it's impossible at that price point in a 'normal' scenario) = win in my book. I think the maple topped LPs will be black sheep but these simple rock monsters will be alright in the future. If the tuners fail, pull 'em out! Congrats!
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3847
    @rlw ;

I don't think it is an issue that people can't adjust to the neck width. The issue and the question is....

Why do we need to? Especially if we have a choice not have to, unless you actually want to. There are a million and one guitars out there, it's not like this is the only one.

You don't buy a guitar in a scale that you don't like to play in because it is cheap so why would you buy a guitar with a neck width you don't like because it is cheap?

Same logic really.
    By that logic all guitars you would then buy would be the same.

Different thickness/width/radii necks and scale lengths keep things interesting IMO.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 10104
    I'm sorely tempted by one of these, ironically to mess around with tunings.

I like the idea of the 2 P90s but not the look of the Special !?!

I think sometimes it helps me as a guitarist to try something new, and fretboard variations can bring new playing styles out of me...

I may get a Junior.
  • @Wazmeister I'm having the same dilemma. 
    I want the neck P90, but don;t particularly like the look of the special.
    The Juniors look awesome IMO, but am not sure I can live with only having a bridge pickup, however am also aware that sometimes when you limit yourself you come up with more possibilities.
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3421
    Wazmeister;834309" said:
    I'm sorely tempted by one of these, ironically to mess around with tunings.

I like the idea of the 2 P90s but not the look of the Special !?!

I think sometimes it helps me as a guitarist to try something new, and fretboard variations can bring new playing styles out of me...

I may get a Junior.
    I think it looks really weird without the scratchplate.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Neil said:
    @rlw ;

Same logic really.
    By that logic all guitars you would then buy would be the same.

Different thickness/width/radii necks and scale lengths keep things interesting IMO.
    Pass "Go" and collect £200 for the use of the word radii.  Well done.

Money, guitars, cars, football, beer and women - roughly in that order.  Also, black things are good.  All hail the Lords Black, Burnel, Cornwell and Greenfield - and Squire Warne.  Currently levelling buildings with a Precision bass for the unrivalled www.daphnedontfloat.com
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TheDarkLordTheDarkLord Frets: 34
    edited October 2015
    Did someone say pictures?

Pretty pleased with my couple of "Juniors".

I had a good old play with it last night through a Rose Morris era (circa (1979) AC30.  Oh it was good.  The P90 has the cut of a single coil but a bit "stronger".  It's sort of half single coil half humbucker sounding to me.

I'm a BIG Tele fan and, to me, the Junior is like the "Gibson Tele".  I'm very, very pleased with the purchase.

Oh ....... and the neck thing.  It's just less than 3mm wider than a Les Paul Standard.  Have a look at the rulers on your desk boys and girls and strain your eyes to see if can even make out the 3mm at the start of the ruler.  If you can't cope with this difference then you shouldn't be playing guitar.  Sure, it is slightly noticeable, and may not be your preference, but it's no big deal.  I like it.

Money, guitars, cars, football, beer and women - roughly in that order.  Also, black things are good.  All hail the Lords Black, Burnel, Cornwell and Greenfield - and Squire Warne.  Currently levelling buildings with a Precision bass for the unrivalled www.daphnedontfloat.com