Hi-Fi Amp Humming

What's Hot

Greetings

Slightly off-topic but I know that you lot will probably have some useful advice on this.

After twenty years service my faithful Cambridge Audio amp has started humming/buzzing when you turn it on. It happens regardless of which source is selected and is independent of the volume control.

Any ideas?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GassageGassage Frets: 30916
    Give it a copy of the lyrics then it won't need to hum....

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    Probably a filter cap or a broken connection in the ground path somewhere. Does it do it on both speakers?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12901
    Sorry, should have been clearer. It's not coming out the speakers - it's the actual amp itself that hums. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    If it's a physical hum it sounds like a loose transformer mounting, or de-lamination.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• 4114Effects4114Effects Frets: 3131
    tFB Trader
    Just turn up the music until you can't hear the humming. Simple.