Modelling Amp comparison 2017

What's Hot
Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
edited April 2017 in FX
Haven't done one of these in a while. It's not a blind test, I figured you can make your own mind up what you like. Here are the files: https://www.dropbox.com/s/5jxlim9xu1jrm3c/AmpComparison2017.zip?dl=0

For streamers: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8m9vlho8n4jhgv8/AACTqWnGswoNsubrOSZ1m--5a?dl=0

Be careful with these are some of them are without any speaker IR, so they are harsh sounding. The original DI is also there if you want to do any re-amping of your own; if you do, please post clips!!

In short: This compares my EVH5150III 50-watt head running into my Egnater cab, to running it into a loadbox and then an impulse, and then doing similar with some Helix models - the Panama, the Archetype Lead, and the Solo Lead OD.

There is a readme giving a more detailed breakdown. I know which one is my favourite, but I'd be interested to hear what you lot think. Have at it!!

Here are some reamps from @guitarfishbay through his Axe FX II:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ehz2su3ehkl216x/AABvw99-nlVF_m3_RY9YYy7Ja?dl=0

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    I added a file too: https://www.dropbox.com/s/trqfp0ayjpm36qb/Helix Amp Model with IR - Line 6 Epic - Tons of EQ.wav?dl=0

This one is the Line 6 Epic amp. Same IR, but with a ton of EQ prior to the guitar hitting the amp model, and then a ton of EQ after the cab. Frequencies selected were based on a tone match I did with the 5150III 'Red' + Loadbox + IR clip.

• DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    Got mine.  
    No interest huh?
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7961
    edited April 2017
    One reason might be it's a .zip file and you can't play those on an iPad.  Maybe have 320 MP3 files in the folder to be streamed and have a .wav zip folder for people who want those?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 2017
    Edit new link in later post
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7807
    Interested but not able to listen till after the weekend. You going to keep it there a while?
    Interested but not able to listen till after the weekend. You going to keep it there a while?
    Aye boss, it'll be there for some time.
    Baby steps... but I think I'm done micing up cabs!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • It'd be cool if one of the guys using pedal preamps did a reamp.

I've also got my favourites but intend to do a couple more reamps with other Axe FX 2 models first, sticking with basic controls... but I might do a few with advanced tweaks (if I do I'll declare them). 
    Yeah maybe @digitalscream could do a reamp through his Bogner Red?
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26631
    edited April 2017
    I'd love to, but I don't have a reamp box

EDIT: Actually, thinking about it...I think I've got an inline impedance-matching transformer somewhere. That and a signal attenuator might do the trick...
    <space for hire>
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28407
    Drew_TNBD said:
    No interest huh?
    I'll give it a go over the weekend.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Just a question on gain staging. Did you record the DI first and reamp all with it, or was the DI taken when tracking with one of the setups and if so have you calibrated your reamping chain to be unity with itself?

I assume you'd have thought of this 
    Just a question on gain staging. Did you record the DI first and reamp all with it, or was the DI taken when tracking with one of the setups and if so have you calibrated your reamping chain to be unity with itself?

I assume you'd have thought of this 
    DI was taken and then re-amped through everything via the Helix. No real configuration needed as it's all in the digital realm until it exits the Helix. Everything was unity gain and consistent across different patches and devices. I just dialled each model in to sound as close as I could get. I wish I had an Axe FX here to tit about with and do a bunch of comparisons!

Thinking of it, maybe today I'll do some re-amps through my Sig X. See what the tonal comparison is.
  • Yeah cool.  I like that about using SPDIF and the Axe FX 2 as well.  Everything stays the same so you can re-amp/punch in whenever and all the gain stages are the same
  • I'll listen later, thanks for doing the hard work mate. 

Out of interest, did you dial in your favourite "perfect" tone on one (which your face is) then try to match? 
    I'll listen later, thanks for doing the hard work mate. 

Out of interest, did you dial in your favourite "perfect" tone on one (which your face is) then try to match? 
    Yeah I was trying to nail my settings on the red channel of my 5150III 50-watter. Once I set the amp up to sound good to me, I didn't touch any of the amp settings.

I'm gonna do the Sig X in a bit, coz I'm actually quite interested in how it'll turn out!
    edited April 2017
    Ok scratch my first attempt.  I didn't spot I had some non amp block settings engaged from the patch I copy pasted for the comparison... namely the noisegate was on and for some reason the impedance setting wasn't on auto.

I've re-done a bunch in this folder.  In ongoing chat with Drew on FB hence a couple of versions of some.  They should be clearly labelled.  Unless specified it's all using basic controls + speaker page (just low res).  

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ehz2su3ehkl216x/AABvw99-nlVF_m3_RY9YYy7Ja?dl=0