Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

The first guitar you really bonded with?

What's Hot

Comments

• ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    edited December 2015

my Strat… which I still play regularly and adore..

http://www.paul-clark.com/pages/pics/equipment/pride.htm

play every note as if it were your first
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10890
    Clarky said:
    Possibly my Japanese Charvel Model 2 from 1986 (although I liked both The Ibanez Iceman and the Aria XX Flying V I had)

That poor Charvel got so abused that there was nothing left of the body in the end, however I do still have it with a new body on it now....and a refret too!

that…. is just pure sex…
    love it...
    Me too.
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Now with a Bulldog Exremist (bridge - @Clarky spec), Duncan Distortion (neck) and a Schaller Floyd (C/O @Dr.Bob)

Named Laura, and been with me 21 years.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    mike_l said:

Now with a Bulldog Exremist (bridge - @Clarky spec), Duncan Distortion (neck) and a Schaller Floyd (C/O @Dr.Bob)

gorgeous….
    play every note as if it were your first
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Clarky said:
    mike_l said:

gorgeous….
    @SimonBeckwith described it as "the guitar with no neck" as the neck is so slim. And Yes, I agree Clarky. Also my first "proper" guitar, after a shite LP copy and a Squire Strat.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• MattGMattG Frets: 170
    It would have to be my Gibson sg special as that was my first guitar and while it is not my best guitar it is still almost certainly still my favourite
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74470
    That poor Charvel got so abused that there was nothing left of the body in the end, however I do still have it with a new body on it now....and a refret too!
    Glad to hear I'm not the only one who did that. The problem with my Aria was that I had fitted it with several different locking nuts to go with the various bridges I put on it, so the headstock end was a mess too, and restoring it simply by replacing the body wasn't an option.

All's well that ends well though - the replacement RS I bought is in better condition than my original, looks and feels identical, and was very likely cut from the same laminated body blank since the pattern of different-sized pieces is identical… which is quite freaky!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• mike_l said:
    Clarky said:
    mike_l said:

gorgeous….
    @SimonBeckwith described it as "the guitar with no neck" as the neck is so slim. And Yes, I agree Clarky. Also my first "proper" guitar, after a shite LP copy and a Squire Strat.

Lol I did, it's is ultra thin, but a cracking guitar nonetheless. The neck cracked on the one I had :(
  • Red squire Strat with an ESP dual rail at the bridge, first proper guitar I had.
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2228
    A 98 Gibson SG Standard which i still own.

For years it was my only guitar, the thought to buy anything else never even crossed my mind. Keep umming and ahhing about selling it. The guitar has been signed by holdsworth and Guthrie.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • BarriveeBarrivee Frets: 100
    An early run Larrivee RS4 with Lollars and a bit of bling here and there. Still pretty much the best player I've got.
  • pmgpmg Frets: 301
    Epiphone ej200
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25095
    edited December 2015
    1980 (I think) Hamer Special, the second guitar I owned and the first good one.  I got it at the start of 1982 and it was my only guitar for several years.

I did lots of silly things to it, like fitting at least a dozen different pickups and (tragically) routing it for a Kahler.

I still have it, but it's in a sorry state, unfortunately.
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5916
    edited December 2015
    Kramer Striker 300ST circa 1984-86. I got it for Xmas it in 1989 when I was 17. I had some real dogs of Guitars before that from being 14 (Including Marlin Sidewinder). Bought it from a mate of a mate. It felt like I had the best Guitar in the world and it did play brilliantly. The frets were filed down and the action was like a dream.

I've still got it, but I dismantled it about 10 years ago and it still is in that state. Dents all over the back of the neck too. I really didn't treat that guitar properly although I loved it.
  • seany65seany65 Frets: 264
    edited December 2015
    Korean Epi Sheraton in Black/brown burst. Annoying neck dive and the pickup switch needed changing twice, but stable tuning, even when bending.

No I idea why I sold it. Apart from me being a pillock, obviously.

• The first guitar I really bonded with was my Ric 330/6. I'd had a number of guitars before that which I liked, but weren't *quite* what I was looking for at the time. I do wish I'd kept the Ibby Artist though. I took the Ric to a jam recently and lent it to my mate for half the session. It led to the worst case of GAS I'd ever witnessed! He managed to get hold of one yesterday. I think his mrs is a little upset with me at the moment!
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • The Epi SG I had for about 12 years. I ended up putting some SDs in it. Great guitar; it was that comfy to play that I sold a Gibson Standard after preferring the Epi.

I swapped it for something else earlier this year, when I had it in my head that it didn't have the tone I wanted.

That was before I started going to jam nights, where tone is of the least importance.

If I saw it again, I'd buy it back.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31591
    My Cunetto Strat.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GruGru Frets: 339
    Martin OMXAE.
    But probably like a lot of other members with a guitar they have bonded with, like a dick, I sold it!?!
  • I feel I bonded with all my early guitars.  Each one was a step up from the one before and seemed great to me at the time, however pitifully inadequate I'd think they were now.  I'd no experience of anything better to make me dissatisfied with what I had.  And they were guitars - I mean how cool is that?
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”