Tweed Bassman speaker wiring puzzle!

Hi, I have a Tweed bassman clone that is wired with two pairs of speakers going into two separate mini jacks into the amp.
I just read that normally the speakers are connected positive to positive. I noticed that mine were pos to neg so changed them round but they definitely sounded out of phase then. So obviously mine are in phase pos to neg, is that possible?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    Are they in series? ie amp > speaker 1 > speaker 2 > amp, three wires not four. If so then positive to negative is correct.

Mini-jacks sounds like a bad idea...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• liftmanliftman Frets: 61
    Thanks for the reply. Yes, each pair has a wire from the jack going to the pos of one and neg of the other. Then another wire attaches the other pos and neg.
    Would two pairs in series like this react differently to the usual parallel wiring ( and therefore sound different)?
    I guess they are mini jacks, the outer casing is only a bit smaller than guitar jack but the stem is definitely thinner. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    liftman said:
    Thanks for the reply. Yes, each pair has a wire from the jack going to the pos of one and neg of the other. Then another wire attaches the other pos and neg.
    Would two pairs in series like this react differently to the usual parallel wiring ( and therefore sound different)?
    Slightly, yes. But it's not easy to compare the two or to change it, since the reason they're done like that will be to work with an 8-ohm output transformer. Original Bassmans have all the speakers in parallel, with a 2-ohm transformer.

liftman said:

I guess they are mini jacks, the outer casing is only a bit smaller than guitar jack but the stem is definitely thinner. 
    If they're 3.5mm mini-jacks I would replace them with proper jacks, they're a bit flimsy for speaker connections.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein