PRS S2 Satins

What's Hot

Not sure why but I'm getting a bit of GAS for some of these:-

http://www.prsguitars.com/blog/post/meet_the_new_prs_s2_satins

The normal S2's look good but the gloss finishes appeal less than these for some reason, maybe because they look like cheap versions of core models where these look more like models in their own right.

I got a Tokai Les Paul this year which is ace, but it has all of the issues all Les Paul's have and I just can't get on with it, so I'm thinking of a change with these being high up the list.  Most of these look they will retail for £899, which for a US PRS is reasonable, although I guess for a few hundred more you can get into used core territory.

Still for the price of these they look good value, my only reservation would be they won't hold their price and I should try one out then wait for some 2nd hand to appear for SE money.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7973
    edited December 2015
    Yeah I like the look of these.

The lost value is relative - you can lose a huge amount of actual cash on a core model these days (or any high value guitar really).

There isn't anything comparable in the core line from what I'm aware of if the satin finish is what is interesting you.  Some models have satin finish maple necks but they're quite expensive (I think @thomasross20 has a pair).

• AdamskiAdamski Frets: 1279
    These look great. The subject of value though I've learned over the years is quite moot. Sure you may be able to pick up a second hand core line model for a few hundred more but buying secondhand I have hardly ever found any 'keepers'. When you go in to a store and you play for hours on end, you are far more likely to find something you really gel with because you have such good conparisons. To me, that's worth more than the money you will save.

The real bargains are second hand from a dealer like Peach or Coda at a good price. Best of both worlds.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3477
    These have popped up on my radar too. I'm definitely liking these more and more each day. The satin finish seems to fit the down to earth ethos of the line.
  • markjmarkj Frets: 944
    How will the satin finishes wear will they mark easily?
  • ajaxajax Frets: 76
    Bear in mind that these are all "standards", in PRS speak- all mahogany, no maple cap.  May be right up your strasse, but you have suggested replacing a LP with one
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5625
    Cool though that to do satin means they are spraying nitro on these. That's pretty unusual for any PRS model. Remarkable value...
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12319
    Satin neck do exist in PRS but normally with only Maple and Rosewood necks, and when PRS do them, its normally figured maple necks and as we know, rosewood necks command a higher premium too so typically these necks that the guitar attached to is quite expensive.  

There are exceptions, some models have maple necks, my 305 has a maple neck not figured but still s very nice to play, sounds great and smooth as a baby's bum.

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Cracking review
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Superb
    Superb playing Simon.
    See another reason to buy one. That sounded very nice.
  • Look good BUT like the suhr satins the slippy body has my arm not resting at all

• Just reading some of the blurb off the ad:-  For reference, the finish on a typical PRS Core or S2 guitar is 9-10 mils thick, our new satin finishes are about 1 mil thick - a tenth of the thickness of our already super-thin finish offerings.

Had no idea the finish on a normal PRS was 9-10mm, that sounds really thick, not that I'm too fussed about such things nowadays.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FuzzdogFuzzdog Frets: 839
    edited December 2015

Just reading some of the blurb off the ad:-  For reference, the finish on a typical PRS Core or S2 guitar is 9-10 mils thick, our new satin finishes are about 1 mil thick - a tenth of the thickness of our already super-thin finish offerings.

Had no idea the finish on a normal PRS was 9-10mm, that sounds really thick, not that I'm too fussed about such things nowadays.

Don't forget, they're Merkins and work in Imperial.  1 mil - 1 thousandth of an inch, or 0.0254mm.
    -- Before you ask, no, I am in no way, shape or form related to Fuzzdog pedals, I was Fuzzdog before Fuzzdog were Fuzzdog.  Unless you want to give me free crap, then I'm related to whatever the hell you like! --
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Fuzzdog said:

Just reading some of the blurb off the ad:-  For reference, the finish on a typical PRS Core or S2 guitar is 9-10 mils thick, our new satin finishes are about 1 mil thick - a tenth of the thickness of our already super-thin finish offerings.

Don't forget, they're Merkins and work in Imperial.  1 mil - 1 thousandth of an inch, or 0.0254mm.
    Ah
    :\">
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • teradaterada Frets: 5125
    edited December 2015

FYI https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thousandth_of_an_inch

As for the guitars, they look great. But I really wish the headstock was less pointy!

• The headstock shape is pretty acceptable these days, and I think it fits the guitars really well (especially the double cuts).  I never really think of it as pointy (I think Jackson, Ibanez etc when I think of that).

It does look like a wooden chip fork though.

• I'm not too bothered about the headstock, I prefer a Les Paul style, but really I just want a guitar that stays in tune first and foremost.

terada said:

FYI https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thousandth_of_an_inch

Thanks

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    So December last year these popped up on my radar and it took me till today to go try one, a standard 22 satin in vintage cherry. 

It feels and plays great, the woods and construction on par with my usual expectations of PRS, where it does feel cheap is the bridge, you can tell it's an SE bridge and I'd want to change that quickly as it didn't return to pitch and felt flimsy in use. The pickups also don't stack up against the quality of the guitar it felt like somebody had put part worn tyres on a race car. 
    Im going to buy one eventually as I really enjoyed it but I would need to change the pickups and bridge. 
  • as above, the SE trem is a bit of a deal breaker, especially when you are putting it in the same price bracket as one of the original CE22/24 models. 

" Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.